Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Glastonbury revisited on The BBC this weekend

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This Bowie set is from 2000.

I have to say, I far prefer the stripped-back staging and lighting from performances back then. When today's headliners import their stadium tour set and lighting rig into the Pyramid stage I feel it detracts from the performance and grinds against the ethos of playing a field in Somerset.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
I've been watching and listening to Bowie for the last twenty five minutes. Looks a bit like a smartened up skinny Robert Plant and singing like Anthony Newley with added vocal mannerisms, it's a good job he had a hot band. I just don't get what people saw in him. I liked him in the 70' for a while, and a smattering in the 80's but after that, not for me. But hey, each to their own.

Sadly have to agree with you, I also grew up with Bowie but finding this a bit dull

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ed Sheeran really is just a shit busker who got lucky, isn't he?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ed Sheeran really is just a shit busker who got lucky, isn't he?

But he has some strange hold over the female psyche. When he played a gig over here, every single woman I know – young, old, single, married, cool, not-cool, and from every nation on earth – went absolutely mental with the NEED to have a ticket. Never seen anything like it. It was like some kind of biological imperative: I am female therefore I must go to the Ed Sheeran concert. You feel if any woman had dared to say he was a bit meh and they weren't fussed, she would have been stabbed to death on the spot.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
At the risk of going back to the "do musicians get better when they're older" thread, you need to listen to Blackstar. It's astonishing on its own, but is incredible when you get that he knew he was dying and we didn't.

This, now, is greatest hits but still puts so much modern shite in the bin, effortlessly.

I've never been a great Bowie fan, but always appreciated him. I tuned in just to see what all the fuss was about last night and found myself transfixed for two hours. I thought he was great.

And agree about Blackstar. I bought it after reading some very good reviews and before his death was announced. I get what you're saying absolutely.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
First time I had seen this and he was superb. I saw him doing Ziggy Stardust at Worthing in the mid 70's, quite different from last night, more raw and experimental, but very enjoyable.We lost a legend a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Station to Station was an immense record, I think Bowie took the name as an homage to Kraftwerk and TransEurope Express but I may be wrong? Every track a classic and as for TVC 15's chunk guitar riff, top top drawer in my opinion.
His earlier stuff was OK but nothing like StS and the subsequent three Berlin Albums. You must admire him though for his ability to re-invent himself and change direction, few others have managed to do this.

TNBA

TTF

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I've been watching and listening to Bowie for the last twenty five minutes. Looks a bit like a smartened up skinny Robert Plant and singing like Anthony Newley with added vocal mannerisms, it's a good job he had a hot band. I just don't get what people saw in him. I liked him in the 70' for a while, and a smattering in the 80's but after that, not for me. But hey, each to their own.

Same here.

Liked Hunky Dory, but just couldn't get into the later stuff at all. In fact he made some utter dross. As has been said, he's an artist I can appreciate rather than like.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Bowie did a 2 hour set that DIDN’T include, Space Oddity, Young Americans,Gene Genie, Sound andVision,Modern Love, TVC15, Scary Monsters,Boys keep swinging, Fashion. John, I’m only dancing, Rock and Roll suicide amongst others.

That is only the hits.

Has any artist left a bigger or better legacy?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Watching now, some of his stuff I love, some leaves me cold but the guy had an overload of on stage charisma

Do they come any cooler?

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Worthing gig

First time I had seen this and he was superb. I saw him doing Ziggy Stardust at Worthing in the mid 70's, quite different from last night, more raw and experimental, but very enjoyable.We lost a legend a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to read this then - All centred a round the Worthing gig - A great read for a Bowie fan, by a Bowie fan.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Played-Zig...I+Played+Ziggy's+Guitar&qid=1593432272&sr=8-1

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Just watching it now on catch up, I think genius is a word bandied around far too easily in musical circles but David Bowie was a genius, as was Amy Winehouse, another taken far too soon ��

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Watched Bowie last night and had to just watch Hello Spaceboy again now. There was a song I could take or leave at the time of its release but the treatment he gave it for that set? Magnificent.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just watching it now on catch up, I think genius is a word bandied around far too easily in musical circles but David Bowie was a genius, as was Amy Winehouse, another taken far too soon ��

Space Oddity, Life on Mars? and Starman, years ahead of their time.

Kooks - what beautiful vocals. Hunky Dory is one of the great albums.

Electric Blue is a gorgeous pop song.

Hard to know where to start. My Dad’s a big fan, so we were brought up listening to those first albums.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But he has some strange hold over the female psyche. When he played a gig over here, every single woman I know – young, old, single, married, cool, not-cool, and from every nation on earth – went absolutely mental with the NEED to have a ticket. Never seen anything like it. It was like some kind of biological imperative: I am female therefore I must go to the Ed Sheeran concert. You feel if any woman had dared to say he was a bit meh and they weren't fussed, she would have been stabbed to death on the spot.

If Mick Hucknall and Donald J Trump can pull, any celeb male can.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just catching up on the full Bowie set, he really is (to me) the greatest pop artist ever

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here