Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gervais - Fame

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
Chesney Christ said:
Because some people have a subtle sense of humour that goes beyond the gift-wrapped delivered jokes you get on shows like Catherine Tate and Little Britain.

I don't rate Catherine Tate to be fair, all of her skecthes are completely the same IMO

Little Britain makes you laugh but it isn't really THAT funny, but you still laugh, its weird.

Ricky Gervais is MARMITE, either love him or hate him

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
why bother funding touts :nono:

McShane79

Oct 20, 2005
Worthing
I can't believe people don't like him - he's bloody funny! His stand up show was very well done. Fame was better than Politics, and on a par with Animals for me.

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
rospants said:
the unfunniest man on the planet:angry:

Hear! hear! He's not only unfunny but also slimey and gives me the creeps!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I still maintain that his comedy is not half as clever as he seems to think it is.

I guess it's all about perspective, but I find Ronnie Barker's work to be much funnier, not to mention far more cleverly written, particularly in terms of his ability to manipulate the English language, than anything Gervais and/or Merchant could manage in a month of Sundays.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd also say that people will remember and appreciate the likes of Ronnie Barker long after Gervais' fame has fizzled out.

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Lander said:
I don't see how ANYONE can see him as funny?

Yeah, you're right everyone else is just wrong.

Or maybe he's hilarious but you just don't quite get it?

Watcha think?

Lander

NSC down?
Jan 11, 2005
Lindfield
Rangdo said:
Yeah, you're right everyone else is just wrong.

Or maybe he's hilarious but you just don't quite get it?

Watcha think?

Nah I think quite a lto of people don't like/get him as you say

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Redhead said:
It was f***ing Superb tonight Ricky Gervais :bowdown:
Well, I have to disagree.

I thought tonight was to be honest and fair..... poor.

I saw Lee Evans last year at the centre, and I think of Lee Evans and Ricky Gervias in a simaliar way. Whilst they are not my favourites, I'm more of a Jimmy Jones/Mike Reied/Jim Davidson (When he aint singing) fan, I would have have paid to see them, but I though while Lee Evans was superb value, I thought Ricky Gervias was quite poor.

For nearly £28 of ticket, the performace was over far to quickly. If you take away the piss taking out of the groups, most other comideans dont touch, ie cancer suffers, and other stuff most comdieans dont need to use, theres not much to the show really.

While I think his TV shows like extras and The Office are top notch (forget about the Simpsons which was probably one of the worst ever episodes(Matt Groening what were you thinking)), his stand up falls way short. When you see stand up at a venue like the Brighton Centre, you except to hear the roof lift off the place a number of times thoughtout the performance, but while there were funny parts to the show, overall, I think most people left disappointed. Well, certainly the people I heard discussing it were. The was no time he had to wait for the laughs to die down before he continued, in fact quite the opposite.

So, for me I would give it a 3/10. Die hard fans of Gervais will probably love it. But its the same as we've seen before, and While his 'character' is funny, he is far to one dimentional to keep this sort of show going, and I personally think he should stick to what he does best, Television (excluding the Simpsons!).

So to sum up, quite disapointed with the show, £15 would have been a fairier price, should stick to tele. Overall a very lazy performance.

And one last point, a decent stand up takes the effort to learn their routine. How many times did he go for a 'sip' of beer, and at the same time check his lines!!!! Probably every two or three minutes. Do you ever see many of the classic stand-ups check their script every few minutes? BUt then Gervias will never be a classic stand up, and I for one will be very surprised if he does another routine. This one took two years to get on the road, I don't think we will see another..........

That is all!!

:p

Last edited:

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
Mr Burns said:
Well, I have to disagree.

I thought tonight was to be honest and fair..... poor.

For nearly £28 of ticket, the performace was over far to quickly. If you take away the piss taking out of the groups, most other comideans dont touch, ie cancer suffers, and other stuff most comdieans dont need to use, theres not much to the show really.

:p

I dont think of it as 28 quid. think of it as 3 pound more than the albion at withdean, ricky gervais was far more entertaining than we've been this season.

Maybe on reflection its fair to say it wasn't his best show, but I thought it was as good as Lee Evan's XL tour.

Mr Burns said:
If you take away the piss taking out of the groups, most other comideans dont touch, ie cancer suffers, and other stuff most comdieans dont need to use, theres not much to the show really.
The point is that Gervais isn't taking the piss out of cancer sufferers. He's taking the piss out of his audience's discomfort with cancer sufferers. This is never going to be easy humour, and Gervais knows that the jokes will have failed his purpose if they get nothing but a conventional belly laugh. And while we're feeling uncomfortable about cancer, we can damn well get uncomfortable about his celebrity at the same time. Hence the gags about the fundraising he does - motivated, he tells us, by the same selfishness that makes us hope that those little bald bastards with cancer will never enter our world.

Is it funny? It works for me. I can understand why it doesn't work for others.

Last edited:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Liking Gervais reminds me of being at school and being told that everyone likes Shakespeare, form an orderly queue:stupid:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here