Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giving up smoking for a season ticket......

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Ok I am now officially having a real hard time. Thought I would help myself by seeing the Doctor today I got referred to the nurse instead who tbf only deals with people who are addicted to nicotine therefore was no help what so ever. She checked my carbon monoxide levels only to find that I had the lungs of a non smoker to my surprise! I am pretty restless during the daytime, foot tapping, leg wiggling etc, bit mood swingy, loss of appetite and a tad anxious at times. I have also had some bouts of nausea and sleeping at night....no chance! Don't know why I feel the need to update this thread, maybe so that I can look back at it when I have left the smoke behind for good........don't flame me people, I might just go a little beserk! (If I had the energy) :down:

Mammoth

Kickin' back
Jan 28, 2011
Manchester Ship Canal
Classic withdrawal man, try some of these strategies:
anxiety is made worse by the insomnia- you have to wear yourself out with a long (8 miles plus) walk for example- excercise has been shown in studies to improve the mood, increase self esteem and knacker you out! you will find sleeping easier and this will help reduce anxiety symptoms. You might also want to reduce alcohol intake, as alcohol is also linked with insomnia (contrary to popular belief)
Other coping strategies include breathing excercises, meditation. I know this sounds hippy dippy but it has positive effects for many anxiety sufferers.
Keep calm and carry on!

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
Just remember the 1st week of it is the worse and it's only gonna get easier...
Also remember that its not physically addictive like fags so it is entirely down to your own will power and your mentality to the situation, its a hard thing to kick. I believe thats why i've managed to kick the fags now but not the special. Best of luck, keep us posted let us know how ur doing...

And last but not least ignore the media fed mongloids on here that talk of it as if it were heroin...(to those people i don't want a debate on it, you've got your opinion, i've got mine - lets leave it at that cus the likelyhood is your naive towards it benefits and exaggerate its dangers)

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
Read any of Allen Carr's books and you'll be fine. Most addictions are mental not physical, it has absolutely nothing to do with will power

how do you mean it has nothing to do with will power? what is it to do with then?

if he doesn't really want to give up then he won't... the willpower is the thing stopping him from doing it... thats the way i see it anyway? is that wrong then?

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
I quit a few years ago, I was getting more and more paranoid every time I smoked it. Reading helped it gave me something to focus on. And when I was irritable and moody I used to walk it off. The more days went by the better I felt. I quit smoking cigarettes last year, it will be a year on Feb 1st.

I feel great. You will too.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
how do you mean it has nothing to do with will power? what is it to do with then?

if he doesn't really want to give up then he won't... the willpower is the thing stopping him from doing it... thats the way i see it anyway? is that wrong then?

You can't stop by resisting the withdrawal pangs with 'willpower', you stop by understanding them and realising and rationalising that you don't need to smoke

Trojan Scold - by the sound of it its not going to work the way you are doing it - you sound like you're missing smoking. Trust me, there is nothing to miss, except for the headaches and sore throats and anxiety attacks. But to really understand how to stop, please read Allen Carr's 'Easy way to Stop Smoking'.

I was a 60 a day man, but when I finished the book I went straight to 0 a day and felt great, and still do.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Wow, thank you NSC now that's the kinda response and help I was looking for. Every comment has been taken onboard x

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I'm getting rid of Sky Sports and cutting back on the booze to pay towards my monthly fee. The first is easy. The second not so. Good luck.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Keep going mate, it'll be worth it; more in mental health terms than anything else!

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Yep I agree, just looking forward to getting past these horrible stages. A clear head is actually a really, really good thing :)

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Ok I am now officially having a real hard time. Thought I would help myself by seeing the Doctor today I got referred to the nurse instead who tbf only deals with people who are addicted to nicotine therefore was no help what so ever. She checked my carbon monoxide levels only to find that I had the lungs of a non smoker to my surprise! I am pretty restless during the daytime, foot tapping, leg wiggling etc, bit mood swingy, loss of appetite and a tad anxious at times. I have also had some bouts of nausea and sleeping at night....no chance! Don't know why I feel the need to update this thread, maybe so that I can look back at it when I have left the smoke behind for good........don't flame me people, I might just go a little beserk! (If I had the energy) :down:

It might seem rough at the moment fella but stick with it, I watched my brother go through 2 months of agony dieing of lung cancer at the end of last year and compared to that withdrawel symptoms are nothing trust me. Packing up smoking is on my agenda for this year and as soon as I get all the shit I've got going on with whether i'm losing my job or not i'm going to be tackling it head on.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Top work BB, sorry about your bro, kinda puts it all into perspective mate. All the best for when you make the decision to get rid of that evil stuff! (Hope the whole job thing pans out ok for ya too man)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Got any annual leave available to go on hols? Change of scenery always helps and exercise, you just don't feel like it after you've got the blood pumping for a while...

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
No afraid not tedebear, I also have my fourth (and final!) child due in under 2 weeks time so going away is outta the question! haha. Exercise is something that has been missing from my life for way too long so I'm gonna start thinking about what type of exercise will suit me best and get my arse back into gear.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Stage 2 has come in the form of messed up dreams, like really, really messed up dreams. Still, nearly a week has passed and I have been true to my word. It has been harder than I thought it would be mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here