Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goal line technology

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The outcry if the technology fails will be NOTHING compared to the outcry yesterday that killed the FA Cup Semi-Final stone dead.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
The system FIFA are looking at is designed by HawkEye - the same people that do the Cricket and Wimbledon. The system is based upon multiple ball-tracking cameras.

This is spot on. They have been using St. Mary's for the last couple of seasons to test it and the events of the weekend will no doubt have sped up the time it will take to bring it to market.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Frankly I'd be more interested in stopping the incessant diving and cheating that goes on these days (I include some of our own players in that), as well as the completely unreasonable abuse of officials by players and managers.

Word, make it so only the Captain can speak to the referee. I'm not sure how you would solve the diving issue. It's already a bookable offence and I wouldn't be in favours of replays to determine an issue which can be pretty subjective.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Word, make it so only the Captain can speak to the referee. I'm not sure how you would solve the diving issue. It's already a bookable offence and I wouldn't be in favours of replays to determine an issue which can be pretty subjective.

I agree. I hate the idea of anything that would stop the game. But I'd be quite happy for referees to get a bit tougher on it in the game (if players thought they might get booked wrongly on occasion, then it should deter them from flinging their arms out, Platoon style, every time they're touched). And I'm certainly in favour of retrospective action after games if players are deemed to have thrown themselves to the floor.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Easy to implement and hardly any break in play needed.
If a goal is scored which is disputed by the opposition a 4th official views it on TV while the celebrations are going on, by the time they get back to the centre circle it's either:
a. Kick off as normal after a goal
b. Drop ball on the centre spot (if the ref is incorrect that the ball crossed the line)
c. A red card if an attacker has dived (in case of a penalty)

If you are a genuine football fan the last thing you want to see is incessant stoppages whilst a 'third' ref checks the video over and over again and even then it isn't clear cut. GLT is nothing to do with watching videos.

Long overdue. When the likes of Rugby, Cricket & Tennis have moved on to 21st Century technology, Football is refusing to budge with the times. Far far too many vital decisions are being incorrectly called by the officials in split seconds.

The officials need help with goal line technology. Video evidence should be used more to decide decisions such as the Ashley Young penalty yesterday. What is wrong with a 'fifth official watching a screen & then calling the ref via his headset to inform him: "That cheating twat Young trailed his leg & dived"? Or if the Ref is 50/50 about a decision, him calling for a second opinion?

The sooner it happens, the better.

If you are a genuine football fan then you would be well aware that there are far more natural stoppages to review decisions in cricket, tennis and even rugby. If they introduced it in football, which I hope they don't, they would have to have an independent time keeper rather than the ref adding arbitrary minutes at the end of a game. You don't need video to eliminate diving at the time. The FA need to have the balls to impose retrospective bans, probably of at least eight games, irrespective of any punishment the ref metes out during the game.

Could a bleep not be placed a ball circumference behind every goal at Prem Championship and FL games and give the ref an earpiece if this sounds it would mean that the ball has completely crossed the line wherever on the ball the bleep is inserted as the receiver isa complete ball behind the line. The cost to implement this through out football would be minimal in relation to transfer fees and wages.

Keep up at the back there!!!

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
According to SSN it is likely to be approved by FIFA possibly in time for the premiership next season. I am sure the vast majority will agree it is long overdue but how foolproof will the new system be ?
Can you imagine the outcry if the technology fails in a high profile game.

Wouldn't affect us, we dont get close enough to the goal line.

Shit i just caught myself being cynical.

Come you Seagulls :albion2:...............ah that's better back to normal.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
full page advert in the Telegraph sport section today - made me chuckle :laugh:

goal_line_technology_specsavers.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here