Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Geoff Horsfield

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
From the Argus - 'McGhee also revealed that Albion yesterday failed in an audacious attempt to sign experienced Sheffield Utd striker Geoff Horsfield.'

Did he seriously expect Horsfield to come down here when we can't even tempt fatty Shipperley down.:rolleyes:
He's lost the plot

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Audacious attempt sounds something like DK pretending to be Gaydamark and telling Horsfield that he is signing for Pompey, only to become the wicked uncle after he has put pen to paper and tell him that really he has joined the Albion.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Gully said:
Audacious attempt sounds something like DK pretending to be Gaydamark and telling Horsfield that he is signing for Pompey, only to become the wicked uncle after he has put pen to paper and tell him that really he has joined the Albion.

That is audacious! The fiend!

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
He can go on the list of 793 players we've tried and failed to get then :rolleyes:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Just for once I'd like to stick up for McGhee here.

If he tries to sign players like Horsfield, you have a go at him for losing the plot.

Yet if he didn't, you'd all be whinging about lack of ambition and the fact that we've made no signings.

FFS guys, maybe we didn't have much of a chance, but I for one would rather McGhee at least made the effort.

If it was a top Premiership player, fair enough, but to have a go at him for enquiring about the likes of Geoff Horsfield is, frankly, Hors-Shit on your part guys, and decidedly unfair.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
edna krabappel said:

If he tries to sign players like Horsfield, you have a go at him for losing the plot.

Yet if he didn't, you'd all be whinging about lack of ambition and the fact that we've made no signings.

FFS guys, maybe we didn't have much of a chance, but I for one would rather McGhee at least made the effort.

If it was a top Premiership player, fair enough, but to have a go at him for enquiring about the likes of Geoff Horsfield is, frankly, Hors-Shit on your part guys, and decidedly unfair.

fuuuuucking hell, AT LAST! :clap:

drives me f***ing nuts that most people on here have written us off already and every c*nt moans no matter who we try and sign......and also moans if we turn down a trialsit cos they are no better than we already have.

persoanlly, i'm well looking forward to the season now and hopefully there will be more positive vibes coming from the away end at milmoor than on the pages of this site of late.

:)

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Well it is fairly common knowledge that Coventry want him, so in this case it seems not even worth a phone call.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Silent Bob said:
Well it is fairly common knowledge that Coventry want him, so in this case it seems not even worth a phone call.

Brilliant, well I tell you what. Let's not bother trying to sign anyone then, shall we, in case they have other clubs after them?

We won't get anybody at all if we don't so much as try.

If you're that concerned, perhaps you could donate an extra 10p on top of your season ticket price, to cover the cost of that "wasted" phone call...

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
edna krabappel said:

Yeah but it's getting very boring keep reading about who we've failed to sign! I want to read about who we are signing! And anyway in McGhee's own words "it turned out to be a ridiculous phone call" he made about about Horsfield.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
edna krabappel said:
Brilliant, well I tell you what. Let's not bother trying to sign anyone then, shall we, in case they have other clubs after them?
Yes, that's clearly what I said. :rolleyes:

There's not much point enquiring about a striker who has played most of the last couple of seasons in the Premiership and the last seven or so years at clubs going for promotion to the Premiership, who is known to be in advanced talks with another club trying to get into the Premiership who, it goes without saying, are much bigger and richer than us. :shrug:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Silent Bob said:
not much point enquiring about a striker who has played most of the last couple of seasons in the Premiership and the last seven or so years at clubs going for promotion to the Premiership, who is known to be in advanced talks with another club trying to get into the Premiership

Just another publicity stunt. I still want to know why we were so keen on Tom brighton in january we were prepared to bid 100k for a player we considered good enough to play in the Championship? Then in the summer we lose interest in him & he walks into millwall on a free?. It's all bullshit and publicity.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The only point I'm trying to make here is that McGhee is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, in the eyes of too many people on here.

We'd all like more players, but until we have a ground that looks a little less like a Conference training ground, and with a capacity to sustain wages above the current level, we ain't gonna be first on most players' lists.

It sucks, but it's life, get over it. Welcome to reality.

But there are a plenty of reasons why someone like Horsfield occasionally might not want to go to the likes of Coventry. Maybe they're not offering huge wages. Maybe they want him as back up to McSheffrey. Maybe they won't pay his agent enough, or he gets a bad feeling about the place. Maybe he doubts Adams's tactics for next season, or maybe his wife just doesn't like the shops in Coventry city centre and fancies a weekly trip around the Lanes instead. Or the Whitgift Centre, or Bluewater...

So I say why not ask, what have we lost by that? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I seriously thought he was joking - there's no way that horsfield would want to drop down 2 leagues to play for us in our shitty stadium.

I'd love it if he did come down, but clubs like us have to be realistic at the moment - and the fact is at the moment we are a club with no stadium, no money, and a manager who will now have a pretty big reputation as someone who falls out with at least one of the biggest players every year. Alright, the stadium will come eventually, but if it's even on time that's another 4 years down the line, a long time in a footballer's career. Footballer's wont want to come down to us because of those reasons - harsh, but true

Blimey im a bit pessimistic this evening aren't i!!!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
edna krabappel said:
The only point I'm trying to make here is that McGhee is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, in the eyes of too many people on here.

We'd all like more players, but until we have a ground that looks a little less like a Conference training ground, and with a capacity to sustain wages above the current level, we ain't gonna be first on most players' lists.

It sucks, but it's life, get over it. Welcome to reality.

But there are a plenty of reasons why someone like Horsfield occasionally might not want to go to the likes of Coventry. Maybe they're not offering huge wages. Maybe they want him as back up to McSheffrey. Maybe they won't pay his agent enough, or he gets a bad feeling about the place. Maybe he doubts Adams's tactics for next season, or maybe his wife just doesn't like the shops in Coventry city centre and fancies a weekly trip around the Lanes instead. Or the Whitgift Centre, or Bluewater...

So I say why not ask, what have we lost by that? Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Fair point. It just seems that there are a whole load of players McGhee seems to ignore, going only for old players who were good players, non leaguers, and frenchies from an agent.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't know where you went to school, Silent Bob.

But in deepest Mid Sussex, getting "Frenchies from an agent" means something entirely different ;) :lolol:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
edna krabappel said:

Yeah but come on edna for a bloke who came close to losing his job in the summer he's not exactly covering himself in glory is he? It's still the same old stories, same old lines, same old excuses and same old confusion.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
British Bulldog said:
Yeah but come on edna for a bloke who came close to losing his job in the summer he's not exactly covering himself in glory is he? It's still the same old stories, same old lines, same old excuses and same old confusion.

I know what you're saying, but short of chaining players to the back of his BMW and towing them back to Withdean, I'm not sure what else he can do, with the funds we have available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here