Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2015

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Obviously, alcohol is a biggie (which is why so many health bodies want a stiffer tax)

Alcohol duty raises £14.6Bn ( i think this includes VAT). the cost seems to be £2.8Bn, so its paying its way. we dont want more sin taxes, they dont address the problems, just raise revenue, and recently it seems the theme is that sugar and even fat aren't nearly as bad for you as made out. education on not eating too much and doing some basic exercise is defiantly the answer here. we are greedy and lazy in the first world.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This is interesting: the Guardian and the Telegraph teaming up for an online debate with all five main parties (including Greens) and, surprise, surprise, it's the Labour party who seem to be hesitating. Who's the coward now?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...ited-digital-debate-general-election-30-march

The Tories have handled this really well, pressure is all on Labour on this

To be fair, nowhere in that article does it say Labour aren't considering taking part.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is interesting: the Guardian and the Telegraph teaming up for an online debate with all five main parties (including Greens) and, surprise, surprise, it's the Labour party who seem to be hesitating. Who's the coward now?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...ited-digital-debate-general-election-30-march

Exactly where does it say Labour haven't accepted or aren't seriously considering accepting, especially when there is no indication that CMD has accepted the invitation!

Stumpy Tim

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
How on earth have you read that Labour are hesitating from that article?

A Labour spokesperson said: “This is an interesting idea and we expect many more proposals to be made by digital platforms in the weeks to come. But to be absolutely clear: none of these should or can be a substitute for live TV debates"

I didn't say they wouldn't do it but that's not exactly a firm commitment. If you're asked a question and don't give an immediate answer, then that's hesitating.

I note the Tories go a stage further and say that Labour will decline: we'll see

Stumpy Tim

A Labour spokesperson said: “This is an interesting idea and we expect many more proposals to be made by digital platforms in the weeks to come. But to be absolutely clear: none of these should or can be a substitute for live TV debates"

I didn't say they wouldn't do it but that's not exactly a firm commitment. If you're asked a question and don't give an immediate answer, then that's hesitating.

I note the Tories go a stage further and say that Labour will decline: we'll see
It isn't a substitute... They're right.

I'm not voting Labour so am not going to defend them against deserved criticism, but you've just invented criticism from nowhere with that

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Ever considered working for The Sun?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

But the Tories haven't made a firm commitment either, nor the Lib Dems and UKIP were the most negative about it but you didn't mention any of them.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

comments:

"Can't wait to see Dave Cameron sweat as Ed Miliband eats him alive."

:laugh:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
The crisis in the NHS and the NHS overall is going to be the undoing of Cameron and cost him this election.

In effect this may mean that his loses it, rather than Milliband win it. A bit like last time; Cameron didnt win it; Brown lost it.

The Tories themselves admit that what they have inflicted on themselves is their worst mistake, and so it has been proved.

To me it speaks volumes that Cameron sacked the man (Lansley) that was responsible for coming up with the monumental flip up (reforms), but does not mention the lark that was responsible for implementing the ideas of a halfwit; himself. Furthermore; after sacking Lansley he promoted a bloke that really should have been sacked, or possibly the subject of a criminal investigation over his Sky antics.

All so unavoidable if the man truly was 'born to lead', instead of clearly being thick and lazy.

He really is lucky that he's not up against a better opposition leader because if he was his own party wouldve sacked him by now because they would know he has no chance. As it is he might at least make it into the ring. If he were up against a Johnson (A) or a Burnham; he wouldnt even bother leaving the dressing room.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Thats the true test of running a country after all isnt it; the ability of eating a bacon sandwich whilst people are taking a photo of you?

Calm down, it was a throw away flippant comment not a serious political analysis.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Labour, Tories, Liberals, its all a bit 1980's isnt it? Politics is more complex than that now, perhaps as a result of the contempt,they have shown the public over the years. Bring on proportional representation and get some reality into this

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Thats the true test of running a country after all isnt it; the ability of eating a bacon sandwich whilst people are taking a photo of you?

You cannot eat a bacon sandwich expertly if you know the photo will be on the front page of the Jewish Chronicle the following day :wink:

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
This A&E debate really needs to take into account the cost to the taxpayer of alcohol abuse. I don't know the veracity of these figures but Alcohol Concern published these figures late last year:

A new map of alcohol harm published today has shown that the total number of alcohol-related NHS admissions, including inpatient, outpatient and A&E visits, hit almost 10 million in England during 2012-13.
The findings, taken from Alcohol Concern’s newly updated Alcohol Harm Map, show that whilst A&E admissions accounted for 6 in every 10 alcohol-related hospital visits, inpatient admissions were responsible for almost two thirds of the total cost burden.
https://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk/n...-related-admissions-england-nears-10-million/

There were 21 million visits to A&E in total so that means nearly a third of ALL A&E visits are alcohol-related. That there is a massive part of the problem and no amount of party politics is going to solve the problems of the NHS without addressing this massive issue.
It also needs to take into account the PFI scandal. This was seized upon by Brown and Blair. When they got into power in 97 they looked as if they were pouring money into Hospitals but in reality all they were doing was leaving a bloody huge deficit that was going to have to be paid back. Basically mortgaging NHS trusts to the hilt.
So part of the trusts funds will forever be lost to this debt.
Also the GPs contracts were changed under labour,no out of hours work making it hard to see a doctor if ill outside 9 to 5! Hence people now seem to head straight to A&E instead of bothering with their GP.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Latest YouGov poll, (field work 08 - 09 Jan):

CON - 32% (-1)
LAB - 32% (-1)
UKIP - 18% (+5)
LDEM - 7% (-1)
GRN - 6% (-1)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports