Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Glenn on Sky Sports this morning

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Crying with laughter. It's just emotional nonsense but I'll soldier through

This emotional nonsense is about AT LEAST 30,000 people having died from this disease in this country, and hundreds more dying every day.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Prolonged contact? With people that will have been tested multiple times in the past few weeks? There are many people working in far far riskier situations. Here are a few. Transport workers, airport workers, doctors, police, nurses, fire service, dentists, shop workers. The list goes on and on. Footballers are at no greater risk, in fact far less than those already listed many of whom are far more vulnerable to the virus.

My point here is not that we should force football back. But if it wont come back then surely those employed within the game should do what the rest of us have had to endure, including furloughs.

Enough.

Listen Mr. Thicko, I have just about had enough of the utter shite that you spout on here. All those workers you have listed above wear anything from masks, protective gloves, and a whole host of PPE to minimise personal contact with others. Footballers on the pitch have NOTHING to protect them.....all for your f*****g entertainment.

When Arteta of Aresenal was diagnosed with Coved 19 the football authorities quite rightly postponed football. That was March the 13th.

Just 7 days earlier from that decision the first person in the UK died of Coved 19 and two days later the second person died. Those infected were numbered in the low thousands.

Now, with (just those tested) there have been 233,000 positive tests of Coved 19 and an horrendous figure of 33, 614 deaths (and we all know that is understated).

And now you , you complete prick, are having a tantrum because players are rightly concerned.

Shame on you....and others.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Covid 19 is much more contageous and much more deadly than flu, I get that, but given that it is likely to be around for a good while, may be forever when does the level of risk become acceptable?? Where does the balance fall between protecting people from getting it and protecting the economy which if the recession turns into a depression and millions lose their jobs will lead to many more deaths from all of the consequences fo that years down the line??
That was my point, we have to find an acceptable level of what we deem to be safe asnd that will never be nil, just as we do with the flu, we accept people die from it but we also know that if we did some of the things we do now we could supress the number of people dying from flu, if every life is ultimately so precious why don't we implement these measures? Probably because the benefits of keeping people alive and not getting flu is outwieged by the cost to the general population in enjoying their lives and the economivc cost of doing so.

I understand where you are coming from and am realistic enough to know there may never be a vaccine for Covid 19. I lived in Asia post SARS when there was no vaccine but infection rates had diminished sufficiently for normal life to carry on. I just don’t think we are anywhere near that point with the current pandemic and lifting lockdown too soon risks the gains we have made. The risk may never be zero but it may be a lot less than current levels and that is the time to resume football.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Listen Mr. Thicko, I have just about had enough of the utter shite that you spout on here. All those workers you have listed above wear anything from masks, protective gloves, and a whole host of PPE to minimise personal contact with others. Footballers on the pitch have NOTHING to protect them.....all for your f*****g entertainment.

When Arteta of Aresenal was diagnosed with Coved 19 the football authorities quite rightly postponed football. That was March the 13th.

Just 7 days earlier from that decision the first person in the UK died of Coved 19 and two days later the second person died. Those infected were numbered in the low thousands.

Now, with (just those tested) there have been 233,000 positive tests of Coved 19 and an horrendous figure of 33, 614 deaths (and we all know that is understated).

And now you , you complete prick, are having a tantrum because players are rightly concerned.

Shame on you....and others.

Wow. Abuse now. Nice. Thank God its not you running the country.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
This from today’s govt briefing - Re football, Prof Van Tam says easing social distancing has been “tentative” and “measured”, and this applies to all of elite sport.

First comes a return to safe training, while still observing social distancing, he says.

“We will have to see how that goes before we even think about the return of competitive football matches," he says. “We have to be slow, we have to be measured.”

I can’t see much chance of the PL being back in little over a month . Middle of July perhaps but surely that will be too late .

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Covid 19 is much more contageous and much more deadly than flu, I get that, but given that it is likely to be around for a good while, may be forever when does the level of risk become acceptable?? Where does the balance fall between protecting people from getting it and protecting the economy which if the recession turns into a depression and millions lose their jobs will lead to many more deaths from all of the consequences fo that years down the line??
That was my point, we have to find an acceptable level of what we deem to be safe asnd that will never be nil, just as we do with the flu, we accept people die from it but we also know that if we did some of the things we do now we could supress the number of people dying from flu, if every life is ultimately so precious why don't we implement these measures? Probably because the benefits of keeping people alive and not getting flu is outwieged by the cost to the general population in enjoying their lives and the economivc cost of doing so.

I’m guessing the risk level becomes acceptable when the government lifts the 2 metre social distancing rules - until then I can’t see how you can ask or expect players to play a contact sport with close contact...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

I'm sure that cjd's feelings wouldbe reciprocal on the running the country bit. Perhaps it us our glorious PM's initial cavalier attitude to all this that means things have been as bad as they have - the worst in Europe.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint

Man, it's not worth having a different opinion on this thread as you just get abuse. I want the football season to start when it is deemed safe but apparently that makes me not give a f**k about people dying.

I'm leaving this thread as I can't see the point in arguing with people. They probably end their tweets with #bekind

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
OK lets say I agree with all the sentiment but all this will be discussed between players groups, unions etc..Why are we the ones giving Talkshite and Sky Sports interviews? It makes us out to be the ones moaning and with the have most to lose as we have a points advantage.
If you take off your blue and white striped glasses it would drive you up the wall if it was another club acting this way. I'm not saying don't lobby behind the scenes or whatever but just stop sending out rubbish soundbites that can easily be used against us

Because we are the only club that has the balls to do it. Remember we were the first to say about neutral venues, after that other clubs started to speak up, but then again it was only the bottom six, just to avoid relegation, on shit suddenly all premier clubs against it.
I don't give a **** what other clubs do, I want what's best for Brighton and Hove Albion, with Tony Bloom and Paul Barber at the helm I could not happier. They are not yes men to the Premier league.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I see Troy Deeney and Mark Noble are expressing the same anxieties. Unfortunately they too are from bottom 6 teams, so no one will take it seriously. On Sky sorts website, but I can’t copy and paste.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I’m guessing the risk level becomes acceptable when the government lifts the 2 metre social distancing rules - until then I can’t see how you can ask or expect players to play a contact sport with close contact...

At the point when crowds will be able to return then?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This from today’s govt briefing - Re football, Prof Van Tam says easing social distancing has been “tentative” and “measured”, and this applies to all of elite sport.

First comes a return to safe training, while still observing social distancing, he says.

“We will have to see how that goes before we even think about the return of competitive football matches," he says. “We have to be slow, we have to be measured.”

I can’t see much chance of the PL being back in little over a month. Middle of July perhaps but surely that will be too late.

I'm beginning to think nothing will be too late for the PL. Any sort of f***wittery, including f*** up the 2020-21 season, and the 2021-22 season as well if necessary, seems to be fine for them, as long as they finish the dog's breakfast that is now the 2019-2020 season, even if it's finished on neutral grounds wearing full face bike helmets and full anti-contamination gear.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

If that’s lifted in 2022 for example, should we see no (behind closed doors) football in the UK until then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here