Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Genuine Question....

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
maybe he is saying class and race are interlinked in S.Africa - there is also the cultural aspect as opposed to race, in the same way that there are differences between people who play Rugby league and Rugby union

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I saw an England vs South Africa amateur intermational at Loakes Park High Wycombe in either the late 50s or early 60s, and the South African team was all white. I've tried to look up the date and result of this match on t'internet but I can't find records for amateur internationals, can anyone help please?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
maybe he is saying class and race are interlinked in S.Africa - there is also the cultural aspect as opposed to race, in the same way that there are differences between people who play Rugby league and Rugby union

Class and race were interlinked but not so much anymore. The point about access to facilities is the key though, as it is anywhere. A person (whatever colour) who goes to a private school has more access to sporting facilities than someone who goes to a rural farm school for example. That is the same worldwide - using your example, a kid who goes to a school that only plays Rugby League or only has local teams that play Rugby League, isn't likely to become a Rugby Union player.

Things are changing here but they are not going to change overnight. If someone gets offered a contract to play either professional cricket/rugby or professional football, I am not so naive to think that an element of historical racial stereotyping would not form a part of their decision of which sport to choose.

IKDRF

May 1, 2009
Class and race were interlinked but not so much anymore. The point about access to facilities is the key though, as it is anywhere. A person (whatever colour) who goes to a private school has more access to sporting facilities than someone who goes to a rural farm school for example. That is the same worldwide - using your example, a kid who goes to a school that only plays Rugby League or only has local teams that play Rugby League, isn't likely to become a Rugby Union player.

Things are changing here but they are not going to change overnight. If someone gets offered a contract to play either professional cricket/rugby or professional football, I am not so naive to think that an element of historical racial stereotyping would not form a part of their decision of which sport to choose.

I understand that sport is compulsory amongst south african kids and they have to choose. i follow cricket and rugby union and south africa is just a production line now. this explains why they come to england and switch allegiance. great players would be lost. it was two south africans who won us the 20/20. im not sure i agree with it but i fully understand why some do it. the fact is south africa is just to good at the old colonial sporting disciplines. i sense it may be a while before football catches up.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I understand that sport is compulsory amongst south african kids and they have to choose. i follow cricket and rugby union and south africa is just a production line now. this explains why they come to england and switch allegiance. great players would be lost. it was two south africans who won us the 20/20. im not sure i agree with it but i fully understand why some do it. the fact is south africa is just to good at the old colonial sporting disciplines. i sense it may be a while before football catches up.

It depends where they go to school. Certainly at the private schools and the better supported government schools, sport is compulsory. At primary school (up to age 13) they play soccer, rugby, cricket and hockey. At high school they do still play soccer, but only for 1 term, whereas they play cricket and rugby for 2 terms. But at the less better supported schools they will only play what they can, when they can.

The reason they come over to England is partially due to quotas but also money and lack of opportunity. KP went over to England he says because of quotas, but it was really because he was not very good - I have seen several debates on how he was missed by the province (Kwazulu-Natal), but they said they looked at him but at the time he was an average off spinner who could not bat. Money wise, fringe players who probably will not get a look in for the Springboks for example, will earn a lot more in the UK than they will here. Plus there are far more professional teams in the UK - SA only has 6 top level cricket sides and 14 domestic Rugby teams, only 5 of which play top level rugby (Super 14).

As for quotas, they have not really worked as quickly as they would like as the powers that be have not invested in sport development in poorer areas and are still relying on the private school system. Which is why I say that things will change slowly over time in cricket and rugby as more and more black people go to private school.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
KP went over to England he says because of quotas, but it was really because he was not very good - I have seen several debates on how he was missed by the province (Kwazulu-Natal), but they said they looked at him but at the time he was an average off spinner who could not bat. /QUOTE]

I've always thought the story of him missing out because of quotas was bollocks. Pietersen would walk into any SA side (and the test side) - let's not forget these sides are still overwhelmingly white.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here