Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giving up my season ticket.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Actually I didn't say that....

What I feel is that the price differential (yes, I suppose looking at the Cat A games) is high enough to make me go ouch and reconsider, which is a shame. Before season tickets at the Amex I paid the same walk up price for every game iirc and I don't really agree with this category A,B, C thing. Tbh, I just haven't moved with the times perhaps and prefer the old days too much, maybe the Premier League razzle dazzle is no longer worth it for me :shrug:

Afraid it's modern life and market forces. More want to watch us play the likes of Liverpool Man City etc than Burnley and Norwich.

However, your last comment is probably the most pertinent, it's up to every individual to decide whether or not the cost is worth to them.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Linked to that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if 3pm kick-offs in the EPL were phased out completely in the next couple of years in favour of whatever time offers the most attractive TV marketing opportunity

Well they won’t be in the next 3 years because the TV contract was renewed in 2021 until 2025 with no change to the tv slots.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
All of that may be true (Paul Barber, if he reads NSC must truly love your contributions), however at least with regard to NSC posters, there is a concerningly large number this year, who in spite of all this, are considering their renewal more carefully.

Perhaps it's indicative of NSC's demographic, and this may indeed be the case, but surely it's not easy reading if for whatever reason, or a multitude of perceived small ills, many of the most staunch Brighton fans from the 60's, 70's onwards, are now in this position.

Personally I am going to renew, but it is mostly due to the family contact I have with my brother and sons. Were it not for that, I would pick and choose matches on a game by game basis due to the many small and larger inconveniences vested upon us by the TV companies, Amex location and lastly, sadly, by the club.

I will reiterate that I am not damning the club with that judgement, I base my own feelings on small petty rules, but I still believe the club is pretty fantastic and very well run.

I would have thought the posts that talk in detail like yours and many others on this thread grappling with whether to renew or not are the ones that Barber perversely likes the most as that’s really valuable insight for him deciding how to come up with a plan to retain as many fans as possible. Not my boring posts going on about how many season ticket holders we have ! You’d expect he already knows that …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I would have thought the posts that talk in detail like yours and many others on this thread grappling with whether to renew or not are the ones that Barber perversely likes the most as that’s really valuable insight for him deciding how to come up with a plan to retain as many fans as possible. Not my boring posts going on about how many season ticket holders we have ! You’d expect he already knows that …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha, I mean, with respect, that you are a great exponent, in general, for the way the club is run - surely a dream fan for Mr Barber. If it wasn't for disgruntled fans such as myself, maybe his job would be a little easier. And I agree, he will have an eye on the thread, customer feedback is a good tool for adjustment.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Haha, I mean, with respect, that you are a great exponent, in general, for the way the club is run - surely a dream fan for Mr Barber. If it wasn't for disgruntled fans such as myself, maybe his job would be a little easier. And I agree, he will have an eye on the thread, customer feedback is a good tool for adjustment.

Is it representative customer feedback though ? A handful of people on a football forum don’t necessarily represent the views of 30000+ people. It’s a similar problem in politics with a small minority making a loud noise.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Is it representative customer feedback though ? A handful of people on a football forum don’t necessarily represent the views of 30000+ people. It’s a similar problem in politics with a small minority making a loud noise.

It is representative of many in this group of fans. It is up to the powers that be whether they listen or not. The same argument can be made about almost anything unless one canvasses everyone. I think Chailey is right in that it will pan out with this season's renewals. Let's have this conversation in a few months and then we'll see if the dissatisfaction registered by some on here translates into fewer season tickets sold.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Many people that have said they are giving up their season ticket haven’t said they are never going again, some including the OP have said they will still buy a ticket and go to games when it suits.

It’s not compulsory to have a season ticket to support the Albion. Tickets now seem to be easy to buy for individual games and I’m sure it makes sense for some to do this rather than have a ST and miss several games because the kick off isn’t a Saturday 3pm.

I was thinking of giving up my season ticket, as mentioned on this thread, but with 2 Saturday 3pm home games coming up I have decided to carry on.

Just to clarify, at no point did I say it was.

I appreciate the reply, but it doesn’t really change my thoughts on the matter. I’m struggling to get my head around so many people using the excuse of rearranged fixtures to justify ditching their tickets (yes it’s an inconvenience) but to then not actually be there to support the Albion whilst sitting at home watching on TV (the people who’ve rearranged it) just seems a bit bizarre. As I previously said, I understand and do appreciate some people have different reasons and choices to make and that’s fair enough, but I still find it depressing seeing so many people turning in their tickets whilst we’re doing so well in the top flight.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It is representative of many in this group of fans. It is up to the powers that be whether they listen or not. The same argument can be made about almost anything unless one canvasses everyone. I think Chailey is right in that it will pan out with this season's renewals. Let's have this conversation in a few months and then we'll see if the dissatisfaction registered by some on here translates into fewer season tickets sold.

I agree with your final sentence. The numbers will tell the story. We aren’t renewing so that’s 3 gone. I don’t necessarily think it will be difficult for the club to replace us though.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I appreciate the reply, but it doesn’t really change my thoughts on the matter. I’m struggling to get my head around so many people using the excuse of rearranged fixtures to justify ditching their tickets (yes it’s an inconvenience) but to then not actually be there to support the Albion whilst sitting at home watching on TV (the people who’ve rearranged it) just seems a bit bizarre. As I previously said, I understand and do appreciate some people have different reasons and choices to make and that’s fair enough, but I still find it depressing seeing so many people turning in their tickets whilst we’re doing so well in the top flight.

Not that bizarre. The tv companies have made it easier to be a regular Albion watcher via their medium than actually going to the stadium. It’s not our reason for giving up but I understand the reasoning.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

With your first sentence just to clarify, at no point did I say you did say it was compulsory :thumbsup:I was just pointing out to you and others that Albion fans are not walking away from supporting the Albion, and making the point about buying tickets for a match that suits.

