Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Giving Wednesday evening a miss

I've been 'pinged' by the Covid app after both the last two home games, whether that is from the stadium itself or the transport to/from or somewhere in Brighton.

With the new variant or just general increase in cases I know of several people who are currently positive despite barely knowing anyone who has had it in the last 18 months or so.

Speaking to another Albion fan on the phone this morning, his brother-in-law (who chose not to be vaccinated) caught Covid a couple of weeks ago and has been in hospital, as I type this he is in surgery having his leg amputated due to blood clots caused by being laid up in hospital.

Another ST holder I go with should have been going tonight but caught Covid on holiday and is now stuck abroad having to isolate until Xmas Eve and needing to arrange accommodation and replacement flights which may not be until Boxing Day.

Two other friends living in Brighton have tested positive this week as has one of their kids, despite them being one of the most cautious families I know. Even when indoor mixing of households was allowed and cases were low they insisted we sit apart with the doors and windows open when we visited them.

As I understand it the new variant has different symptoms and is possibly less serious than before, but as long as there are restrictions/rules on isolating, testing etc it feels like a dangerous time to risk coming to the Amex. If I was single, with no Xmas plans or family to mix with I'd probably be going to the match, but I'm not so I won't be.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
With these new checks which will clearly mean many will miss kick off its clear IMO that the club are trying to stop as many people as possible from attending, what's the betting they have got together with Southern Rail and made up the train shortage story

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Which were these 'dire displays' you refer to?

Everton was dire. Newcastle was pretty dire. That's about it, I'd say. Every other performance has been reasonable at worst, despite the frustrating results.

Another stupid one. Didn't realise you were a Norwich fan. FFS

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Are you stupid or stupid? Pretty obvious I was taking about Norwich fans and Norwich's performances.

You're posting about Wednesday night's Brighton game on a Brighton forum. Clearly therefore I must be stupid to assume you were talking about Brighton.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
You're posting about Wednesday night's Brighton game on a Brighton forum. Clearly therefore I must be stupid to assume you were talking about Brighton.

What part of this, which was posted talking about a match YESTERDAY, looks like it is about Brighton? `Did we play yesterday? The bit about Norwich I quoted didn't give you a clue?

Screenshot 2021-12-15 at 16.20.26.png

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
With these new checks which will clearly mean many will miss kick off its clear IMO that the club are trying to stop as many people as possible from attending, what's the betting they have got together with Southern Rail and made up the train shortage story

I’ve just got to my seat and there was absolutely no difference on pass checking or size of the queue.

Massive outside the North Stand though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I’ve just got to my seat and there was absolutely no difference on pass checking or size of the queue.

Massive outside the North Stand though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but I wasn't talking about that I was talking about those who had to queue to get their tickets reactivated after they had shown their details at the ticket office hence the massive queues at the north stand, you clearly didn't get an email

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Judging by the empty seats on TV and the appalling lack of atmosphere I think plenty did choose to give it a miss, couldn't have been much more than half full?

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Feel so sorry for those hardy souls who braved it tonight only to watch the likes of Moder and Trossard cruising around the pitch

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Arrived around 6:45 and the queue for the north was a single file trail all the way down to the outside food kiosks.

I assumed initially this was for the North and the north entrance to the WSU but after wasting 5 minutes I walk up the the WSU entrance and no queue at all. First time I’ve been checked for covid status.

Concourse on arrival seemed just as business with the food and drink queues cutting across the entire width but after getting through there was significantly more space on the concourse. I’d estimate no more than 50% full.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I thought it was a bit embarrassing that the away section was full and noisy while the NS in particular was half empty and barely got a song going. I can understand why the elderly in the ES stayed away, but the NS are supposed to be hardcore aren't they?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Judging by the empty seats on TV and the appalling lack of atmosphere I think plenty did choose to give it a miss, couldn't have been much more than half full?

I overheard the police talking about this after the match when i was at Falmer station and one said it was "13 thousand below capacity tonight" which puts it at about 19K which feels about right.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I overheard the police talking about this after the match when i was at Falmer station and one said it was "13 thousand below capacity tonight" which puts it at about 19K which feels about right.

I think Wolverhampton nearly sold out, so that would be 16k home fans out of 29k capacity, just over half which seems how it looked on TV.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Swathes of empty seats , will be even worse on Boxing Day- looks embarrassing

I don't see this as some litmus test of fandom . Its going to be like this - if football continues - for the next month or so at all grounds in the country and its no different to people cancelling trips to the theatre, restuarants or parties.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think Wolverhampton nearly sold out, so that would be 16k home fans out of 29k capacity, just over half which seems how it looked on TV.

I've no idea . i'm just sharing an overheard conversation (which i might have misinterpreted).
Also there were a few empty seats in the Wolves end.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here