Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giorgio Chiellini - thoughts?

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Brilliant CB over the past number of years. Made a massive difference tonight in performance but character and driving Italy forward

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One of the enduring tragedies of this match is that Grealish or Sancho weren't given an opportunity to run at him.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
A pastmaster at gamesmanship. His neck tackle tonight was shocking and, for me (biased, I know), merited more than a yellow.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He’d have still got them better of them. He and Bonucci are just wonderful defenders with big game experience our players just haven’t got close to yet.

Chiellini also in a different league to Kane as a captain.

We'll never know. As for Kane's captaincy, anything he says or does has to be seen in the context of the manager's tactics, which is to firstly stifle the opposition.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He managed absolutely fine against the pace of Sterling and Saka and Grealish did get 25 minutes and contributed nothing also so I think we do know. The better team and manager won.

If your definition of managing fine is grabbing a bloke by his collar as he's sprinting past you then, yes, he did.

I agree with you that the better team and manager won, although had Southgate changed to a back four at half time and given Grealish 75 mins, rathen than 20, things might have panned out differently.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A pastmaster at gamesmanship. His neck tackle tonight was shocking and, for me (biased, I know), merited more than a yellow.

Your bias, unfortunately, means that you're not paying attention to the rules. However blatant that shirt pull was, it wasn't a red, because it didn't prevent a goalscoring opportunity -- there were covering defenders.
Jorginho, on the other hand, should have seen red for an over the top tackle with great force, that endangered an opponent. I'm not entirely convinced that it would have effected the end result.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We'll never know. As for Kane's captaincy, anything he says or does has to be seen in the context of the manager's tactics, which is to firstly stifle the opposition.

Does Kane actually say anything though? He just seems to run around with a slack jaw. I appreciate one can lead by example but when you disappear from the game you can’t.

Chiellini on the other hand….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here