Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Boyd for Brighton?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
'Post subject: Departing Players - Threads Merged
Posted: Yesterday, 19:52

mwl wrote:
Just started hearing rumours about George Boyd heading to Brighton!!!

:evil:
Just heard that as well. Scary stuff

Just picked this up from the Posh Fans Forum. Possible, or just a pre Harley rumour reactivated.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Would be interesting - I'm a huge Boyd fan and Saturday's performance only made me more of a fan. However would he come here with our current set up player-wise? When you think of the players we have got in midfield, would Boyd fit in? Also with all these midfielders, is someone on their way out of the club?

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Do we need him? Our midfield is sorted now we've signed Harley... Wouldn't turn him down but someone would end up barely playing if we get him. Sparrow? I can't see it.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Do we need him? Our midfield is sorted now we've signed Harley... Wouldn't turn him down but someone would end up barely playing if we get him. Sparrow? I can't see it.

Can't see it happening, but surely it would be Ashley Barnes dipping out?

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham

Couldn`t agree more.
Good player but do we really need another winger/attacking midfielder?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Couldn`t agree more.
Good player but do we really need another winger/attacking midfielder?

the more options the merrier imho, injuries, suspensions and dips in form ....... lets face it, who would have though Noone would keep Kaz on the bench 3 months ago.

Keeping them all happy is the problem

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He does however, represent a different option and ithat is very much the criteria Gus looks for. At 6' 2'' he certainly wouuld addd some presence.

Won't come cheap though.

Boyd and Maynard please!

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Well, I'd be happy with Boyd. England seems to be being left behind in world football these days because of our good old fashioned Centre forward policy. Meanwhile Barcelona and the rest of the world have moved on to tricky little forwards and midfielders playing it right through the opposition defence. Maybe Gus sees the future of football clearer than most.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Although a favorite up here he is famous for completely getting lost for months at a time. So much is expected of him he only has to play well one game and the other 3 dross performances are put to bed.
He would be expensive, gets really moody, and there are better players available without the expectation. If I were Gus I would leave well alone.

PS: Whoever changed the message, I have never been so happy than to be a JCL:thumbsup:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Boyd is a great talent but very much an individual you: almost need to build a team around him. I'm not sure he'd suit us at all tbh and I think his 'individualism' is probably the reason he's not been snapped up before and by bigger teams than us.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
really dont see the need for another player of this type, nice to have but we need other positions filled/coverd first.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Can't see it happening, but surely it would be Ashley Barnes dipping out?

I guess it depends what formation we play but I see Boyd in much the same role as Elliot Bennety played for us (winger or attacking midfielder). Harley has filled the attacking midfield gap, Buckley can play both, and KLL and Noone are fighting it out on the left wing. I'd say Boyd plays in the 2 positions we are strongest in (squad depth-wise).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If and it is if Boyd came here I would see him in an attacking midfield especially at home of Buckley/Noone Harley Boyd with Bridcutt behind them as the holding/defensive midfielder and Hoskins up front with CMS and Barnes on the bench. With Lua Lua again as a sub to bring on against tiring defenders. Away from home it would probably be more defensive with one of the the 3 being replaced by Dicker or Navarro.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
He wouldn't be cheap though, and I'd say if Gus is looking to splash cash then it's on this striker hes been talking about.

Would seem silly to spend a lot of money on a player who plays in a position we're quite comfortable for at the moment

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Boyd would fit in with the style Gus has played most of the season with 1 up from and 2 just behind slightly wide.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Boyd is a great talent but very much an individual you: almost need to build a team around him. I'm not sure he'd suit us at all tbh and I think his 'individualism' is probably the reason he's not been snapped up before and by bigger teams than us.
Agree with that. I think we'd have to adapt the way WE play to fit him in - Gus has always talked about bringing in the right players to suit OUR system. Plus, WHERE would he fit in? We have so much quality on that left side as it is.. with Noone & Kaz battling it out for that spot, and Hoskins (once he's back) often plays as a sort of wing-forward, cutting in off that left wing. In the central attacking mid role we have Harley who will nail down that spot (vital for set-pieces), and Buckley who I think Gus will mould into a versatile attacking player like Bennett.

Boyd is a cracking player, but it just doesn't feel like the sort of player Gus would go for, or that we need at this moment in time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here