Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Shameless self promotion of my book...

Krung Thep, A Street Portrait published by ADM Publishing with delivery starting late November. A collection of 74 images taken over several weeks in early 2014 throughout central Bangkok against a backdrop of political unrest.

170gsm silk paper
First edition run of 200 copies
80 pages/74 images
Published: November 2021
Signed Giclée available limited to 100 copies
£17.50/£25 + p&p

thanks -

https://www.artdecomagpie.com/product/krung-thep-a-street-portrait-by-stewart-weir

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments

• Amethyst Deceiver NSC.JPG
    Amethyst Deceiver NSC.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 126

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
attachment.php

Spanish Imperial Eagle from a couple of weeks ago. Don't normally do black and white shots so would appreciate thoughts.
Great photo. I love black and white photos, but personally, I prefer to see nature photos in colour. Imagine watching a David Attenborough programme in black and white. Wait a minute - when I was little, I did!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
attachment.php

Spanish Imperial Eagle from a couple of weeks ago. Don't normally do black and white shots so would appreciate thoughts.

With Jack on this, I prefer colour for nature photos though there are some exceptions - I did some of some flowers where I wanted to focus on the structure rather than the colour and i think that it worked. With something like an eagle maybe if it were in caught in flight it would work. All personal opinions and I am very jealous that you were able to take this picture.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
attachment.php

Coloured version for comparison

that's quite interesting as that image almost looks like a sepia/monochrome image. Not sure if that was how you took it or whether you 'developed' it to look like that.

I took the liberty to download it just to play a bit in LR - boosted the shadows and lightened the eye a bit , added some CLARITY and tried to add more yellow. I guess its all a matter of personal opinion...

bird-2.JPG

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
that's quite interesting as that image almost looks like a sepia/monochrome image. Not sure if that was how you took it or whether you 'developed' it to look like that.

I took the liberty to download it just to play a bit in LR - boosted the shadows and lightened the eye a bit , added some CLARITY and tried to add more yellow. I guess its all a matter of personal opinion...

View attachment 142111

Nice. I like it. Didn’t process the coloured one much at all as I’ve got 4000+ pic from Spain to go through!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've had a 14 - 24mm lens for nearly six years and have never really given it a good go. I've decided that I must use it a lot more. I went to the West Pier yesterday as the sunset looked promissing.
I've read a lot on how to use this lens as it's a bit tricky to get decent results, depending on what's in your frame. It is one up from a fish-eye lens, so you get lots of distortion.
What I learnt yesterday is that you can't get level sea, an undistorted West Pier and a vertical i360 in the same shot! Here's a couple I was disappointed with! (I'll keep at it!!).

Attachments

• WP NSC.JPG
    WP NSC.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 106
  • WP8 NSC.JPG
    WP8 NSC.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 99

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've had a 14 - 24mm lens for nearly six years and have never really given it a good go. I've decided that I must use it a lot more. I went to the West Pier yesterday as the sunset looked promissing.
I've read a lot on how to use this lens as it's a bit tricky to get decent results, depending on what's in your frame. It is one up from a fish-eye lens, so you get lots of distortion.
What I learnt yesterday is that you can't get level sea, an undistorted West Pier and a vertical i360 in the same shot! Here's a couple I was disappointed with! (I'll keep at it!!).

The second shot still has appeal imho…..the first it’s a difficult to have any love for with Brighton’s version of the Leaning Tower of P
:)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I had a wide angle lens for ages. Kept trying to use it, kept being disappointed (or underwhelmed I suppose is more accurate) - so sold it on earlier this year to help pay for a big old f2.8 Minolta 80-200mm lens. The complete opposite in all ways!

Good for skies though.
View attachment Wide Angled Bay 03 - resized.jpg
[Grange-over-Sands Promenade - see post #2661]

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

Blimey, that is a lot of distortion. Is that 14mm full frame?

The secret is to keep key objects (like the 360) away from the edge of the frame, but not easy when you want to include multiple elements.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Same spot from one angle…

b7e98b04507bd35f615c08c839155371.jpg

And from another…

48fe71ae4072d9dcdd92f268f1f8358a.jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Blimey, that is a lot of distortion. Is that 14mm full frame?

The secret is to keep key objects (like the 360) away from the edge of the frame, but not easy when you want to include multiple elements.

Yes. I've got a jist of what you need to do and what you shouldn't do with this lens, but it's not easy. I learnt a lot of lessons yesterday.
The lens has sentimental value so I'm determined to get the hang of it. I'll do some more reading up and get some more practice and post any progress here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here