Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting my eyes Lazered!

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Is there an age limit? Eyes start wearing out at 45 (which is when most people start to need reading glasses)

eyes deteriorating with age is a different problem Yorkie but there is a treatment for it. i think it's a bit more expensive though.

Here: http://www.optimax.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=7383

It looks like with new technology the healing process is quicker too reading some stories on here. They've said i cant drive, watch TV or use a computer for only 2 days and it wil take 2 to 4 days to recover fully.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
That treatment says it is suitable for older people who only need reading glasses. Unfortunately I use my glasses for computer work and driving as well, which is why I have varifocals. So it looks like it isn't for me.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
eyes deteriorating with age is a different problem Yorkie but there is a treatment for it. i think it's a bit more expensive though.

Here: http://www.optimax.co.uk/Default.aspx?page=7383

It looks like with new technology the healing process is quicker too reading some stories on here. They've said i cant drive, watch TV or use a computer for only 2 days and it wil take 2 to 4 days to recover fully.

I had my treatment at 11am on a Wednesday at Ultralase on Tottenham Ct Rd, went to a nearby hotel with slightly foggy and irritable eyes, went to sleep from 12 through to 4pm, woke up with PERFECT eyesight. This was on 8/8 this year.

Was driving the next day, wore Sunglasses for a week as your eyes are susceptible to bright lights for a short while

Had to take eye drops for a couple of weeks

Slight dryness in my eyes on waking up each morning, that lasted for just under a month.

I'm 36, and have had a -2.5 prescription for several years

Good luck to you!

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My dad is 59 and he had laser surgery on his eyes aged 55, having worn glasses since he was 6. Nowadays he just wears glasses for extended work on the computer.

My former father-in-law had one of the very first laser treatments. At the time, it was real pioneering stuff - so much so that the BBC turned up to record the procedure and interview him while it was happening.

It worked and he was very happy with the outcome.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Attachments

• sefree.jpg
    sefree.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 151

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Well, as I have an appointment with Optimax in Hove this week I am very interested in any other stories, especially Magoo or anyone who went to the Hove branch?

Seems ages ago now.

I had the treatment which took no more than 15 minutes and went back the following day for a check up and although things were still quite hazy they said i had 20:20 vision :thumbsup:

They give you about 3 months to settle fully before you know the final result. Mine are settled now and my left still has a tiny bit of astigmatism which is a little annoying now and again but doesn't require me to wear glasses. They said i can have that eye redone for £100 but i've decided it's not bad enough to risk the procedure again.

The aftercare is brilliant with Optimax and although its way past 3 months i'm still having free check ups with them until they are completely happy.

My eyes aren't quite as good now as when i was using glasses because glasses give you spot on perfect vision but they are still pretty good and better than most peoples vision.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Seems ages ago now.

I had the treatment which took no more than 15 minutes and went back the following day for a check up and although things were still quite hazy they said i had 20:20 vision :thumbsup:

They give you about 3 months to settle fully before you know the final result. Mine are settled now and my left still has a tiny bit of astigmatism which is a little annoying now and again but doesn't require me to wear glasses. They said i can have that eye redone for £100 but i've decided it's not bad enough to risk the procedure again.

The aftercare is brilliant with Optimax and although its way past 3 months i'm still having free check ups with them until they are completely happy.

My eyes aren't quite as good now as when i was using glasses because glasses give you spot on perfect vision but they are still pretty good and better than most peoples vision.

That's pretty much what I wanted to hear! I presume from the healing time you've said that you had LASIK as opposed to Epi-LASEK treatment? Do you mind telling me how much it cost, PM if you'd prefer?

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I'm thinking of trying CK – CONDUCTIVE KERATOPLASTY
A non-surgical procedure for the correction of presbyopia (the need for reading glasses). CK uses a probe to apply high frequency radio waves into the corneal tissue, causing shrinkage. This controlled shrinkage reshapes the cornea to change refractive error - This is offered by Optimax at £995 per eye,

Has anyone had this treatment?

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
That's pretty much what I wanted to hear! I presume from the healing time you've said that you had LASIK as opposed to Epi-LASEK treatment? Do you mind telling me how much it cost, PM if you'd prefer?

I thought if i'm getting it done might as well spend my money on the best treatments possible and went for the LASIK with the laser method of cutting the flap which is safer and heals quicker. You probably know but the worse your eyes are the more it costs as it means operating the laser longer and mine came to about £2500 in total. Seems alot at first but i have been wearing glasses since i was 12 and contacts for several years so i've spent way more than that in the past.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I thought if i'm getting it done might as well spend my money on the best treatments possible and went for the LASIK with the laser method of cutting the flap which is safer and heals quicker. You probably know but the worse your eyes are the more it costs as it means operating the laser longer and mine came to about £2500 in total. Seems alot at first but i have been wearing glasses since i was 12 and contacts for several years so i've spent way more than that in the past.

That's my logic to it as well, no point cheaping out with probably the most important part of your body! I was hoping to not have to spend that much, my prescription is less than 2.5 in each eye so I hope it might be a bit less but at the end of the day it means I should be able to play Footy, Pool, Cricket, Tennis, Squash, ect, ect an awful lot easier so small price to pay really!

As you say, if you take the cost of glasses and contacts over a decade and it'll pay for itself. Think i'm talking myself into it, just hope they can do it straight away so i don't have to think about it too much!

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
That's my logic to it as well, no point cheaping out with probably the most important part of your body! I was hoping to not have to spend that much, my prescription is less than 2.5 in each eye so I hope it might be a bit less but at the end of the day it means I should be able to play Footy, Pool, Cricket, Tennis, Squash, ect, ect an awful lot easier so small price to pay really!

As you say, if you take the cost of glasses and contacts over a decade and it'll pay for itself. Think i'm talking myself into it, just hope they can do it straight away so i don't have to think about it too much!

yours should be a bit cheaper as my eyes were alot worse.

it is great not having to worry about glasses or contacts specially if you go away somewhere.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
yours should be a bit cheaper as my eyes were alot worse.

it is great not having to worry about glasses or contacts specially if you go away somewhere.

Thats it, i went down the pub at the weekend with my glasses on, then decided I was gonna head to town for the evening so I left them in a mates car and didn't get them back till the next night! Pain in the arse!

Cheers for your help fella, if you lot don't hear from me again it means I'm either blind or dead, otherwise I post here after I've had it done! :thumbsup:

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I have vision where I cannot see things very well far away. I don't think you can get your eyes lazered for that can you?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
How did it go? If there's no answer, i'll assume not good.

Not good in that respect! :(

Apparently I have quite thin Cornea's which means if they do surgery (only the epi-LASEK rather than the LASIK is available to me) then they would never be able to any further remedial work if needed.

Because my prescription has changed by almost 0.5 and they wouldn't want to do it until my eyes have definately stopped getting worse due to reasons above and so the earliest i can have it done is this time next year.

It's not all bad though cos I don't really want the Lasek treatment and also it made me really try hard to wear contact lenses (last year i only got them in and out once!) and i'm currently wearing contacts for about the 7th day in a row.

Because I don't mind wearing glasses the majority of the time this is probably the best solution anyway. I'll just wear contacts for playing sport and going out on the pull! ;)

Cheers for the interest and advice fella!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here