Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glyndebourne-v-Falmer

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just how do you get planning permission,for Glyndebourne in a genuine area of an unspoilt part of the South Downs? Whilst the same authority,seems willing to spend money which is not theirs in opposing Falmer.:angry: Maybe someone from LDC can give us an answer?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Good point. That area is really special, even the llamas love it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Maybe there is a tenuous link because opera fans (likely to vote Tory/Libdem) go to Glyndebourne, whereas footy fans (likely to vote Labour) will be going to Falmer.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Without wishing to sound like a 1970s SWP/Class War seller, I have always thought that the Falmer/Lewes DC objections are everything to do with social class/supposed protection of property values and have absolutely nothing to do with the environment.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
mona said:
Without wishing to sound like a 1970s SWP/Class War seller, I have always thought that the Falmer/Lewes DC objections are everything to do with social class/supposed protection of property values and have absolutely nothing to do with the environment.

I think there is an element of that plus they are convinced if the stadium goes ahead it will create a precedent for the whole area between Woodingdean, Bevendean and Falmer to be built up.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yorkie said:
I think there is an element of that plus they are convinced if the stadium goes ahead it will create a precedent for the whole area between Woodingdean, Bevendean and Falmer to be built up.

Which of course it won't because the Stadium is an "exceptional case" under PPS7, which other developments - such as supermarkets - are unlikely to pass.

Last edited:

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
Curious Orange said:
Was that rolling open downland I spotted behind that, er, building?

The landscape around Glyndebourne is far more sensitive than Falmer. LDC pulled out all the stops to approve the application because of the kudos attached to Glyndebourne. LDC effectively made an exception to all of the same policies that they are jumping up and down about in respect of the Falmer decision.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Jonathon Livingstone said:
The landscape around Glyndebourne is far more sensitive than Falmer. LDC pulled out all the stops to approve the application because of the kudos attached to Glyndebourne. LDC effectively made an exception to all of the same policies than they are jumping up and down about in respect of the Falmer decision.

And rightly so IMHO.

But LDC's hypocrisy is breath-taking. Well pointed out, JLS. You should write a letter to the Argus pointing this out.

I'm more and more convinced that this is nothing to do the AONB but more to do with being anti-football.

Actually, the planners gave the new Glyndebourne Opera House some serious grief when it was first proposed. Despite the fact that it is a stunning building, they basically wanted it completely shielded by trees so that no-one could see it.

Sadly, from out our way, we can only get a decent view of the place once autumn comes round. It is truly magnificent - because of its rural setting. A truly marvellous scene.

It is the largest post-WW2 building in the world with an entirely brick structure.

ab0000.jpg

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Gwylan said:
And rightly so IMHO.

But LDC's hypocrisy is breath-taking. Well pointed out, JLS. You should write a letter to the Argus pointing this out.

I
Already done and it was published on Tuesday.
What I said

"The council website states that it must pursue the matter because the Deputy Prime Minister's decision “conflicts with his own governments planning guidance designed to protect Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty against this sort of development.” Lewes D.C. has demonstrated an inconsistent approach to ANOBs. At the last Inquiry it put forward as an option Toads Hall Valley. Yet this site is within the AONB whereas the proposed development at Falmer would use part a Brownfield site where buildings already exist. It is also surrounded by University buildings, a railway station and a major 4 lane highway. Past redevelopments at Glyndebourne Opera and Goodwood racecourse have already shown that ANOBs are no impediment to development. "

No harm in repeating it though!
They are a load of hypocrites. If the University had proposed building an Opera House at Falmer do you think there would have been this opposition? Course not. They don't like football.

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
Lord Bracknell said:
Actually, the planners gave the new Glyndebourne Opera House some serious grief when it was first proposed. Despite the fact that it is a stunning building, they basically wanted it completely shielded by trees so that no-one could see it.
ab0000.jpg

Yes "the planners gave the new Glyndebourne Opera House some serious grief" but the Council (i.e. the Members) were desperate to approve it.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Jonathon Livingstone said:
The issue is not about the original opera house but the monstrous extension that was approved by LDC in the mid 90's:angry: (when I worked there as a town planner!)

http://85.234.132.19/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61402

Given your employment history (no wonder you left!) can you give us some insight into whether your erstwhile colleagues are all a bunch of fascist tree-hugging killjoy wierdos who want us all to eat muesli and ride bicycles (many planners are:)) and who are really behind this judicial review; or is this REALLY politically led?

Sep 24, 2003
Seven Dials
Screaming J said:
Given your employment history (no wonder you left!) can you give us some insight into whether your erstwhile colleagues are all a bunch of fascist tree-hugging killjoy wierdos who want us all to eat muesli and ride bicycles (many planners are:)) and who are really behind this judicial review; or is this REALLY politically led?

Without betraying any confidences I can safely say that several of the senior planners at LDC recommended against the JR.

I don't know what Lindsay Frost's (Director of Planning & Environmental Services) view is, but he is a big football fan and is a regular at Highbury.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here