Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

God save the Queen

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Why do England have it as their National Anthem, yet Scotland and Wales don't. Yet throughout the jubilee celebration's The anthem was sung all over Great Britain. The Queen is not just our Queen so why are we the only 1s to adopt the anthem? I know its a bit of a pointless thread but it has been playing on my mind.

Last edited:

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
The thing to remember is that the England football team - despite all the rhetorical nonsense you hear - is representing the Football Association, not the country. So tbh the anthem chosen isn't really a big deal. I'd choose something that inspires the players (like "Flower of Scotland' does Scottish teams), if there is such a song, though I bet it makes next to no difference. In the past, Jerusalem might've done the trick, but I bet these days half the team wouldn't even know it, never mind be inspired by it.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The thing to remember is that the England football team - despite all the rhetorical nonsense you hear - is representing the Football Association, not the country. So tbh the anthem chosen isn't really a big deal. I'd choose something that inspires the players (like "Flower of Scotland' does Scottish teams), if there is such a song, though I bet it makes next to no difference. In the past, Jerusalem might've done the trick, but I bet these days half the team wouldn't even know it, never mind be inspired by it.

What garbage. They are not representing the FA, they are chose by the FA to represent England. You might as well say that none of the British athletes at the olympics are representing GB, they are merely representing their governing body!!!!

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Jerusalem, all day every day.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Gold - Spandau Ballet

would inspire other sportsmen and women to be winners.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Land Of Hope And Glory would be my personal preference.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
What garbage. They are not representing the FA, they are chose by the FA to represent England. You might as well say that none of the British athletes at the olympics are representing GB, they are merely representing their governing body!!!!

er, it's not garbage. if England weren't representing our national league, then we wouldn't have an England team. We'd have to play as Britain.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why do England have it as their National Anthem, yet Scotland and Wales don't.

England doesn't have a national anthem, that's why. The reason Wales and Scotland don't use is simply because they don't need to.

We have to borrow it (like an oversize jacket) when we turn up representing England.

How very, very, very embarrassing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here