• Gloss

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • Dross

Votes: 16 35.6%

• Total voters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've had this tune stuck in my head all day for no reason whatsoever and it's gone from being 'bland 80s MOR' to 'Actually, it's a pretty decent tune all in all' and Phil Collins nails it with his voice. It's not my usual bag when it comes to music. Am I losing the plot? Am I turning into Debenhams Man or have I just been a bit crap at appreciating a good song all these years?

[yt]9Tj1L62bQz8[/yt]

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
great song, but then I'm a big Genesis fan (1970-1980 anyway).

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
You've seen the light. Collins is not the musical spawn of the devil as he is portrayed by the UK media.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Plot well and truely intact

[yt]v1aBgFz6Wq0[/yt]

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
There's a few things Collins has done that I've loved but I think it's Genesis that I've always seen as a bit bland. Perhaps Rutherford was to blame. That Mike and The Mechanics song is an awful thing. Truly, truly awful. The worst excesses of Dad Rock that I can imagine.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
There are a few Collins-era Genesis songs that I'd class as guilty pleasures, but this isn't one.

I like a bit of this though...

[yt]p_EYU75uhKk[/yt]

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Nah - it's great. And it wasn't the 80's it was 1978.

Genesis had their best years in the early 70's as a Prog Rock Band (far from Dad Rock) - but Follow You Follow Me was a big commercial success for them.

Still got the original LP somewhere, so am on my way to dig out the Afghan Coat, and give it a spin maan.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Genesis were a lot better than people actually think if you listen to their old tracks.

Trouble was Collins spawned his life to the tabloids which got him his reputation, divorcing someone by fax was pretty pathetic.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
With Gabriel - class English storytelling of Alice in Wonderland meets Dickens level.

Without - weedy and vomit-inducing David Dundas, Chris DeBurgh de beeeuuurghhh :sick:

Makes me wonder whatever happened to Bread, wossname Loggins Art Garfunkel and Charles Aznovoice.
Actually, Bread were heavy metal compared to Follow you/me.

Dandyman

In London village.
Genesis are and always will be utter shite. Go and have a lie down and put on some proper chill out tunes.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Genesis are and always will be utter shite. Go and have a lie down and put on some proper chill out tunes.

Yeah,lets all listen to you and agree shall we.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Dull torycentric bollocks

Hardly. Selling England By the Pound was not exactly a ringing endorsement of Thatcherism.

Anyway, I'm not sure if eternal blandness is setting root in me or not but proof (I hope) that I can still spot a good tune - here's one hot off the presses from a fantastic Brighton band, the Foxes:

[yt]z2HTVyln5FI[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here