Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

God Save the Queen, Land of Hope & Glory or Jerusalem?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
God Save The Queen is a national embarrassment and slowly the country are coming round to the fact. According to Wikipedia (yes I know...) 55% of the population agree with Bushy's suggestion.

A national anthem should be patriotic (nothing wrong with that) but unfortunately we have adopted something that celebrates the Head of State rather than the country.

Fine if you live in North Korea.....

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
If GSTQ had the words changed to "God save the people" it would be far better.
It would still be tuneless and dull though. Plus "I hope you're alright" just isn't that inspiring a sentiment for an anthem.
Especially when expressed through such asinine lyrics as:
Send him/her/them victorious
Happy and glorious

???

I have no idea who wrote God Save The Queen/King, presumably they were about seven at the time.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
R-2012324-1258477634.jpeg

:clap2:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
LOH&G every day of the week... you only need to watch the last night of the proms to see why..

England used to walk out to it at Wembley

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
On the topic of anthems I loved the Montegrin one tonight.

[yt]t1MsW_E-KyI[/yt]

Utterly evil. :bowdown:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
'Land of Hope and Glory' has the same problem as GSTQ - it's British not English. Plus it's still a bit of a dirge and the words are SHIT. Out of the classic tunes 'Jerusalem' is the best we've got, but I'll admit it's not perfect

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
'Land of Hope and Glory' has the same problem as GSTQ - it's British not English. Plus it's still a bit of a dirge and the words are SHIT. Out of the classic tunes 'Jerusalem' is the best we've got, but I'll admit it's not perfect
Land of hope and glory is associated with england , none of the other home nations,there is no way on earth you can call a dirge, its one of the most rousing tunes ive ever heard, and i LOVE the words for the simple reason they will piss off labour voting colonial guilt types who live in brighton.

PS the last bit isnt aimed at you btw

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Land of hope and glory is associated with england , none of the other home nations,there is no way on earth you can call a dirge, its one of the most rousing tunes ive ever heard, and i LOVE the words for the simple reason they will piss off labour voting colonial guilt types who live in brighton.

PS the last bit isnt aimed at you btw
This. And I'd rather annoy those types than the big minority of people who are anti-Royalist in this country. GSTQ is f***ing SHIT on every level.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
GSTQ = British, not English
LOH&G = British, not English
Jerusalem = English, religious.

So for a secular English anthem, we're a little bit stuffed, - but the best crowd rouser of the three is Jerusalem.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Land of Hope and Glory. Jerusalem too religious.

Interestingly, I know of several people who, when getting married in church, were refused Jerusalem as a hymn as it was not religious enough.

Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory would do though. God Save the Queen is very poor as a National Anthem, but not as bad as Flower of Scotland. The ones that give me goosebumps every time I hear them are, shockingly, the Welsh and French National Anthems.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Interestingly, I know of several people who, when getting married in church, were refused Jerusalem as a hymn as it was not religious enough.

Jerusalem or Land of Hope and Glory would do though. God Save the Queen is very poor as a National Anthem, but not as bad as Flower of Scotland. The ones that give me goosebumps every time I hear them are, shockingly, the Welsh and French National Anthems.
The Welsh, French and Germans have all got proper ROUSING anthems. Personally I :love: La Marseillaise and wish it was ours.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The Welsh, French and Germans have all got proper ROUSING anthems. Personally I :love: La Marseillaise and wish it was ours.

Yes indeed. But they have to be sung by thousands to get the full effect. Land of our Fathers in Wales at a Rugby International is the best, imo, with the Frenchies just behind.

Is this poll for England football internationals? As none of the players seem to know the words to God Save the Queen, we had better stick with that as the other two will be far too complicated for them to remember. :ohmy:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
GOSBTS - Don't care what those Johnny foreigners from Hampshire, Yorkshire etc sing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here