Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

God Save the Queen, Land of Hope & Glory or Jerusalem?

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
God Save Our Queen or King. The words are completely out of time and context with the modern world (modern England/Britain) and the tune itself is a dirge.

A reworking (and loan) of Good Old Sussex By The Sea would be much more rousing and patriotic.

"England bounded by the Sea, England bounded by the Sea - Oh we're going Up...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
God Save the Queen for me. Sung by 90,000 odd a full volume is immense. Don't care if its the British anthem

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I hate this debate. Everyone here grew up with GSTQ and no matter how much people bleat on about Jerusalem when GSTQ starts up your mental association kicks in far quicker whether you care to admit it or not.

'oh its a dirge' 'land of hope and glory is more stirring' etc etc zzzzzzz. say anything against post euro 96 English nationalism and you are some sort of Colonel Blimp, its embarassing what the party line is on all this in England now.

land of hope and glory makes me think of it aint half hot mum. jerusalem makes me think of school assembly. gstq makes me think of my country. end of story as far as i am concerned.

It makes me laugh when people say our sense of tradition is one of our defining characteristics, while we are all getting in state about flags and anthems like some crap new balkan country emerging from a vicious ethnic war.

who would have thought devolution would send everyone into identity meltdown like this.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
ANY anthem we have would be seen as divisive these days,can you imagine the shami chakrabartis of this world belting out land of hope and glory ?

Don't see why not - she seems quite happy with her CBE.

I think you've misunderstood her politics, but I'd imagine she gets that all the time.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Having just heard Jerusalem at the Commonwealth games even more in favour of God Save the Queen

Paynaldinho

May 4, 2008
Jerusalem all the way.

I would go with Jerusalem

does anyone else think that the reason that we haven't had Jerusalem up to now is due to who wrote it? Or just because queeny would be upset for not hearing the dreary GStQ? In my opinion there is no doubt that it would be the best national anthem for England

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
I hate this debate. Everyone here grew up with GSTQ and no matter how much people bleat on about Jerusalem when GSTQ starts up your mental association kicks in far quicker whether you care to admit it or not.

'oh its a dirge' 'land of hope and glory is more stirring' etc etc zzzzzzz. say anything against post euro 96 English nationalism and you are some sort of Colonel Blimp, its embarassing what the party line is on all this in England now.

land of hope and glory makes me think of it aint half hot mum. jerusalem makes me think of school assembly. gstq makes me think of my country. end of story as far as i am concerned.

It makes me laugh when people say our sense of tradition is one of our defining characteristics, while we are all getting in state about flags and anthems like some crap new balkan country emerging from a vicious ethnic war.

who would have thought devolution would send everyone into identity meltdown like this.

oh shut up.

It's a shit tune. Do you understand? It's a boring tune. Get it?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
oh shut up.

It's a shit tune. Do you understand? It's a boring tune. Get it?

so countries change their anthems because they are boring do they? is that what people are arguing? is that what i need to understand? hahahaha yeah alright.

as for shut up you have never written a thing thats been interesting funny or perceptive on here in my recollection. for a self confessed comedy fan you do not seem to have any sense of humour whatsoever.

put me on ignore it will be good for your health as i obviously wind you up.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Another offering from the upstarts [yt]bGwFDL90lHs[/yt]

It mentions "The Red, The White and The Blue" and "Britannia". Apart from that, it's a million miles better than God Save The Establishment.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
We need something like this:

[yt]6uDyOLgf2jo[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here