• Italy win after ET

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
A most pleasing result. You do have to hand it to the Italians - they know how to play a game of football. Well done to the Boche, despite the defeat - we can learn from them how to play the game.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Loving the comeuppance for the arrogant Germans. Thoughts [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]?

Why are the Germans arrogant? Because they believed they could win the tournament? They were second favourites you know. It's called belief, and it was genuine in their case...not some crass and dellusional PR guff which a certain close to home football association has previously used.

Thoughts, obviously very diappointed. Germany did not really get to play their game and were tactically naive. The ball over the top to Ballotelli was used repeatedly against England but the Germans did not seem prepared for it. Germany had not been behind in a competitive game for over 2 years, I think this showed a bit as well.

But, theirs is the youngest squad at the tournament and they have some good players coming through e.g. Reus and Schuller plus others and I do believe the future still lies with their current style and personel. The Germans are very good at taking stock of situations, building and charting a way forward and I think they will learn further and go on from here.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why are the Germans arrogant? Because they believed they could win the tournament? They were second favourites you know. Holland were third favourites, your point is? It's called belief, and it was genuine in their case Brilliant - so when Germans do it, it's belief, not arrogance. Quality excusing.

Who'd have thought the German defence would be poorer than England's in this tournament?

Deluded belief is still belief Herr, and in the case of England in tournaments past and Germany in this one, it was deluded.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Great to see Italy win in some style with Balotelli writing the headlkines for the right reasons. Rather surprising to see Germany so easily beaten and so ragged at the end.

It's an indictment of Germany's coach not adequately planning to contain Pirlo and then not having a plan 'B', when plan 'A' did not work. Germany has loads of young decent players but isn't enough without the right tactics.

Those players from Bayern must be pretty hacked off having blown both the Champs Lge final and now the Euros.

Could see Italy spring a surprise on Spain who haven't reached their very best form.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Rather surprising to see Germany so easily beaten and so ragged at the end.

Seems they were overhyped and overconfident. How long til they're referred to as "the Golden Generation"? Guessing they probably already are by some.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I enjoyed the angry faces on the men and weeping women who looked to be watching in shocked disbelief. I mean crying after 20 mins, pathetic and not at all Germanic.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I enjoyed the angry faces on the men and weeping women who looked to be watching in shocked disbelief. I mean crying after 20 mins, pathetic and not at all Germanic.

Yeah. It was really quite an embarrassing night to be German.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who'd have thought the German defence would be poorer than England's in this tournament?

Deluded belief is still belief Herr, and in the case of England in tournaments past and Germany in this one, it was deluded.

My point is, Germany were second favourites due to their pedigree at tournaments (13 fiinals, 3 world cups and 3 euros), their 100% qualification record and the run which became a world record run of consecutive competitive international victories during the tournament itself. They also navigated the so-called group of death perfectly. Now, personally, I would see this a good reason to believe that Germany might do well which I know the nation did as well. They felt they had a genuine chance of winning the tournament. This is not arrogance, it is genuine reason. Likewise when I look at Spain's record I had a feeling they might do well in this tournament. So, when I state they were second favourite.....this is my point. Can I ask, what is your point?

And as for the German defence, sadly they only had 4 defenders against Italy. If they used 11, and had Ballotelli been as profligate as he was against Terry and co, it would have been very different. I can see what you are trying to do here but, all things considered, I think you would have prefered it if England had gone out at in the semis having given the Italians a game of football as opposed to the quarters having given such an abject display: Pirlo made more passes than the entire England midfield, and best of all....the player who completed the most passes was Joe Hart. I think we know who is going to laugh last and the loudest here.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Why are the Germans arrogant? Because they believed they could win the tournament? They were second favourites you know. It's called belief, and it was genuine in their case...not some crass and dellusional PR guff which a certain close to home football association has previously used.

Thoughts, obviously very diappointed. Germany did not really get to play their game and were tactically naive. The ball over the top to Ballotelli was used repeatedly against England but the Germans did not seem prepared for it. Germany had not been behind in a competitive game for over 2 years, I think this showed a bit as well.

But, theirs is the youngest squad at the tournament and they have some good players coming through e.g. Reus and Schuller plus others and I do believe the future still lies with their current style and personel. The Germans are very good at taking stock of situations, building and charting a way forward and I think they will learn further and go on from here.
oh dear , oh dear, oh dear!! Not the first time a trip to poland ends in disappointment for the germans is it :lolol:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
My point is, Germany were second favourites due to their pedigree at tournaments (13 fiinals, 3 world cups and 3 euros), their 100% qualification record and the run which became a world record run of consecutive competitive international victories during the tournament itself. They also navigated the so-called group of death perfectly. Now, personally, I would see this a good reason to believe that Germany might do well which I know the nation did as well. They felt they had a genuine chance of winning the tournament. This is not arrogance, it is genuine reason. Likewise when I look at Spain's record I had a feeling they might do well in this tournament. So, when I state they were second favourite.....this is my point. Can I ask, what is your point?

And as for the German defence, sadly they only had 4 defenders against Italy. If they used 11, and had Ballotelli been as profligate as he was against Terry and co, it would have been very different. I can see what you are trying to do here but, all things considered, I think you would have prefered it if England had gone out at in the semis having given the Italians a game of football as opposed to the quarters having given such an abject display: Pirlo made more passes than the entire England midfield, and best of all....the player who completed the most passes was Joe Hart. I think we know who is going to laugh last and the loudest here.
Not been a great year in european competition for the bayern munich and german teams has it ??

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems they were overhyped and overconfident. How long til they're referred to as "the Golden Generation"? Guessing they probably already are by some.

Mellontron, gloating is best done from a position of strength. Otherwise you look envious.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You can all f*** off.

:smile:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not been a great year in european competition for the bayern munich and german teams has it ??

Alright, alright. Make the most of this moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
All I need for the full set is my chum [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] to remind me when I told him a couple of months ago that we were about to enter a golden period of German football.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
All I need for the full set is my chum [MENTION=12187]Uter[/MENTION] to remind me when I told him a couple of months ago that we were about to enter a golden period of German football.

What, like a golden generation? Where have I heard that before?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here