Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Give Blood. Please.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Does it hurt or anything ? Looked at doing it a couple of times before and thats the only sticking point really. Already on the donor register so may as well give some blood too.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
My misses had a huge blood lose when she gave birth to our son, she was told she need a transfusion but rejected, her blood levels where very low but she showed no symptoms of it, one of her reasons was that if she had she would not be able to donate blood ever again.

Clearly if she had become ill she would have

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I gave my first ever donation yesterday and I am no youngster. I told them I hate needles and they were very sympathetic and caring. I am a good bleeder so was done in 4.5 minutes. No after effects. Nice cup of coffee with crisps lol.
Wish I had started years ago.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I used to donate every time the mobile unit came to where I worked. Unfortunately it operated on the standard NHS principle of "We're Gods and whilst we're going to get very arsey with anyone who turns up late for an appointment we are going to reinforce our sense of innate superiority by not even attempting to keep to the schedule we agreed with you". I put up with it about ten times and then, work in chaos and deadlines shot, crept silently away, never to give blood again.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
How's he getting on Jim? Has he had the bone marrow transplant yet? I know you said it'd been delayed because he wasn't too well.

Still waiting unfortunately. Just under a week to go. Worst thing is there's always a chance that the Leukaemia can return before he has the transplant (though I think thje MArsden think it's a very small chance).Though he's in Remission (which means there are no detectible cells), they know that if he doesn't have the transplant it will return and then return harder to treat and more resistant to Chemo. But we're watching everything that he's doing and it's hard not to worry thinking that it's come back already. I think we just can't wait for it to happen. thanks for asking though :)

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
I used to donate every time the mobile unit came to where I worked. Unfortunately it operated on the standard NHS principle of "We're Gods and whilst we're going to get very arsey with anyone who turns up late for an appointment we are going to reinforce our sense of innate superiority by not even attempting to keep to the schedule we agreed with you". I put up with it about ten times and then, work in chaos and deadlines shot, crept silently away, never to give blood again.

They're not like that at all at Shoreham, infact very friendly and would bend over backwards. Try finding out when the next one is in local centre. Could try one last time and see how they are?

Blood saves lives. So by doing it, you could well be making a difference.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
My misses had a huge blood lose when she gave birth to our son, she was told she need a transfusion but rejected, her blood levels where very low but she showed no symptoms of it, one of her reasons was that if she had she would not be able to donate blood ever again.

Clearly if she had become ill she would have

Same as my wife. She needed 4 units. But the arguement to her was that if you don't have the blood you won't be able to enjoy your daughter as you'll be so anemic for many months, so she had it.

The thing with never giving blood again is not quite true. At the moment they can't give blood, but as soon as they develop a test for CJD then they will be able to give blood again - or that's my understanding.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
booked for 22nd May - just awaiting confirmation.

went to do it a couple of months back but it was completely booked.

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
free brew & borbon biscuits - why do more people not give blood ?

little tip to encourage your chums to give blood......

next time you out on the town, by a horrible shot (baileys + tabasco or neat gin)
put it on the table and say "right, that is for the person who has given blood the longest time ago........"
first time i did this, i had to go back and buy 4 more as 5 people had never given blood!

the next time, it was only 2 shots
the next time it was me who had to drink it !

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
booked for 22nd May - just awaiting confirmation.

went to do it a couple of months back but it was completely booked.

I just turn up and they always fit me in. Would be crazy if they turned you away. A lot of people book appointments but not everybody sticks to them (or are late), so I'm sure there's spare capacity even if the appointment systems says not.

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Don't forget when you give blood to consider BONE MARROW DONATION. All you have to do to join the register is ask when you sign in. They will give you a leaflet + a bit that you fill in, then take a little bit extra blood.

Someone on this register has donated their Stem Cells and has given my 3 year old a very good chance of a long and almost normal life.
Giving blood is special, donating Bone Marrow/ Stem Cells is an amazing thing to do.

http://www.blood.co.uk

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Booked in to donate again on June 15th, will be pint 31 or 32, can't remember, have had problems giving recently as the good folk of Sullington & Storrington all seem to want to give blood en masse - the point of this post is to confirm that it is EASY to do, practically painless and socially worthwhile - why wouldn't you do it if you could?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I went and did it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised by the relatively narrow age range of people giving blood. The vast majority of the people there were above their 40s at least I'd say, with only one or two around my age (early 20s). I suspect that a lot of older people have had experience of someone in their lives needing a blood transfusion, hence why they now give blood as they see how it can save someones life.

But why don't more young people do it? Why didn't I do it before now? There isn't a reason really and I wish I'd started going a few years earlier. It only takes, what, half hour of your time, hardly hurts at all and yet could save a life. It would be good if in some way more younger people could be encouraged to do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here