Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Photography thread

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
20210519_173904.jpg

My dad has just sent me this image, its an old photo.
Anyone know where this is?
FTR, I do know :)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000wfcy
BBC Four - Great British Photography Challenge

Did you watch it? Very good I thought, although would like to have seen more time spent on some aspects. Like - how did they prepare for the celebrity-shoot, as they can't just have picked that up in 15 minutes, and so on. I don't think I would have coped with the combination of meeting Anna Friel, and having to concentrate on taking photos - all mine would have been out of focus I think.

Nice to see that it's not going to be one of these competitive things where people get sent home every week, but a generally collaborative process.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Did you watch it? Very good I thought, although would like to have seen more time spent on some aspects. Like - how did they prepare for the celebrity-shoot, as they can't just have picked that up in 15 minutes, and so on. I don't think I would have coped with the combination of meeting Anna Friel, and having to concentrate on taking photos - all mine would have been out of focus I think.

Nice to see that it's not going to be one of these competitive things where people get sent home every week, but a generally collaborative process.

Great insight into the photography world.
Anna Friel very nice, I suspect a bit of a diva :lolol::drool:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Watched a hedgehog from quarter to 6 this morning for one and a half hours. She diligently built her nest, using bamboo leaves gathered from 20 feet away from its location. Amazing creatures.2021_0602_06422700~3-1.jpg

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Watched a hedgehog from quarter to 6 this morning for one and a half hours. She diligently built her nest, using bamboo leaves gathered from 20 feet away from its location. Amazing creatures.View attachment 137293

No way is that a hedgehog. Its a porcupine before it has got dressed.

Great photo

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments

• BFT NSC.JPG
    BFT NSC.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 100
  • But NSC.JPG
    But NSC.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 100

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Bought myself a new lens recently (well, new to me - it's a 30+ year old Minolta), and have been quite impressed with it. Took it to Cartmel Races this weekend.

_DSC7131.jpg

Horses (10).jpg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Bought myself a new lens recently (well, new to me - it's a 30+ year old Minolta), and have been quite impressed with it. Took it to Cartmel Races this weekend.

View attachment 137298

View attachment 137299

Nice photos. What is your lens, and what settings was the camera set too? I'm going to try a few sports action-shots one of these days.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Nice photos. What is your lens, and what settings was the camera set too? I'm going to try a few sports action-shots one of these days.

Thanks Jack. It's a Minolta 80-200 on a Sony A77ii at 120mm. Settings were 1/1250@f6.3, 200ISO, with 'wide' focal area to capture the leading horse. The focus was important - I tried centre-point focus first as that's what I'm used to, and it missed the leading horse most times - but for football you can more often get away with centre-point and tracking.

I found the most critical thing was to fix the shutter speed, and then maybe aperture - and let ISO do what it wanted. These horses are so quick, anything under 1250 ended up a bit blurry. With the the sun as it was, and speed fixed, I was pleased at how few duff shots there were.

Happy boy.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

View attachment 137298

View attachment 137299

As someone who has worked in the gambling industry for 28 years I am used to seeing a lot of racing images. Very well done on your excellent photos. I hope you popped into Cartmel to try the sticky toffee pudding? :drool:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
As someone who has worked in the gambling industry for 28 years I am used to seeing a lot of racing images. Very well done on your excellent photos. I hope you popped into Cartmel to try the sticky toffee pudding? :drool:

Very kind of you - many thanks, much appreciated.

Yes, Sticky Toffee Pudding. I bought some a while back from the shop in Cartmel to send to my sister in Bexhill as a special treat from Cumbria - only to find that she buys it up the road in Waitrose! Cartmel is tiny, and is ridiculously busy during race-days, even with the current reduced capacity - but it's only a two mile ride over the hill for me, and I pass the front-door of the shop regularly cycling over the fell on my way to work. So, we are amply stocked with pudding, but more importantly - also the sauce on it's own, which, warmed and poured over Lakes Double Jersey ice cream, is just one of the best things you can have!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here