Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glyndebourne Wind Turbine gets the green light!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Great stuff, up yours nimbys.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The NIMBYs have had two pokes in the eye with a sharp stick with this and the National Park.
And all good things come in threes so they say.

Glyndebourne wind turbine wins approval
By Rachel Wareing

Councillors have voted to allow a controversial wind turbine to be built.

Lewes District Council's planning committee voted in favour of the 70-metre turbine which will supply energy to Glyndebourne Opera House near Lewes.

Planning officers had recommended the application should be refused.

The plan has split opinion among residents and local groups.

But I thought that development in an AONB was ILLEGAL and that Lewes councillors had a public duty to uphold the law.

Ho hum.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Good news we should have more of these wind turbines I rather like them

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Windmills are a thing of Beauty in the English Countryside, these new ones are just 21st upgrades that help against Global Warming. Anyone against them can piss off to China & their coal factorys IMO!

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
To be fair, LDC probably see this as being 'Of national importance' whereas they do not see the stadium in the same light OR am I being a bit too generous?

Yes you are. The reason is that they are cocks.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Hooray for windmills! But if they demolish the old mill post in the process I will demand a public enquiry. That's mine! Well, my late grandad's, anyway.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The Nimbies fight on...

Turbine opponents demand public inquiry
By Andy Dickenson

Countryside campaigns have vowed to fight proposals to build a wind turbine on the Sussex Downs.

Lewes District Council's planning committee last week voted in favour of a 70 metre turbine to supply energy to Glyndebourne Opera House.

Planning officers had recommended the application be refused but at a packed meeting at Lewes Town Hall it was approved by six votes to four.

But national organisations including the Campaign to Protect Rural England (CPRE), the Council for National Parks and the Ramblers Association are all staunchly opposed to the plan - and are now calling for a public enquiry into the council's decision.

The proposal has so divided locals that it must be examined by communities secretary Hazel Blears before any work can start.

Ruth Chambers, head of policy at the Council for National Parks, said: "We are calling for a public inquiry into this proposed development.

"It is madness to build such a huge structure on such a sensitive and prominent part of the South Downs."

Roy Haycock, the chairman of CPRE Sussex said: "We are deeply disturbed to hear that the council wishes to grant permission against its own planning officer's recommendations. This turbine has huge opposition both nationally and locally."

Directors at Glyndebourne hope to erect the 850kw turbine at Mill Plain, 400m from the opera house, to power the site via an underground cable.

Engineers believe it would generate enough electricity to meet all the prestigious venue's energy requirements for a year.

Extra electricity would then be used to feed nearby homes through the National Grid.

But council officers had recommended the plans refused on grounds the structure could harm the natural beauty, character and tranquility of the nearby landscape.

Despite more than 70 letters supporting the green initiative, councillors said they had received a further 230 from local households against the scheme.

Some said the turbine would be an "educational resource" and an "elegant and graceful addition to the landscape".

Others described it as "alien", threatening to overshadow Ringmer, damaging the views from nearby footpaths and even affecting TV receptions.

Jacquetta Fewster, the director of the South Downs Society, said: "All the countryside protection organisations are in favour of appropriate renewable energy but argue that great thought must be given to the type and size of renewable energy developed, particularly in special landscapes such as Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and National Parks."

Gus Christie, the executive chairman of Glyndebourne Productions, argued the South Downs AONB management plan stresses that "landscapes are dynamic, living and constantly changing".

He added: "Green initiatives of this kind should be encouraged in the battle to protect the environment from climate change.

"We are delighted that Glyndebourne's application to build a wind turbine, to supply the opera house with renewable energy and greatly reduce our carbon footprint, has been given the go-ahead by Lewes District Council.

"Climate change is one of the most important challenges facing our generation and it is imperative that we act now."

Ms Blears has the power to order a public enquiry and is expected to reach her decision within the next few weeks.

Surely she is too busy to make the enquiry decision!! :bla:

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/loca...0.turbine_opponents_demand_public_inquiry.php

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
While they're whirling, can they grind WHEAT as well, to make FLOUR and stuff ?
I love bread, me.

I'm really looking forward to the prospect of Lewes District Council having to DEFEND their decision to allow a major development in the AONB.

The Council Officers won't be prepared to defend the decision, of course, because they recommended against it. In these circumstances, the convention is that the council hires consultants to make its case. Maybe the Albion's planning team would be prepared to take LDC's cash and tell the Inquiry just how right this particular LDC decision was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here