Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Global warming....possible to argue?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Sorry mate this will be the last post where I will engage with you . If you want a serious argument with people you'll have to do better than linking to the page of an obvious bullshitter. It's tiring playing whackamole with you fringe nutters. If this thread isn't trolling then you are obviously a tin foil hatted loon and my wifi is too flakey today to waste time with this nonsense

DO NOT use tin foil! - very ‘un’ green.

Pyrex bowls equally effective with the advantage that they can be used over and over

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I find that I can read that more than one way, but to clarify my stance, I would say that I'm becoming more cynical about the datasets. They say the world is a small place, but you wouldn't want to paint it. The sheer mass of data that we don't fully understand could therefore send presumptions right out the double-glazed window.

But they could be 100%, so I treat my consumption and recycling efforts in line with the worst-case scenario anyway. There are so many megagobs that read a comic or see an article on tv, and convince themselves they 'know' stuff. Armchair experts on Climate Change ...Viriology....Economics....the list is endless

I go with empiricism.

Which is why you went with electroverse as your opening source. :lolol::lolol::lolol::hilton::dunce::stupid:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I often wonder if there is another possible "truth", these people make a credible case, but I wouldn't go so far as to say 'I believe' - the following pages are an interesting place to start.
https://electroverse.net/category/crop-loss/

I see you got pelters for this thread. :lolol:

Here's my take.

There is a good correlation between an increase in global temperature and a range of variables related to industrialisation and the generation of greenhouse gases.

All serious scientists infer cause and effect. Most remember to temper their exuberance with the caveat that correlation does not mean causation.

The theory of climate change has traction because it is plausible and because, if the trend is extrapolated, the consequences will be catestrophic.

In the meantime it is certainly the case that there are examples in nature of correlations that do not result from causation. There is a famous one about the migratory habits of some geese and the outcome of UK's general elections (apparently Labour only wins when the birds select a particular Siberian lake). This allows folk to speculate that climate change may be the result of something less plausible than human activity, with cow farts, sunspot activity and coincidence all offered.

I don't accept any argument that global temperature isn't rising because, for example, there have been record cold winters in parts of the world. The exception really doesn't prove the rule. And the weather isn't the climate.

The thing is, if humans are responsible for climate change then humans, in theory, could fix the problem hence the level of interest.

As a scientist I respect the tenacity of a good hypothesis, and 'humans have cause climate change' is a hypothesis with tenacity. It has been around for decades and it has not been disproven. That doesn't mean, of course (you can guess the rest) :lolol: :thumbsup:

Note that, unlike your actual NSC trolls, you do deserve the courtesy of a serious reply.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I personally think we are living through the end of the ice age which Is natural but I reckon humans are definitely speeding up the process.
The planet is definitely warming but maybe nature will react in a way to cool itself back down like Krakatoa going up again.
The problem we have as a species is the planet doesn't really owe us any favours,we exist because the conditions have been right for our existence. but if the climate changes man made or not then we simply can't exist here and the planet doesn't care,it will nurture the next dominat species that exists due to the conditions at that time.
If we want to carry on using this planet then we need to make some changes PDQ.
Hopefully we can use our knowledge to manage a climate suitable for humans and all nature together.
We need to remember this is not our planet we are just guests here .
But if we get another polar shift there is not a lot we can do anyway it will be out of our hands.

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
Is that why you didn't get someone to read it out to you, because I'll guarrentee you never bothered....because you KNOW ALL about the science...this, Covid 19 and the Bond markets, no doubt.:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Hu_Camus

Jan 27, 2019
I personally think we are living through the end of the ice age which Is natural but I reckon humans are definitely speeding up the process.
The planet is definitely warming but maybe nature will react in a way to cool itself back down like Krakatoa going up again.
The problem we have as a species is the planet doesn't really owe us any favours,we exist because the conditions have been right for our existence. but if the climate changes man made or not then we simply can't exist here and the planet doesn't care,it will nurture the next dominat species that exists due to the conditions at that time.
If we want to carry on using this planet then we need to make some changes PDQ.
Hopefully we can use our knowledge to manage a climate suitable for humans and all nature together.
We need to remember this is not our planet we are just guests here .
But if we get another polar shift there is not a lot we can do anyway it will be out of our hands.

Fine sentiments, but who would bet the species will get our shit together?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here