Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giroud

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe we could just sign up his immaculately groomed stunt double and park him on the bench all season? Nobody would be any the wiser shirley :moo:

NINTCHDBPICT000542786092-e1574687256704.jpg

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He's not when compared to Mitrovic, Giroud hardly scratches the surface.

For much of NSC criteria for a new striker is:-

Former striker to return - we've now finally run out
Player who scores against us - Mitrovic.
Aging benchwarmer 'name' who lives local.

For the club the criteria is:-

Moneyball youngster - becomes too expensive.
Moneyball youngster - under 23's.
Whoever is left.

We can all be certain the club have scouted hundreds of strikers, this season.
Yet Giroud becomes the answer because he's won a world cup and is 'far to good for us'.

My memory of his W/C is a little shaky but it's something like 40 minutes 1 goal and a performance that nearly cost France the World Cup!!

Soon we'll find out who the next Nunez, El Cucumber, (can't remember his name) & I can't remember the one before that either, the club has scouted and put a hard valuation on.

That valuation will be too low.
He'll not sign.
Yet we can draw a pretty straight line between the decision to not sign Nunez 12 months ago and costing £8m just from the last 3 games alone.

The huge contradiction being Maupay aside 'we can't afford promising striker' but that decision has literally taken money out of the club for the past 4 seasons.

Yet the entire fantastic defence has been put together for less than £30m, £6m a season.

I find all sides of this incredibly frustrating as I'm sure everyone else does, from Mr Bloom down.

Giroud or Mitrovic aren't the answer.
The club know who the answer is.

Will they buy him?

(The clamour for Welbeck to resign appears to have died down since Murray laid out all his shortcomings on national TV)

Barnes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not true. You need to learn to read

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry must be someone else who rants and raves about us not buying a top notch quality striker EVERY transfer window :wink:

Here’s just one example from a quick trawl of your posts, how much do you think a Murray in his prime would cost these days, and are you seriously suggesting the club aren’t aware that we need a quality striker? They are just not willing to splash what would be required imo, it’s not rocket science. I will resist being plain rude to you even though you have no problem often being rude to anyone who challenges your striker demands.

You can stop being afraid now, we are not getting relegated.

“Don’t put words in my mouth HWT. I have NEVER said sack the board or Barber out. I HAVE pointed out correctly that our failure to sign Muzza 2 has increased our chances of relegation . I am afraid...”

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A fading force, no pace, but a gay icon. It's a tough one, if we are looking at signing up a Chelsea striker it's a no brainer, we should be moving heaven and earth to sign Tammy.

I had a cat called Tammy once.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
One thing Giroud would get here is pretty well guaranteed game time when fit. Seems he has been a super sub for Arsenal and Chelsea for a while now. Can we dream that he may actually want to play for a team playing at the top level where he would be one of the first names on the team sheet?

Go to another big club and he’ll end up being a super sub again

No chance he’s coming here but I love grasping at straws

I don’t rate Arsenal as a big club anymore.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Unfortunately it isn’t

Please expand. My take is that (a) most of us know we need to upgrade our striker options, but (b) most of us know we are not going to spend £50 million on a proven premier league striker:

I don’t think I have seen anybody call Uncle Tony cheap.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Sorry must be someone else who rants and raves about us not buying a top notch quality striker EVERY transfer window :wink:

Here’s just one example from a quick trawl of your posts, how much do you think a Murray in his prime would cost these days, and are you seriously suggesting the club aren’t aware that we need a quality striker? They are just not willing to splash what would be required imo, it’s not rocket science. I will resist being plain rude to you even though you have no problem often being rude to anyone who challenges your striker demands.

“Don’t put words in my mouth HWT. I have NEVER said sack the board or Barber out. I HAVE pointed out correctly that our failure to sign Muzza 2 has increased our chances of relegation . I am afraid...”

I point out we need a striker yes. Show me where I have said we need to invest, say, £40 million in this guy (you cannot, because I haven’t). Your example just backs my point up.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Have you lost it? You have already responded to this on post 124 :rolleyes:

Probably. I just don’t like being accused of saying something I have never said.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's not impossible. Yes, He might want to go and play exhibition football in China, India or the States or somewhere for megabucks. He might want to carry on playing football at at good level in a competitive league. He's on big money, and he won't come and play for us out of the kindness of his heart - he's greedy, like all top level footballers, but let's assume he's not excessively greedy and wants to keep playing - so how about this:

He's on £110K a week (£5.5M a year) but he'll be leaving on a free in the summer. So, £10M signing on fee, two years at £60K a week (£6M over the two years) and a £10M golden handshake - total £26M. That's a lot cheaper than spaffing out for that £40M striker that some complain vociferously that that we're doomed without.

And from Giroud's point of view, he gets £13M a year over the two years, all without breaking our wage structure. And if all was going well for both parties after two years, he could probably trouser another £3M if he wanted.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Did he really put that in a reply to my mockery?

I have him on ignore now and this has increased my enjoyment of NSC 110%.

:wink:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
A fading force, no pace, but a gay icon. It's a tough one, if we are looking at signing up a Chelsea striker it's a no brainer, we should be moving heaven and earth to sign Tammy.

Nail on head and that is why this WILL happen. An extra 50,000 local fans overnight. His wages will be covered simply by the increase in sales in the club shop.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That hypothetical £26m we'd never see again. That would be absolutely terrible business for a player of his age.

If we are to spend tens of millions on a striker, then we will surely do so with the expectation that we can make some money back if he fails, or profit if he doesn't.

£26m on Giroud would be absolute lunacy. £10m could be acceptable, but even that would be an expensive gamble.

Like we've got great expectations of making a profit on Maupay, Locadia, Welbeck or Jahanbakhsh, eh? And there's a few more in other positions we've got no chance of getting back the money we paid fir them, let alone making a profit. And although we don't know the details, I suspect that Welbeck's deal is structured in a similar manner, just slightly smaller numbers.

And we'd still be paying that £40M striker money we'd never see again, every week. £Millions of it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here