Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting round work web restrictions

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Does anyone know a betting site, or a way of getting onto a betting site, when all of them seem to be forbidden by my work?

I feel the need to waste even more of my working day and my cash.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
do a google search and click the links until one works...thats if google works :)

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Can you specify a proxy server in your browser config ??

If so, there are plenty of anonymous servers you can connect via -which might fool your companies web filters.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There are plenty of free proxy programs / sites out there. These normally allow you to get round most companies web filters such as Websweeper, Websense, Smartfilter and Surfcontrol.

Try .... Here

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
The only problem for proxy servers is that if your company have banned a certian site, it is logical to assume that they have some kind of system in place to track what you are accessing. This means that you might find your self in trouble.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
timco said:
God stingy bloody employers!

There is a very valid reason for this, and I've seen it happen.

The client where I currently work, had their Japan and US network go down due to a virus. This cost them a small fortune in lost business and cleaning up the network.

This virus was traced to a user clicking on an attachment to an e-mail whilst using Hotmail.

That's why most companies block webmail.

I can see the sense in banning hotmail - however where I work they are very stingy on gambling sites, so much so that I can't check the National Lottery numbers.

And they do seem to track what we watch, as fantasy football and games sites which we can see soon become blocked.
So while it's a nice idea to get a proxy server as Wardy says above, you'll probably end up in more trouble.

Big Brother eh?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
You could try using one of the translation sites such as babelfish. However, any IT Manager who has installed surfcontrol or similar should also have blocked the anonymizer sites which these are classed as.

If you try and work around the system, a vindictive IT manager will then remove all of your access rights.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
I get bbc news and that is about feckin it. Bloody LTSB they screw the staff as well as customers

*prepares to be sacked for abusing them*

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
BAA are hardly generous with their 'net access rights. I had to push to get access to the 'net at all but to be fair, since migrating to XP I've found more freedom. Including being able to use Media player for radio stations and of course NSC and the official Albion site have no problems.

I get mightily pissed off with companies restricting access to the internet entirely but as long as I've got access at all I'm not gonna complain. After all, I'd be bored rigid without being able to look up sites detailing Jamie Oliver death wishes and the like at work. What else am I gonna do?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Which helps with the Lottery numbers lol.
I did find a website which tells you the Lottery numbers that got through the company firewall but can't remember what it is at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here