Your point about Albion fans watching on tv.
With fans that live outside of the area I imagine travelling from somewhere maybe 70+ miles away after a days work isn’t an option for a game in the evening, where travelling on a Saturday ( their day off ) isn’t an issue.
If the game is on tv why not watch it? I have no problem with this….not everyone signs up to Sky Sports for football, but it would be daft not to also watch the Albion play football if they had got SS for motor sport or whatever.

I get depressed about things in life but not football fans giving up season tickets.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

I've got 3 tickets - one for me and my three sons and my Dad has one as well who is 84. How we manage that next year (one is at Uni, one has moved to London, and one hasn't been this year due to his health) is complicated so another worry for Barber there !

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
With your first sentence just to clarify, at no point did I say you did say it was compulsory …I was just pointing out to you and others that Albion fans are not walking away from supporting the Albion, and making the point about buying tickets for a match that suits.

With fans that live outside of the area I imagine travelling from somewhere maybe 70+ miles away after a days work isn’t an option for a game in the evening, where travelling on a Saturday ( their day off ) isn’t an issue.
If the game is on tv why not watch it? I have no problem with this….not everyone signs up to Sky Sports for football, but it would be daft not to also watch the Albion play football if they had got SS for motor sport or whatever.

I get depressed about things in life but not football fans giving up season tickets.

Yeah agreed, I don’t see how it affects anybody else. Believe me I am disappointed to be giving up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The club / Barber will be fine with their stance on STs. Post-COVID era there will be sufficient demand to fill the stadium again.

The only reason to give up a ST is if you don't actually want to go to 14+ matches at The Amex each season. Buying tickets match by match will be more difficult again in future and especially for the more attractive fixtures that you want to attend...

I had a gap of a few Amex seasons without a ST, including some EPL seasons.

I found it easy to get match-day tickets even for Liverpool and I didn’t anally call the club or go online the moment the window opened. If I forgot the key date, I just bought them on the exchange when that date opened.

Never missed out.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
With your first sentence just to clarify, at no point did I say you did say it was compulsory :thumbsup:I was just pointing out to you and others that Albion fans are not walking away from supporting the Albion, and making the point about buying tickets for a match that suits.

I think we’re possibly talking about different scenarios here. For those that live a fair distance away I totally understand the lure of watching on tv if for example a Sat 3pm kick off has been switched to a Tuesday night, but for those who actually live local to stay at home and watch on tv rather than actually go and support the team, that just seems a bit sad to me. To me football isn’ta tv show, it’s something you attend and you go to show your support for your team, I appreciate my mindset will not align with everyone else.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I think we’re possibly talking about different scenarios here. For those that live a fair distance away I totally understand the lure of watching on tv if for example a Sat 3pm kick off has been switched to a Tuesday night, but for those who actually live local to stay at home and watch on tv rather than actually go and support the team, that just seems a bit sad to me. To me football isn’ta tv show, it’s something you attend and you go to show your support for your team, I appreciate my mindset will not align with everyone else.

Great post and possibly clearer now. I wholeheartedly agree. I always feel sorry for the armchair supporters who have never experienced a live match, the TV offering is so different to the live event that it is a wonder anyone recognises the two as being the same thing.

Problem is, even for those of us a little further than the edges of Brighton, it's increasingly becoming harder on occasion, to watch the AlbionTM due to all the issues mentioned in this thread. These minor to major complaints erode the love for going, not necessarily love for the club.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I used to be firmly in the “football isn’t a tv show” camp, but unfortunately the Premier League, Sky Sports, BT etc etc do not give 2 f***s about the ticket buying football fan.
I’m still hanging on by a thread but I’m thinking…. if you can’t beat them, join them…..this is what they want.

I still do not want to give up my season ticket though, but I can still sympathise with others.
Going to football these days is a million miles away from what first attracted me to it many years ago

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I used to be firmly in the “football isn’t a tv show” camp, but unfortunately the Premier League, Sky Sports, BT etc etc do not give 2 f***s about the ticket buying football fan.
I’m still hanging on by a thread but I’m thinking…. if you can’t beat them, join them…..this is what they want.

I still do not want to give up my season ticket though, but I can still sympathise with others.
Going to football these days is a million miles away from what first attracted me to it many years ago

I just txted my pal to say I've cried off tonight. I got in the car, with a borderline dodgy gut, and the 'black ice' warning light flashed at me and, with visions of cretins in black poncing about at t'Amex, and the prospect of tipping my car into a hedge at midnight on the way home, I decided to give the 4 hour drive a miss tonight. In solidarity with [MENTION=37530]monty uk[/MENTION], and others who can't go, I will be watching it on the tellybox.

Let's hope I'll be all wistful at 90 minutes, sad I wasn't there we we gave them a proper thumping.

Still.....nice bottle of red wine....warmth . . .what's not to like? :wink:

Edit, five minutes later....I already feel like a dirty traitor. What have I done? ??? :eek:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Fully understand your point, but there will be hundreds if not thousands replacing those of us who won't or haven't renewed their ST's and the newer younger fans are more likely to do a 30/40 year stint like many of us already have in the past. I know what you mean about now we're the most successful we've ever been and I am delighted where we are, but I'm a rare creature who almost enjoyed the rise from the doldrums and the challenges along the way to get to the promised land over the last 25 years, more than the corporate TV dominated game the top flight has now become, hence my move back to the non league game.

There will always be churn at any club and I don't think for 1 second the club are worried about a small number of us not renewing for whatever reasons.

The future is still amazingly positive even if the match scheduling is a complete nightmare.

I'm positive that as stated there are plenty of new fans coming along to replace old farts like me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here