Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] German football coach condemns 'racist' TV survey

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I didn't like John Barnes playing for England, because he is Jamaican by birth, but given he came here as a 12 year old, a bit of a grey area. Didn't like Lamb and Pieterson playing Cricket for England more, or Zola Bud running as a GB athlete.
Should be more Gingers in the Scotland squad though.
100% just can't take it seriously, like the Vinupolas playing rugby for England, Jofra Archer in cricket, Gladstone Small etc. And as for Spaniard Robert Sanchez for England, it's just laughable.

Different argument though, obviously.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
100% just can't take it seriously, like the Vinupolas playing rugby for England, Jofra Archer in cricket, Gladstone Small etc. And as for Spaniard Robert Sanchez for England, it's just laughable.

Different argument though, obviously.

So you think Ben Stokes shouldn't play for England either? Jofra is more 'English' than he is by your metric

May 28, 2024
The overwhelming majority in the survey weren't bothered by skin colour. Will be great if we get to a point where skin colour isn't discussed and we all concentrate on the person and their individual qualities.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
If it is pointless then why do most of our 31,000 crowd applaud it every home game? I think it is because most fans are not racist and wish for football to be that way too.
This. Obviously there are more substantive steps which could be taken, and groups like Kick It Out hardly pretend taking the knee is all there is to anti-racism in football. But for all the controversy around it it's low-hanging fruit compared to initiatives which need to be resourced by the clubs and other stakeholders.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
So you think Ben Stokes shouldn't play for England either? Jofra is more 'English' than he is by your metric
The residency thing is the issue for me, it often robs smaller nations of talent - John Barnes, the Carribbean cricketers who have represented England etc. It's a debate that never goes anywhere, I just can't relate to it, I mean Sanchez for England is just absurd.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They are quite different arguments, really.

Jofra's Dad is English. He's certainly more English by birth than Stokes.

However Stokes moved to England as a young child, and England can reasonably take the credit for all of his cricket development. In such cases, I'm completely comfortable with England capping the player. John Barnes is the exact same situation.

Jofra though, moved to England at the age of 19 or 20, already well on his way to becoming a first class cricketer. I'm less comfortable with situations like that, when it feels we are rather taking advantage of another nation's groundwork. Not that you could make any hard or fast rule -who would I / you / anyone be, to dictate to somebody what nation they feel they should represent?

With some, however, there is no ambiguity in my mind. Pietersen was / is / always will be a Saffer, wearing a badge of convenience for the money and glory.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Taking the knee is pointless, it's gaslighting activism that achieves nothing, and has a more negative effect on the war against racism. Players checking their watches and a few seconds of bending the knee is so pointless. There are far better ways to deal with racism in football and outside football.

Players wear watches when playing football?

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
The residency thing is the issue for me, it often robs smaller nations of talent - John Barnes, the Carribbean cricketers who have represented England etc. It's a debate that never goes anywhere, I just can't relate to it, I mean Sanchez for England is just absurd.

They are quite different arguments, really.

Jofra's Dad is English. He's certainly more English by birth than Stokes.

However Stokes moved to England as a young child, and England can reasonably take the credit for all of his cricket development. In such cases, I'm completely comfortable with England capping the player. John Barnes is the exact same situation.

Jofra though, moved to England at the age of 19 or 20, already well on his way to becoming a first class cricketer. I'm less comfortable with situations like that, when it feels we are rather taking advantage of another nation's groundwork. Not that you could make any hard or fast rule -who would I / you / anyone be, to dictate to somebody what nation they feel they should represent?

With some, however, there is no ambiguity in my mind. Pietersen was / is / always will be a Saffer, wearing a badge of convenience for the money and glory.

I think Jofra's case in particular is interesting as he claims to always have wanted to play for England despite being in WI youth set ups. Obviously there is a financial incentive to play for England over the Windies, and the pitches here far better suit his game.

It's a shame for West Indian cricket but ultimately I don't think you can argue against the fact that Jofra is as English as he is Bajan so I'm just not on board with any criticism of his decision to play for England.

Completely agree re: KP etc..

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It often half-hearted clapping, it's pointless.
Speak for yourself, but for me I clap in a committed way. 10 seconds of clapping every 2 weeks in a stadium full of people requires virtually no effort but shows in the UK we are anti-racist in a world where racism is everywhere.

These matches are beamed live around the world so hopefully the positive anti-racist message will be seen and rub off.

May 28, 2024
Speak for yourself, but for me I clap in a committed way. 10 seconds of clapping every 2 weeks in a stadium full of people requires virtually no effort but shows in the UK we are anti-racist in a world where racism is everywhere.

These matches are beamed live around the world so hopefully the positive anti-racist message will be seen and rub off.
I respectfully disagree. I've never agreed with it and never applauded it. Taking the knee doesn't prove anything. You can't prove a negative. I maintain that rascists are idiots and there will always be percentage of nasty people hiding online. Anyone found guilty of an offence should be punished via the law of the land. In the meantime let's focus on what we share in common as opposed to what's different.
Focus on the person. The good and the not so good.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
A strange survey to come out of an advanced country like Germany. I would say Soth African Cricket team has had a policy of insisting so many black players are selected for years.
I've very recently met a young white newly wed South African couple and they said they and all other whites are being driven out of the country they love...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here