Votes: 29 23.0%
  • Glenn Murray

Votes: 97 77.0%

• Total voters

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes he did. He was on 7 grand in league one, was offered 9 when we got into the Championship, he felt he was worth a bit more..... Palace came in with 13+..... Brighton would not up his wage...... so he reluctantly left.
He was looking forward to play at the Amex.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes he did. He was on 7 grand in league one, was offered 9 when we got into the Championship, he felt he was worth a bit more..... Palace came in with 13+..... Brighton would not up his wage...... so he reluctantly left.
He was looking forward to play at the Amex.

He was on 3k in league 1 and was offered 6.5 when we went up. Palace offered him 8.5k. Thems the figures. He may have any amount of incremental increases within that basic contract but those were the original figures......trust me.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm not crying, just stating the facts, which have got out of proportion over the last couple of years. Bearing in mind the wages payed to others in the squad, a 2 grand rise, up to 9 from 7, was not exactly pushing the boat out, to be offered another 3-5 grand a week, without even a revised offer, really shows that Murray was not really valued that highly.

And I am just pointing out that if his desire was to play at the Amex, he could have done so.

Whether you are quoting the facts or not, I really do not know. All I do know is that he was offered another contract, possibly 2 offers and he rejected them, so his desire to stay was actually not that high.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
can't believe we're still doing this, it's obvious the Laconic Northern Genius (respect to EL P') is / was better but he's gone, end of, over it we must get hmmmm.....

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
And I am just pointing out that if his desire was to play at the Amex, he could have done so.

Whether you are quoting the facts or not, I really do not know. All I do know is that he was offered another contract, possibly 2 offers and he rejected them, so his desire to stay was actually not that high.

Fair point. I wonder though, if you were offered an extra £240,000 a year by another company, did not want to leave, and so asked your present company to up your wages to get somewhere near the offer, but they refused........... would you not feel that you are not valued at that company, especially if there were those around you on higher wages.
Tough decision eh..........£240,000 extra a year, with about 5 years max in the job.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Fair point. I wonder though, if you were offered an extra £240,000 a year by another company, did not want to leave, and so asked your present company to up your wages to get somewhere near the offer, but they refused........... would you not feel that you are not valued at that company, especially if there were those around you on higher wages.
Tough decision eh..........£240,000 extra a year, with about 5 years max in the job.

Depends whether I value the money most of all. GM clearly does. If money were the only motivation of all footballers, we would not have half of the squad that we currently have. And if he was really concerned that others at the club were earning more than he was, then getting rid was a good move.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
The Mancitys, Chelskis and Manus buy competing players partly to deprive their clubs of lads who give them serious trouble. palace have done that to us. Finiishing several places below us didnt suggest it would be that successful, like it us now for them.
They seem to have accumulated a determined and cohesive squad - like we wish for ourselves.
We have some good individuals but not such great teamwork or finishing

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Poyets biggest cock up you already know how good he is , it was just a case if he could step up to the championship , first season he was quite due to the way palace lined up leaving on his own for far to much of the game
This season with two winger giving good service and a player playing in the whole behind him he looks a world beater , and dobbie played the whole role well to.
Murray may well end up with 40 goals this season

Last edited:

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Ultimately, the decision to meet a player's wage demands, or not, is a commercial judgement - a bet. The club made a calculated gamble that it could get better value from spending the wages Murray wanted (and a big transfer fee) on someone else.

To state the blindingly obvious, they have lost the bet. I will cut them a little slack because I drew the same conclusions as Gus - that Murray was unlikely to be a top player at Championship level. Like most on here, I was delighted with the CMS signing.

Unlike us though, Gus is paid lots of money to get these bets right, and his judgement calls are far from flawless. Unfortunately for him, the most high profile failures have all been in the same position. He has got a huge amount right as manager, but if Ulloa does not come off, he may have to wait a while before TB hands him another few million quid. The early signs are good - let's hope he starts banging them in!

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
If you spend 3 million quid on a striker you have to set your team up the way that will suit him best not chuck him in and expect him to adapt to a new style of play

If you spend 3 million quid on a striker you have to set your team up the way that will suit him best not chuck him in and expect him to adapt to a new style of play

If you pay 3 million quid for a striker you should really expect said striker to have the ability to adapt.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
FFS neither one does not play for the Albion any longer and the other does but at this moment could not hit a cows arse with a banjo

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
Because some of our fans have an unhealthy obsession with Murray. He left, hes scoring goals - let it lie i say.

Notice how they werent going on about him last season though !!!

True enough. But the hard thing is getting or making a player who can score 30 goals a season - they are exceptionally rare. Then once you have this player, you should very much play to his strengths and then its taken care of. FFS strength is quite clearly his confidence - he's a confidence player, and when he's happy in his game he will absolutely deliver. His second goal yesterday was leathered with the absolute belief he would score.

Confidence is the gold dust of football.

True enough. But the hard thing is getting or making a player who can score 30 goals a season - they are exceptionally rare. Then once you have this player, you should very much play to his strengths and then its taken care of. FFS strength is quite clearly his confidence - he's a confidence player, and when he's happy in his game he will absolutely deliver. His second goal yesterday was leathered with the absolute belief he would score.

Confidence is the gold dust of football.

I'm confident that your support is shit.

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
I'm confident that your support is shit.

I'm confident as per las year that our shit support will still outsing your lot in your passionless shiney bowl of a stadium.
Good to see that you've updated Wilf's shirt on your avatar, that £15m will keep us going for another 3 years or so, as will the chunk we recieved from Wigan after the sale of Moses to CHelsea. Good to see that the first thing you do after every game is update your 'crowd' attendances against ours. I'm also confident that you watched the Fl show last night, very good, weren't we (that wasn't really a question, more a statement).

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm confident as per las year that our shit support will still outsing your lot in your passionless shiney bowl of a stadium.
Good to see that you've updated Wilf's shirt on your avatar, that £15m will keep us going for another 3 years or so, as will the chunk we recieved from Wigan after the sale of Moses to CHelsea. Good to see that the first thing you do after every game is update your 'crowd' attendances against ours. I'm also confident that you watched the Fl show last night, very good, weren't we (that wasn't really a question, more a statement).

Shiney, yes. Passionless, very far from it.

Maybe we'll be able to hear palace for more than 13 minutes this time :lolol:

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
Shiney, yes. Passionless, very far from it.

Maybe we'll be able to hear palace for more than 13 minutes this time :lolol:

I must have had the sound down whilst watching your last 2 games. You'll hear as you know you did last time. Win lose or draw, and we'll be there after 80 mins, winning, losing or drawing. #RegularFiredrill

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here