Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glenn Murray: Better than Zamora

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
You could argue that over a single season each have been as important as the other - but all round Zamora is a better player. I never thoght he was international level, but was too good for where we were at the time. I think Murray will be ok in the Championship, but I'm sure he couldn't cut it in the prem.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Too early to make that call Mr Jabsco. I agree that Murray is superb and I have never had any sympathy with his critics on here, but Bobby was simply a cut above everyone else, not only in our team but in the league we were playing too. However if Glenn applies himself he certainly has the ability to reach Zamora's level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not worth starting a new thread for but:

Has anyone noticed Gus comment at the end of his Seagulls player interview after Swindon match ?

If you haven't, he says (Ref Murray signing new contract) "it's on going, we hope he will sign...but he wont's some money the boy eh..?!"

maybe that's whats holding it all up..
Am I just being too naive here.
Surely the contract between the 2 divisions would be similar, other than the wages that a promotion justifiably brings.

So it's just a case of 'if we go up it's this ..., if we don't it's that ...'.

(God, anyone got any magic beans for sale)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can you imagine Glenn Murray leading the Albion line in a Europa league cup final, and being the most important player in the team?

So can I. Make it so, Lord Tony. :bowdown:

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Glenn is QUALITY, that's for sure.

But better than Zamora, who consistently knocked in goals from everywhere for 3 seasons (and a loan spell), proved himself in The Championship (even when injured), stayed here longer than he needed to (he didn't hand in 2 transfer requests), who can do everything Glenn can but with more pace, and who has since gone on to become a decent player in The Premiership and play for his country? no, no he's not. Don't be so utterly ridiculous.

Oh, and the song is shite. :thumbsup:

I agree with everything apart from "who can do everything Glenn can but with more pace".......I have never seen a player hold the ball up as well as Murray, it does not matter where it comes, head, chest, thigh, he wins it, holds it and brings in players constantly. Zamora was good, very good in fact, but Murray takes that part by a long way.....goal scoring.....Zamora by a country mile.....but id be gutted if we lost Murray now...

Too early to make that call Mr Jabsco. I agree that Murray is superb and I have never had any sympathy with his critics on here, but Bobby was simply a cut above everyone else, not only in our team but in the league we were playing too. However if Glenn applies himself he certainly has the ability to reach Zamora's level.

Fair comment, I like Zamora but also admire Murray. But who is the best? There is only one way to find out.................

Seriously though it was fantastic to have a 30+ goals striker but surely on many different levels it is better to spread the scoring around the team a bit. Hopefully we will end the season with two 20 goal strikers (and an at least 6 goals full back) together with other players capable of hitting the back of the net. I can't remember who Zamora's strike partner was during that golden era, perhaps he didn't have one. Would also be interesting to see who got the other goals and how many during that period.

I feel it is a great shame that it took a while for Bobby to get established in the Premiership and that injury has probably snuffed out any chance of an England career. A big "what if..." for me is if he had not had that wasted period at Spurs and maybe had gone straight to West Ham. At least I can say "I was there...." for many of his great goals and performances as others on the board can say for the Ward era. I curse missing the 3 - 1 game against Reading, a friend who was there assured me that Bobby was "on fire" that evening, first daughter arriving precluded attendance! Can't find the game on YouTube, suspect that the camera's weren't there in those dark days prior to Seagull Player!

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The King is dead, long live the King, eh?

I admire your attempt to forget the past and concentrate on supporting the guy we have now, but "better than Zamora"? Naah, not for me mate.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
As an alround player Murray is the better, as a prolific goal scorer Zamora was the better. Horses for courses at the time.

No way. Zamora was and is superior in every department.

Look at his number of assists per season coupled with the fact he usually played as a lone striker, where your touch and build up play have to be exemplary.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Richie

You've lost the plot mate. Glenn is a good div 3 player and may cut it in the Championship, the jury is out. He would never make it in the Premiership and I feel an England call up may be just out of his reach. Apart from that I agree with you.

Kind Regards.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Glenn is QUALITY, that's for sure.

But better than Zamora, who consistently knocked in goals from everywhere for 3 seasons (and a loan spell), proved himself in The Championship (even when injured), stayed here longer than he needed to (he didn't hand in 2 transfer requests), who can do everything Glenn can but with more pace, and who has since gone on to become a decent player in The Premiership and play for his country? no, no he's not. Don't be so utterly ridiculous.

exactly this. Love Glenn but not quite there yet!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
How on earth can some people think murray is better than zamora:laugh:
Christ murray has finally scored more than 12 goals in a season.zamora scored a bloody lot more and zamora was far superior in all aspects of his game.

If murray gets greedy then let him go,plenty of better players out there and younger.:thumbsup:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Richie

You've lost the plot mate. Glenn is a good div 3 player and may cut it in the Championship, the jury is out. He would never make it in the Premiership and I feel an England call up may be just out of his reach. Apart from that I agree with you.

Kind Regards.

You see, people didn't read my opening comment. I am not saying Murray has more potential. I am not saying Murray is better NOW. Just that I think he is proving as good as when Zamora was here.

Zamora was an amazing raw talent and as a goalscorer, one of the best we have ever seen - and are ever likely to.

But Murray has a better all-round game. He defends well, brings others in to play better, works a lot harder, holds the ball up better and is not shoddy in front of goal either.

Also, imagine how many goals Murray would have had if he had been centre forward for us flying high in League Two?

Zamora has gone on to good things. Murray will no doubt end up as a Championship player. And, in the cold light of day, Zamora during his spell here probably edges it. But the gulf is by no means as big as people on here are saying.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
You see, people didn't read my opening comment. I am not saying Murray has more potential. I am not saying Murray is better NOW. Just that I think he is proving as good as when Zamora was here.

Zamora was an amazing raw talent and as a goalscorer, one of the best we have ever seen - and are ever likely to.

But Murray has a better all-round game. He defends well, brings others in to play better, works a lot harder, holds the ball up better and is not shoddy in front of goal either.

Also, imagine how many goals Murray would have had if he had been centre forward for us flying high in League Two?

Zamora has gone on to good things. Murray will no doubt end up as a Championship player. And, in the cold light of day, Zamora during his spell here probably edges it. But the gulf is by no means as big as people on here are saying.

Poppycock! Zamora was a class apart - The lower league Thierry Henry. He scored and created goals for fun, in what was a more defensive minded team playing 4-5-1. As I mentioned earlier if Zamora was up front for us this season he would already have at least 30 goals already.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here