FOR or AGAINST goaline technology

• FOR goalline technology

Votes: 95 76.6%
  • AGAINST goaline technology

Votes: 29 23.4%

• Total voters

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Two. Sepp Blatter's on my side*, I think he'll be along to vote in the poll after the argentina/mexico game.

I didn't say it was too expensive, I said it wasn't cost effective, and that was just one issue. The big issue for me is the sea change in the laws and structure of the game. Time being added on, challenges being made and used simply to waste time/interrupt opponent's momentum, where the line is drawn, referee's being undermined, and so on.

*Yeah, I don't feel good about that association. I'd prefer if it was just me.

Agree, where would you draw the line? There would be challenges for free kicks, goals, penalties etc. The game would last AGES.

Mr Apples

Jack Scrumpy
Aug 9, 2007
In The Orchard
Agree, where would you draw the line? There would be challenges for free kicks, goals, penalties etc. The game would last AGES.

I think it would have to be restricted to situations of fact (ball crossing the line) rather than opinions (was it a free kick or not). Free kicks, penalties etc. are the opinions of the referee and as such probably not reviewable.

However, whether you would then be able to make a challenge based on the ref having given a free kick which you think was inside the box. I don't know.

Perhaps, like tennis or American Football you have a restricted number of challenges per half (2 or 3?) and if you use one and you're proved right you keep it, but if wrong you lose it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
100% for.

All you need to do is give the 4th official a video screen with acccess to a variety of angles, he can communicate to the referee whether or not the ball has crossed the line, and the game goes on.

As others have said, so many other sports use some form of technology, and Blatter needs to (although he won't) let football join them in the 21st century in that respect.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
for - unfortunately it seems to be a moot point as people have been clammering for it for years now and here we are in a big game and up it pops yet again....

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I doubt that you'll ever stop all errors but there is a lot than can be done to cut down on them. Don't forget that some teams have had goals disallowed because they bounced out. I think maybe adopting the American system of making three claims for an error. Be a start anyway.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The technology is already up and running in tennis, cricket and rugby. It's a no-brainer. Blatter should accept it or be consigned to the dustbin of history sooner rather than later.

Difference is, in Rugby the game has to stop so replays can be seen. In football it is even easier than that. Hawkeye have already developed a system whereby if the ball in its' entirity crosses the goalline, a beep sounds in the referees ear instantaneously. Simples. Doesn't even require stopping the game, and the technology is already there and tested (although not at professional level).

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
The idea of a fourth referee is the most logical...forget the adavnced technology. Every major ground for evey major competeition is equipped with cameras that cover the goal and potential offside areas. The fourth referee can be called in in the same way as cricket...or you may consider having limited challenges like in tennis... both of these will limit their usage so as to not overdelay a game..

On both occassions yesterday, if there had been a fourth ref, it would have changed the games completely.

Those of you who say it wouldnt have changed the England game are being idiotic. At 2-2 England's tails would have been up like they havent been at any time in this competition and the Germans would have been shellshocked.... would England have won ... I have no idea but it's like saying it didn't matter that you didnt reach the girl crossing the road when she go hit by a car because she's always clumsy and she would have been hit sooner or later anyway... would anyone honestly say that?

In these circumstances I always look at it from the view of us as BHA fans.

Would it bother me that the Premiership, Champions League and World Cup etc. use technology us in the lower divisions wouldm't or couldn't have - not in the slightest.

Has it bothered me that England were deprived of a perfectly legitimate goal that the whole planet could see was over the line - yes it bloody does.

Would it bother me if we are in a Premiership play-off final and in the last minute have a perfectly good goal disallowed for exactly the same reason when the entire stadium and watching millions can see it is a good goal - and it costs us promotion and everything that goes with it - off course it sodding would and any BHA fan who says otherwise is talking rubbish.

Of course goal line technology makes sense where it is practical and sensible to use it and if anyone on here is telling me the World Cup Finals do not represent a practical and sensible situation then we may all as well pack up watching football because it is now a joke and stuck in the age of the dinosaur.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Probably controversially, I don't want to see video technology used at all in games.

Slippery slope I'm afraid - there will be calls for it to be used all the time.

The sports they are currently used in are significantly different in nature to football, in terms of the breaks in play they have.

I would be happy to see more officials however.

If we have some sort of review system, it must NOT include a challenge system. American "foot"ball, cricket, tennis, rugby league etc are all stop-start games, and there is room for challenges or for the ref to call for the TV ref/umpire. Football isn't like that, so it would be bloody awful. What about counter-attack? What about the attacking team coming back at the defending team? All gone as an appeal is made to the fourth official.

At a push, there's room for an automatic sensor which beeps (although I have no idea how that could be separated from a player falling into the net); possibly there is a place for someone watching replays on TV as the game carries on - as long as they have no more than, say, 12 seconds to come to a decision. All other systems would be terrible and ruin the game.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Sorry to drag this up again, but I have just heard Graham Poll on Talksport talking about this.

Regardless of the pros and cons of goal line technology, I can't help but despise that supercilious, self important, pontificating know-all, prize cock.
What a complete and utter w4nker this bloke is. He gives Refs (who already have a bad name) a bad name. Needs reminding on a daily basis about the three yellow cards he gave the Croatia player, not that this would make him realise that I am not interested in his devalued opinion.

They are going to play his interview again shortly. I'm tempted to turn over to 5Live, but don't get me started on Richard Bacon, another complete tosser ...bla....bla...bla

OK. Ok. Nice cuppa tea. Deep breaths. Calming down now.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Agree on Poll - what a tool. Disagree on Bacon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here