Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giving players a car when the player is already banned from driving

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Unless I've missed something, I gather you're talking about Reyes?
I heard that he was only stopped by the police because he was driving about in his Ferrari? At which point they found out he was disqualified..

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Based on the hearsay comment of some old geezer on the phone-in, who wanted to discuss a rumour on a topic which has still to be heard in a court of law.

Anyway, if an organisation makes a company car available to an employee, isn't the onus on the employee to declare that he or she is unable to drive it for whatever reason? Companies do not generally issue statements on their employees' transgressions of the law - unless it is high profile and of direct relevance to the employee's job, so why should a football club start making statements?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Based on the hearsay comment of some old geezer on the phone-in, who wanted to discuss a rumour on a topic which has still to be heard in a court of law.

Anyway, if an organisation makes a company car available to an employee, isn't the onus on the employee to declare that he or she is unable to drive it for whatever reason? Companies do not generally issue statements on their employees' transgressions of the law - unless it is high profile and of direct relevance to the employee's job, so why should a football club start making statements?

Correct! And club cars are Mercedes, not Audis.

Anyway, if an organisation makes a company car available to an employee, isn't the onus on the employee to declare that he or she is unable to drive it for whatever reason?
Good practice is for an employer (and, indeed, any operator of fleet vehicles) to check the driving licences of all drivers permitted to drive company vehicles.

Not that we know that a company vehicle was involved in this episode.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Good practice is for an employer (and, indeed, any operator of fleet vehicles) to check the driving licences of all drivers permitted to drive company vehicles.

The company i work for has a contract with an outside agency to check driving licences of our employees,this agency is used by some of the big transport companys in Britain but they still failed to inform us 1 of our drivers had just been disqualified.The law states that any company that employs drivers only need to check driving licences twice a year that puts the emphasis on to the person who holds the licence to inform his or hers employers.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

I agree.

My company operate a six monthly license check up...

I have heard of drivers carrying on with driving duties after receiving a ban, including one bus driver! :eek:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I hada boss who was banned for DD in the 70s who sold his car and bought another one and registered it under the name of an Irishman who ran one of his pubs at the pubs address. Then the man got a duplicate licence which my boss carried at all times. He was even stopped for abreatherlyser , which he passed usin g the Irishmans name. They didnt have photo ID licences then though and all checks were done manually rather than instantly overa computer in the police car. I am not saying it was right but it happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here