Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Giffgaff

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
I wasn't given an option. In fact I have just moved to Lebra and the process was far more straight forward, their web site has no small (make that invisible) print. Same price less hassle. If there are ANY restrictions on any deal on any item then they should be displayed clearly. Oh, and I have just switched my number, another painless process.

Tried Giffgaff for a few days but their customer support in my experience was not that good. Now with Lebara (who use Vodafone) and have been very impressed with both costs and support.

This is about Giffgaff not Lebara, are you their new salesman or something?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
This is about Giffgaff not Lebara, are you their new salesman or something?

Just advising people of my experience, I asked the same question of both firms and Lebara got back to me in eight hours as against GiffGaff who took four days. says it all.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Ok I studied that Lebara's website and I cant see anywhere where you can buy a 'bundle' for example on Orange you get Dolphin, O2 do Simplicity and GiffGaff do the Goody Bags.

To send a text message costs 10p, do that 100 times and you've lost your 10 pound credit!

The internet - Internet (first 10MB / day) FREE but after that it's Internet (after first 10MB) 15p per MB? GiffGaff is free internet all day long!

Calls to other mobiles, Lebara 10p - GiffGaff 8p!

Lebara picture messaging, 45p to send one - GiffGaff it's 16p, nearly two thirds cheaper!

Compare the prices yourself here

Pay As You Go Tariffs | International Call Rates | Lebara Mobile

Unlimited Texts | Free Calls and Mobile Internet | giffgaff

If I've missed something please tell me, seriously, and do Lebara do the free international text messages that turned you off from GiffGaff?

Also worth remembering that GiffGaff pricing becomes irrelevant if you buy a goody bag because you get free internet/texts/calls anyway!

Says it all, you are paying more for less. FACT

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes, it runs on the 02 network which offers auto top ups anyway, the founder of GiffGaff was the brand something or other for 02, and i saw they had the same option to top up either on a schedual no matter what your credit was OR top up if your credit went down to 3 pounds or less, or whatever you wanted.

The other thing i liked was if you top up 20, and buy 2 10 pound goodie bags thats you covered for 2 months. they won't run concurrently.

I'm really quite excited about getting my phone now, i've got a tocco lite at the moment but i'm buying a friends Dell Streak (5inch tablet phone with android) so this very unlimited internet even without teathering is pretty awesome.

Superbez's review inspires confidence... i can't wait!

I know I am a bit late, but GiffGaff /is/ o2, it is just a 'social experiment' to see how it goes and how it spreads. Had a meeting with them today, very interesting stuff!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I know I am a bit late, but GiffGaff /is/ o2, it is just a 'social experiment' to see how it goes and how it spreads. Had a meeting with them today, very interesting stuff!

that is interesting. Nevertheless Superbez will be getting more cash in his account, although I shall be 'recommending' giffgaff to my other half myself to take further advantage of their deals :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just started looking into this, was going to give my iPhone 3G to the wife, and get a new iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S for me. This almost makes it worth buying the phone from Apple, then getting the Sim from GiffGaff rather than getting into any kind of 18/24 month contract. I'd probably only use a £10 goodybag per month, so over 24months £240 for that, and £500 for the phone (4s) works out cheaper than the deals O2 offer on a contract.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Just started looking into this, was going to give my iPhone 3G to the wife, and get a new iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S for me. This almost makes it worth buying the phone from Apple, then getting the Sim from GiffGaff rather than getting into any kind of 18/24 month contract. I'd probably only use a £10 goodybag per month, so over 24months £240 for that, and £500 for the phone (4s) works out cheaper than the deals O2 offer on a contract.

It really is worth it as you are not tied up into a long contract. I couldn't recommend them more.

Getting a sim through this link will give you an extra £5 credit for free.

Free Mobile SIM Cards | giffgaff.com

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

It's the best way to go if you can afford the up front fee for a SIM-free iPhone from Apple. When the iPhone 5 comes out in less than a year you'll be able to punt your 4s on for £350-£400 and move straight to the new phone as you'll not be locked into a contract.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles

Exactly! and you get more texts (unlimited) and more data (unlimited) than you would on a contract! Honestly, I know i bang on about GiffGaff but it's bloody great. I joined in January and no joke, I was paid 50 quid in May and am already over 50 quid for the next payout in December, just for answering a few questions and handing out a few sim cards. I use the 10.00 goody bag and it's perfect. I'm seriously looking into buying myself a sim free iphone 4 and handing my 3gs to my wife

give it a go, click on that and you get 5 quids credit for free, and I get a little something for recommending you

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks for the advice, I've just ordered my first sim to see how it goes, then will probably order another for the wife. Superbez, sounds like we are doing the same thing in terms of 'treating' the wife to our old phones, while bagging a new one in the process - everyone is a winner!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Thanks for the advice, I've just ordered my first sim to see how it goes, then will probably order another for the wife. Superbez, sounds like we are doing the same thing in terms of 'treating' the wife to our old phones, while bagging a new one in the process - everyone is a winner!

Yeah mate, it's just finding the cash to put up for it in one go, once you've overcome that - NO CONTRACT :)

When I have a simple problem I do not expect to have to fart about getting round it. A simple question should get a straight answer eventually I did get a full refund but I would not recommend GiffGaff as the 'Goody Bags' miss out certain information the 'unlimited free texts' are UK only, pity they don't mention that anywhere.
When you see ads for, say, '200 free anytime cross-network minutes', do you think this means anywhere in the World? Of course you don't, so why would you think that of GiffGaff's texts?

