Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gervais - Cemetary Junction - Surprisingly good

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I really enjoyed Cemetary Junction written by Gervais. It stiffed badly at the box office in the UK and the USA. His transition from TV to Films has hardly been a sparkling success. A cameo role in Night at the Museums 1 and 2, enjoyable enough and then the good Ghost Town when he did a pretty decent job in a lead role alongside the beautiful and talented Tea Leone but then the poor Invention of Lying.

I was not over hopeful but it turned out to be pretty blooming decent. Good performances from the young actors and the gravitas of a quality actor in Ralph Fiennes with only a small part played by Gervais it hit the mark.

The story was interesting and carried a message and flowed with good structure and several amusing and poignant moments with a backdrop of some great 70's music.

Anyone else seen it and what did you think ?.

I will give it

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I agree, I saw it the other day and really enjoyed it. Some good music, one liners and you really attach yourself to the characters.

Sep 1, 2010
Weird, I watched that this afternoon, didn't like it to be honest found it predictable and nothing better than a tv effort. Have seen better on the small screen in last 6 months

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It was a vast improvement on The Invention of Lying.

Sep 1, 2010
Yet to see The invention of lying(for some reason Love Film do not supply this for hire)?? Looking forward to Harry Brown on sunday though.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Yet to see it, but my student days in Reading have given me a strong affection for the real Cemetery Junction Gervais refers to. Ye Babam Ye kebab anyone?!

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Ye Ba Bam Ye fantastic kebabs. Mr Cod after a few beers at the Granby tavern. Used to live at Cholmely terrace

Went back for the first time in about 15 years this Feb. The Eastgate is now a block of flats!:ohmy: Always had a lock in there.

I also still have the pedestrian wait button from the crossing lights at Cemetary junction in my loft. Bloody students..................:whistle:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I rather enjoyed invention of lying (except when it became a critique of religion - too obvious and simplistic). But then, I am quite fond of Jennifer Garner.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've just sat through The Invention of Lying (its on Sky Premiere). It absolutely REEKED. Utterly woeful. It just doesn't work on any level. Just because people "can't lie", doesn't mean they'd go around simply blurting out EVERYTHING thats on their mind that second, does it. Truley woeful.

What the hell a fine actor like Philip Seymour Hoffman was doing cameoing in this film god only knows. Its actually left me in quite a bad mood.

ryeseagull

Feb 26, 2009
United States
Gervais is from Reading. I used to live near Cemetery Junction when I was at University there. At the time, Gervais was only just becoming famous through his appearances on the 10 o'clock show.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Most of my Reading days (where I did my MA) or more often, nights, revolved around the Purple Turtle. Ahhhhh nostalgia!

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
Rented it this evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. So much better then the crock of shit ghost town. The Invention of lying wasn't great but I think because it starred Gervais I was expecting it to be hilarious and it just didn't live up to my expectations.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I've just sat through The Invention of Lying (its on Sky Premiere). It absolutely REEKED. Utterly woeful. It just doesn't work on any level. Just because people "can't lie", doesn't mean they'd go around simply blurting out EVERYTHING thats on their mind that second, does it. Truley woeful.

What the hell a fine actor like Philip Seymour Hoffman was doing cameoing in this film god only knows. Its actually left me in quite a bad mood.

I turned it off after about 20 mins - terrible

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

So so true. I watched it at the weekend - awful stuff. Gervais is just not suited to films.

I am looking forward to the new series of An Idiot Abroad on Sky 1 though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here