Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray - Utter class act last night

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
He was the difference. CMS and Barnes won nothing (why did we keep chipping the ball to them) and Murray won everything.

It does not stop him being a **** for going to Palace - anywhere else and he would have had the goodwill of everyone. He knew the score. I will boo him on the street tomorrow if I see him.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
He was on top form, but don't forget that he was playing against a team and a system that he knows very very well.

It was with his back to goal where he was at his best though. Won the ball and laid it off every time. Does it matter what system it is when you have your back to the defender.

Sweetie

Apr 1, 2004
First league start of the season for him. Played reasonably well, scored a good goal, could have had another one (or two) and didn't take the piss when he scored. Seems okay to me.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne
I thought Murray was rarely in the game tbh, but Barnes you'd have to look twice to even notice him on the pitch! Murray and CMS would be a good pairing up front but Murray performance last night wasn't great. It was a nice finish @ the end when they had it won but apart from that he did very little!

brightonbrowny

Oct 10, 2008
Him and CMS would have been a helluva double act. We should have paid him what he wanted. Total respect to him for his exemplary conduct and respect for the fans.

Couldn't agree more.

Murray got so much stick (quite rightly so i may add!) and could have really rubbed our noses in it when he scored!

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
His first touch was superb, led the line, brought players into the game with his layoffs. It was just as well he did not have his shooting boots on as it would have been a hat-trick otherwise.

Showed more class than the socially and sexually inadequates giving him abuse.
Oh for christ's sake give it a f***ing rest man, we all know you're in love with Glenn Murray, but your constant willingness to defend him and deride anyone that dares to speak against him is starting to grate.

I think everyone will agree that he was a good player for us and most on here were a little miffed to see him go............but he chose to join our bitter rivals, despite there being 90 other clubs he could of chosen to join.

I think he conducted himself in a very professional manor last night, but to be quite honest the amount of abuse he got is fair game he chose to join Palace, no one forced him !!!!

black shadow

Jul 22, 2011
Hassocks
He might not have had the best game ever, but even after the pathetic abuse he was getting through the match, he showed what a professional he is by not celebrating his goal. Good luck to you Glen! BHA should have done more to keep him.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
CMS and Barnsey were far to far apart last night. I assumed Barnes was part of the defence, as GRRRRRRReer gave him a good slapping and talking to a couple of times.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Thought he was shit apart from his goal.

Wasn't in the game in the slightest. Given that Palace dominated for the best part of an hour you'd hope your center forwards we be running everything.

Best player on the park by a country mile was the midget (no 20).

Midget no.20 is Jon Williams. Another academy product who has just turned 17.

Scannell was very quiet as he was being played out of position. He's a natural finisher at 18, but he's not a winger.

Zaha, Williams and Scannell are three academy products who are the future of this club. Shame that Clyne is too good for us too keep.

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Murray had stayed with us he wouldn't have more goals than Barnes does now.

Murray played OK but took his goal extremely well. Fortunately for him he has a manager than doesn't make him cover the right back or act as the 5th midfielder. I don't know what Gus was thinking with Barnes last night, but then I don't know why he picked Tanno ahead of Vincelot or, to a lesser degree, Harley ahead of Vincente.

Once Palace had worked out we were playing with one striker they committed another man forward and started winning more possession. We either have to play with 2 out and out forwards OR two wingers and Vincente in the hole behind CMS.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Midget no.20 is Jon Williams. Another academy product who has just turned 17.

Scannell was very quiet as he was being played out of position. He's a natural finisher at 18, but he's not a winger.

Zaha, Williams and Scannell are three academy products who are the future of this club. Shame that Clyne is too good for us too keep.

He's only 17!!?? bloodyhell, what an accomplished performance at that age, my stand out player of the night too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If Murray had stayed with us he wouldn't have more goals than Barnes does.

Most of us figured out about 3 years ago that goalscoring is a very small part of Murrays overall game. He was absolutely superb second half of last night.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Murray didn't play well until the last 10mins. Misplaced passes, missed chances. But scored a good goal. So not overly impressed. CMS is miles better, also Palace are paying him a stupid wage, he's not worth it. Well done to Gus and Bloom for not giving in to stupid demands.

This. Goal glossed over what was an average performance.

Credit for not celebrating, that is all.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Most of us figured out about 3 years ago that goalscoring is a very small part of Murrays overall game. He was absolutely superb second half of last night.

I didn't say goalscoring was the only important factor, but anyone saying Barnes is shit and Murray is class is plain wrong. Gus himself was content to let Murray go and start the first game of the season with Barnes.

Anyway, I have a feeling Hoskins will get his chance with CMS soon enough and this whole Murray / Barnes thing will become a moot point.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't agree with people who use Murray as an excuse to bash Barnes. Barnes has improved a LOT and was played woefully out of position last night, so I don't blame him at all.

Murray is far and away the better all-round player, but I'm not saying that to do down Barnes, who will continue to improve.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here