Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Dont care

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
I dont have strong veiws on this topic. I have a friend who's a lefty and a chemist and she says there is nothing wrong with it so thats good enough for me.

What about you lot?

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not raelly sure aboutt he medical aspects of it all, but i don't like it when scientists atart f***ing with genes and stuff.

However, organic and free range foos will always tastbetter than anything that has been messed with.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
However, organic and free range foos will always tastbetter than anything that has been messed with.

yer that Dave Grohl tates mighty fine :p

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
All for it.
The yanks have been eating it for years.
There's not enough food about so time to start messing with genes

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I thought the problem would come in food companies start to copyright the plants and animals they've designed. It isn't so much the environmental damage that the GM crops can do, as the economic if organisations gain control over farming methods.

From a scientific point of view I'd say GM is neutral. It can be good or bad, but isn't either in itself.

Dandyman

In London village.
Duncan H said:
I thought the problem would come in food companies start to copyright the plants and animals they've designed. It isn't so much the environmental damage that the GM crops can do, as the economic if organisations gain control over farming methods.

From a scientific point of view I'd say GM is neutral. It can be good or bad, but isn't either in itself.

Agree - US companies have already started to claim patents on rice stopping farmers in developing countries from growing their own without paying punitive fees. IMHO it is the patenting of food stuffs that is a far bigger worry than GM food as such.

sherriffbart

Sep 24, 2003
Has anyone stopped to think why children are far taller and larger than 15 years ago?

Why milk does not go off as quickly as before.

Why bowel cancer is more prevalent now

If we knew what was being put into our food ( growth hormones, pesticides etc) I think there would be a severe backlash against the modern farming methods and our food industry as a whole.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Dandyman said:
Agree - US companies have already started to claim patents on rice stopping farmers in developing countries from growing their own without paying punitive fees. IMHO it is the patenting of food stuffs that is a far bigger worry than GM food as such.

This actually doesn't make any sense, if the fees where punative then it would be cheaper not to use the GM crops. So they wouldn't use them.

Basic economics.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The thing about the entire debate is that the people in the know who have an opnion also have a vested interest in the proliferation and non-proliferation of these modified crops. The rest of us are just left in the dark.

If we could have some neutral fact-based information, I am sure that arguments could be clarified, and hence finished, and we can argue about something else.

Last edited:

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
Though not actually genetically modified, I bet the GM brigade don't protest about altering our food with vitamins, ie breakfast cereals and the like. If a food is good for you, why add stuff to it? The answer is because it isn't.
Sunny D is a prime example of this. A totally artificial drink, yet boasts "with loads of vitamins." What's next? Sausages? Dripping?

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
The Large One said:
If we could have some neutral fact-based information, I am sure that arguments could be clarified, and hence finished, and we can argue about something else.

You could say that about almost any subject discussed on here.
What's wrong with a good old mass debate, anyway? Always makes me feel better. :D

Dandyman

In London village.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
They should have had a 10-year trial run in China.

If it goes tits up nobody cares and the plans are shelved, if its proved to be safe and the environments OK then bring it over to the West.

The Cat in the Hat

Sep 10, 2003
JEM said:
Though not actually genetically modified, I bet the GM brigade don't protest about altering our food with vitamins, ie breakfast cereals and the like. If a food is good for you, why add stuff to it? The answer is because it isn't.
Sunny D is a prime example of this. A totally artificial drink, yet boasts "with loads of vitamins." What's next? Sausages? Dripping?

I hate to dispel your myth JEM, but Sunny D is NOT Good for you, the food manufacturers might add some vitamins, but they also add loads of crap (usually sugar) that is not good for the diet.

Sausages, have been packed with cereal for years, best try to find a 98%+ sausage if you want good healthy food.

Most Breakfast Cereals are full of sugar and are over processed nowadays, and as such are not good in a healthy balanced diet.

At the moment I can choose wether to eat these processed foods or eat natural foods. If GM was allowed I would not be sure wether a food was natural or not, (cross contamination etc.) and would not be able to make any proper food choices.

We should not allow GM Foods at all

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
Safeway said:
Hmm, that's probably more an argument for the 'No' camp.

Personally I say carry on meddling. IMHO organic stuff generally tastes really bland. Maybe it is how God intended but all that says to me is that God has boring taste.

Humans rule.

wot u on about? not that i buy organic food much, too bloody expensive but have you seen the difference between a free range chicken and a cheap one?

bland is the shite we get in our supermarkets

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here