Tethering is when you use your

mobile phone to connect your

PC/laptop to the internet

using it's 3g signal, it is

effectively your modem! Giff

Gaff offer a truly uncapped

data plan with their goody

bags, you can download as much

music or browse as many sites

as you like on your phone ,

they do not however allow you

to use it to link it to your

PC in the above mentioned way

to surf the net or watch films

and stuff. They can tell if a

user is doing this due to a

'spike' in the data being used

(a one off here or there you'd

PROBABLY get away with) Hope

this helps
OK so if I use the Giffgaff sim in a 3G smartphone capable of streaming BBC iPlayer, are you saying that would still be unlimited? I could easily use 15GB on that and webcam sites in a month.

Last edited:

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
When you see ads for, say, '200 free anytime cross-network minutes', do you think this means anywhere in the World? Of course you don't, so why would you think that of GiffGaff's texts?

OK so if I use the Giffgaff sim in a 3G smartphone capable of streaming BBC iPlayer, are you saying that would still be unlimited? I could easily use 15GB on that and webcam sites in a month.

I believe that if you go over 20gb they might flag it, but if you don't do it day in, day out, you should be fine

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's the best way to go if you can afford the up front fee for a SIM-free iPhone from Apple. When the iPhone 5 comes out in less than a year you'll be able to punt your 4s on for £350-£400 and move straight to the new phone as you'll not be locked into a contract.

Well, all worked out as planned. Apple sent me a new iphone4S, I cut my own GiffGaff sim into microsim size (simple with a template), and everything works fine apart from voicemail - the GiffGaff deal with O2 lets them use the network, but it can't utilise the voicemail button. Not a major problem, I use On Voicefeed which is a free visual voicemail app which is very good.

The wife got my old iPhone3G which was already O2, so a GiffGaff sim also went straight in that. Both phones only need the £10 per month goody bag, and all the data etc. is included and works.

Love the fact if I go aboard I can easily pick up a local sim card for my contract free 4S and make cheap calls in that country.

I'm going to add my own link to GiffGaff, you will save money. Free mobile sim card - giffgaff

The Bear

Dec 21, 2010
Exactly! and you get more texts (unlimited) and more data (unlimited) than you would on a contract! Honestly, I know i bang on about GiffGaff but it's bloody great. I joined in January and no joke, I was paid 50 quid in May and am already over 50 quid for the next payout in December, just for answering a few questions and handing out a few sim cards. I use the 10.00 goody bag and it's perfect. I'm seriously looking into buying myself a sim free iphone 4 and handing my 3gs to my wife

give it a go, click on that and you get 5 quids credit for free, and I get a little something for recommending you

Little something coming your way - sim ordered

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Little something coming your way - sim ordered

Nice one thanks mate, I noticed an email this morning saying that someone had ordered a sim through my link!
I have nothing but good things to say about GiffGaff, seriously! People will have problems, it happens on all networks but myself, my wife and my sister in law have never had any issues. I mentioned this payback thing they do (answer a few questions on the forum, pass out some sim cards etc) between 1st June and 31st October I have already earned 51.30 and I only answered about 5-6 questions (probably incorrectly lol) and had some hits on my sim order link. This will be paid to me either in free credit for my phone or to my bank via paypal at the end of this month or next, I can't remember they do it every 6 months. I only joined in January, the last payment I got was over 50 quid so in 11 months they have paid me back over 100 quid, incredible! All this plus UNLIMITED text messages and internet, I know I bang on about it but it really is THAT good!
If you want to see for yourself, have a go here Free Mobile SIM Cards | giffgaff.com remember, free 5 pounds credit if you do :thumbsup:

Last edited:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I'm going to move to giffgaff as in 2 weeks I'm moving out of woodingdean up to Burgess Hill, I've been on 3 for 10 years and never had a problem until recently as the signal strength is shocking now, it's just bombed out on me, plus I don't get signal in the new place.

O2 have great signal strength where I'm moving to so for me it's the way forward.

I've 5 months to go til my 3 contract ends so I'm intending to drop this contract to minimal possible outlay, get the phone unlocked (HTC desire HD) and pop in my new giffgaff sim.

Can I port over my number whilst this contract is still active?? And is it true what I've heard about no voicemail on giffgaff?

Any replys would be welcome... :cool:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm going to move to giffgaff as in 2 weeks I'm moving out of woodingdean up to Burgess Hill, I've been on 3 for 10 years and never had a problem until recently as the signal strength is shocking now, it's just bombed out on me, plus I don't get signal in the new place.

O2 have great signal strength where I'm moving to so for me it's the way forward.

I've 5 months to go til my 3 contract ends so I'm intending to drop this contract to minimal possible outlay, get the phone unlocked (HTC desire HD) and pop in my new giffgaff sim.

Can I port over my number whilst this contract is still active?? And is it true what I've heard about no voicemail on giffgaff?

Any replys would be welcome... :cool:

Not sure about moving your number whilst under contract, I'm sure someone else will have an answer.
As for voicemail, no idea where that's come from, I have it and use it without any problems.
Giffgaff service = Non existent however you get what you pay for. £10 each top up, 250 anytime mins, unlimited texts and unlimited net. Can't complain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here