Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giving up smoking...

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I gave up at Christmas - bloody tough. I'm just beginning to feel a bit better. It's so worth it. Waking up in the morning after a session in the pub and not weezing is a truly beautiful experience. Stick with it dude.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Phaedrus said:
My method; every time you fancy a puff go for a wank, stimulating and aerobic. [/COLOR] [/B]

:eek: Trigger you're gonna be worn out and probably end up in the Guiness Book of records if you follow this advise from day 2 :ohmy:

Hungry Joe.

Mar 5, 2004
British Upper Beeding
Icy Gull said:
:eek: Trigger you're gonna be worn out and probably end up in the Guiness Book of records if you follow this advise from day 2 :ohmy:

Sorry, I forgot to mention I was only a 'couple-a-day' man (apart from at parties when I used to use up all the loo roll and get thrown out).

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
i gave up in jan 2003 after numerous attempts....finally i used the patches and they worked an absolute treat. i also tried chinese acupuncture from that place next to ashoka on church road which may have helped...either way i haven't touched one since, and i smoked 20 a day for years...anyone can do it!

Last edited:

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
Wozza said:

i just chew normal gum when i get a craving. as said earlier it works for me. after 17 years of smoking i have not had a cig for 4 weeks. the wife had the nicotine gum she said that helped her.

CAFC Matt

Jul 27, 2003
Woodindean
The Famous Grouse said:
a8754753df8afa9fe0b5c8adc5c48ba2.jpg

:lolol:

He has one hell of a bad addiction :ohmy: :lolol:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
graz126 said:
i just chew normal gum when i get a craving. as said earlier it works for me. after 17 years of smoking i have not had a cig for 4 weeks. the wife had the nicotine gum she said that helped her.

Fair enough if it works for you.

But if you replace smoking with something else, you're acknowledging the 'itch' which isn't good.

You need to forget it completely.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
I was doing well since New Year and then went to see Albion play at Luton. Watching Brighton play enhanced my need for nicotine. Do feel better, aside from the small blip a month ago. Best to hang around with a load of non-smokers in non-smoking pubs. I have found I drink beer quicker which is both a positve and a negative.

Lush

Mods' Pet
This explains why you feel the need to light up at stressful football matches!!!!!!!

"The fact is this: that nicotine withdrawal symptoms, while not painful, imitate the physical sensation of mild anxiety with astonishing accuracy.

As a result, each time a smoker reduces this "fake anxiety" by smoking a cigarette, part of their brain is fooled into believing that smoking reduces genuine anxiety, simply because it reduces a sensation that feels identical.

This connection then forces smokers to light up automatically whenever something bad happens. This explains why even a mild office crisis will cause every smoker to instantly need a "fag break". It explained why I had chain-smoked at my friend's funeral.

This revelation changed everything for me. I realised that my brain had been caught out by a trick that is both devastatingly convincing and almost ludicrously simple. Once I fully understood this, I developed a simple repetition technique that finally got rid of my cravings to smoke. I'm finally free of the nicotine trick because my brain now understands exactly how it works.

I no longer crave cigarettes. But I believe that millions of ex-smokers mysteriously still suffer from "cravings" even years after quitting, simply because a single false connection is still secretly "hard-wired" into their brains. Not to mention the millions who, for the same reason, are still smoking.

So, what can you do to get rid of your cravings? Three simple things. First, smoke an entire cigarette and try as hard as you can to figure out specifically where the "enjoyment" is coming from. You'll soon realise that you're smoking, not for pleasure, but to get rid of a vague "tense" feeling, a sensation that imitates mild anxiety.

Second, start seeing this "fake anxiety" for what it is – the delayed effect of the last cigarette you smoked.

Finally, realise that if you don't smoke, this feeling will disappear in about four days. Only smoking can keep this feeling going. Once your brain absorbs this information, it will let go of the "crossed wire" and you'll be free.

'The Nicotine Trick' by Neil Casey (Metro, £6.99); www.nicotinetrick.com
_

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Yorkie said:
You smoke a cigarette to feel as normal as those of us that don't smoke. (I used to smoke 20-30 a day until 13 years ago)

After an hour the nicotine starts leaving your body so it starts with the withdrawal symptons and you sink lower into feeling awful.

So you light up to take in more nictotine to make you feel normal.

The longer you go without a cigarette the less the withdrawal symptons and the awful feelings lessen.

You'll get there Trig.

That is a better way of putting what I was trying to say here , Lush :D

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am gonna give it another real go.

I have drifted in and out of smoking and did well around the time of my 40th but slipped back a bit recently.

Good information that Lush I shall have a long think on that one.

And if you see me smoking administer a stern warning and confiscate.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Trigger, it can be done.
I was a 60 a day man a few years ago. Before I got out of bed in the morning, I lit up a fag. Last thing at night before I put the light out, I had a cigarette. I would then try to clear a passage through my throat and lungs so I could breathe without ‘wheezing’.
My GP told me I had to give up. I told him I had tried everything from acupuncture to hypnosis. He got me on this 5 day course at the Brighton General, 7.30 p.m. to 9.00 p.m., where two highly qualified medical guys explained addiction and how to get over it.
First 3 days only have fruit, fruit juice and fresh water, this will ‘clean out’ 90% of the toxins in your body.
On the third day, start taking 6 yeast tablets, 3 times a day for a week. Normal dosage is 2 tablets three times a day. This will help combat the ‘rattiness’ because of the intake of vitamins in the tablets.
DO NOT drink alcohol for at least two weeks. Alcohol lowers resistance – easier to say “Ok, one won’t hurt me while I have a pint”. Going without a bevy for a few days certainly will probably be a good thing anyway.
If you’re at work/Uni etc. and the craving starts, go ro a 2 minute walk, and have a glass of water.
DON’T switch your addiction to anything else, e.g. chocolate, coffee etc, these all contain addictive components. (These nearly always end in ‘..ine’, e.g. cocaine, heroine, nicotine, caffeine).
Find someone else who is packing up and swop phone numbers. If the going gets bad, give them a ring. They will know exactly what you are going through.
Re-educate the grey matter. Keep saying “I choose not to smoke” rather than “I will not smoke”. If you do have one, you can still say the former phrase. The latter, however, will be broken.
Take one hour, then one day, then one week, etc. at a time, and NEVER think “I’ve got over it, one won’t do me any harm”
All the very best of luck mate, keep us all posted on how you get on.
By the way, I consider it one of the major achievements in my life that I have not smoked now for eighteen years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Woodingdean Gull said:

Take one hour, then one day, then one week, etc. at a time, and NEVER think “I’ve got over it, one won’t do me any harm”

Once you've got over the hurdle of not smoking for a while the "one won't do me any harm" is without a doubt the biggest threat to starting again. I have given up about 5 times for varying lengths of time from 3 months to 18 months and everytime it is the "one won't do me any harm I've cracked this" mentality that has resulted in me starting again. Been off fags for 6 months this time and determined not to have even a puff this time.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Are you still off the nicotine Trigger?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here