Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Glen Murray Take a Bow

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
but, it's the best of an underperforming bunch

You're a little ray of sunshine aren't you?

We've played 4 league games. Won 2, drawn 1, lost 1. We lost away to sheffield wednesday, we beat last years play off finalists on their home turf and we won today. Only slight blemish was drawing at home to rochdale when we should have held on. But even then we were a man down.

I don't understand some people. How are we a team of underperformers? Was you expecting us to be top of the league?

Anyway regardless of any results - In the main, the football we currently play is a shite sight better than in years gone by.

What on earth is there to whinge about?

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
mmm. Monkey hear monkey repeat. How many times was he offside today? All strikers get caught offside you know

Most strikers are offside by trying to beat the offside trap and thus running towards the opposition goal, Murray seems to be offside, more often than not, when he walks back towards our goal and hasn't got back quick enough to be onside. This is where people call him lazy.

My assessment of him today. First half was nothing special, both him and Barnes weren't really in the game. Second half, took him 20 mins before he started to put himself about and then he looked good. His finishing wasn't the best. First half got too much on it and it didn't trouble anyone (apart from the people in the Family stand) and second half chance should have taken it earlier i feel, and in the end probably wasted a fairly good chance.

Not a brilliant performance on the whole, but definitely enough there to show that if he can look like he did in the last quarter of the match for a whole match, then he could be a stand out player in this division. His problem is that he is too inconsistent with his form though.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington

We've played 4 league games. Won 2, drawn 1, lost 1. We lost away to sheffield wednesday, we beat last years play off finalists on their home turf and we won today. Only slight blemish was drawing at home to rochdale when we should have held on. But even then we were a man down.

I don't understand some people. How are we a team of underperformers? Was you expecting us to be top of the league?

Anyway regardless of any results - In the main, the football we currently play is a shite sight better than in years gone by.

I agree with Acker that we did underperform today. We didn't play amazingly till they went down to 10 men. He hasn't whinged at all, but merely pointed out that we weren't at our best today. The result was good, the performance not so. But i will take results over performances everyday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The natiure of the way that he plays, right up tight on the defenders back means he will be pulled up for offside a lot as he is too quick for most linos; If you tried to stop this you would take a lot oiut of his game.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
The natiure of the way that he plays, right up tight on the defenders back means he will be pulled up for offside a lot as he is too quick for most linos; If you tried to stop this you would take a lot oiut of his game.

Really?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Glen is playing well this year, but lets get things into perspective shall we ?
He is playing in League 1, and needs to start scoring more goals.
Also needs to learn how to beat the offside trap..gets caught too often.
Premiership.....??..Not a hope in hell !!

He hardly got caught offside today. he played very intelligently and was fully deserving of his MOTM award. Well played Glenn!

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
He showed today sorry yesterday that he is very quick off the mark over the first 5 yds , which make a good striker, unlike the average lino and hence they are behind the play and signal him as offside..

I can't remember one instance when he was given offside when trying to beat the offside trap. I also wouldn't call him quick, or even quick off the mark. He is clever with his running and has fairly good feet which which mean he doesn't need pace to beat players and thus doesn't need to be quick.

If anything he has bulked up abit and got stronger, but i didn't see any changes in his pace.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Most strikers are offside by trying to beat the offside trap and thus running towards the opposition goal, Murray seems to be offside, more often than not, when he walks back towards our goal and hasn't got back quick enough to be onside. This is where people call him lazy.

My assessment of him today. First half was nothing special, both him and Barnes weren't really in the game. Second half, took him 20 mins before he started to put himself about and then he looked good. His finishing wasn't the best. First half got too much on it and it didn't trouble anyone (apart from the people in the Family stand) and second half chance should have taken it earlier i feel, and in the end probably wasted a fairly good chance.

Not a brilliant performance on the whole, but definitely enough there to show that if he can look like he did in the last quarter of the match for a whole match, then he could be a stand out player in this division. His problem is that he is too inconsistent with his form though.

Harsh assessment. He was excellent for at least three-quarters of the match. Possibly his best game for us and still some really don't want to give him any more than the minimum praise.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Muzza was excellent yesterday, ran his nuts off, lots of great interplay, knock ons etc. Top performance!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Glenn is one of favourite players but I didn't think he played all that well until the last half an hour. He is cleary working harder than ever before and was unlucky nit to score after rounding the keeper

The offside thing doesn't bother me it's him falling to ground too easily that annoys me. Needs to man up a little and I think he will fulfil his potential

Great assist, great work ethic, but didn't shine til the hour mark. 7/10

Feb 5, 2009
brighton
imo i thought glenn did well today,i think he looks like his been working hard! yeah he does seem a little slow getting back but i think that will improve,and i feel both ashley and glen once they get going a bit more will be immense this season(again just imo).to be fair i thought the whole squad had a slow first half and just couldnt quite communicate with each other properly especially at the back.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Logan said it for me. I'm not talking about the season as a whole, I was just talking about yesterday's game.

I agree with Acker that we did underperform today. We didn't play amazingly till they went down to 10 men. He hasn't whinged at all, but merely pointed out that we weren't at our best today. The result was good, the performance not so. But i will take results over performances everyday.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Did well yesterday, one thing I noticed was his improved foot-work, seems to be using a bit more skill on the ball in order to work space etc.. (was especially effective when in tight areas, or running with a man close by his side). Was a shame he couldn't take his goal in the second half after calmly rounding the keeper, as it would have capped off a top performance in which he created endless amounts.

Let's not go overboard though, I'd expect yesterday to be a fairly average performance by Glenn's standards this season. (if we're to be a success in general)

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Logan said it for me. I'm not talking about the season as a whole, I was just talking about yesterday's game.

Fair enough, sorry I misinterpreted what you said.

We we rubbish for the first 30 minutes, but I thought we looked better second half. Walsall haven't made a bad start to the season themselves, so I will take the win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here