Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GCSE Results

DC Rules

Could It Be Forever?
Sep 19, 2006
My daughter got 4 A*, 6 A and 2 B. She worked very hard for them and I'm proud of her. Off to Worthing College in September.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
No matter what anyone thinks about GCSE's, you shouldn't go pissing on someone's parade.

Congrats to all who got the grades they wanted.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
No matter what anyone thinks about GCSE's, you shouldn't go pissing on someone's parade.

Congrats to all who got the grades they wanted.

To be honest, unless the GCSE is going to help them do what they want to do in latter life, the only GCSE's that are worthwile are English and Maths (possible a language aswell) they do help you get into college though.

i doubt I will ever use my PE, RE, Geography or Science GCSE's in later life anyway

DC Rules

Could It Be Forever?
Sep 19, 2006
All of the 4 main exam boards call their syllabuses (or should the plural be syllabi?) Religious Studies; it is often referred to still (and in the school I work at) as Religious Education. It is compulsory at my school too, but we are a Church School.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
I think RS is compulsory. I've done 50% of it and I'm year 10, got 69/100 but don't no what grade that is, thats how helpful the website is. Also got an A grade for a module test in physics which is 12.5% of the GCSE :) I've still got all my other exams to look forward to next year :glare:

DC Rules

Could It Be Forever?
Sep 19, 2006
It is compulsory for schools to offer RS but not compulsory for students to take it, unless your school has that rule, which many do, but not all.

DC Rules

Could It Be Forever?
Sep 19, 2006
171123 students took RS GCSE nationally but 732293 took English and 760299 took Maths, so that proves it's not a compulsory subject.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
171123 students took RS GCSE nationally but 732293 took English and 760299 took Maths, so that proves it's not a compulsory subject.

Doesn't that also suggest that English is not a compulsory subect (seeing as not as many people took it as took Maths)?

Something wrong there, surely?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
A fair amount of people may take Maths early, much like myself. ;)

Maths accounted for my worst GCSE grade. mainly due to the fact that I couldn't stand the subject (found, and find to this day, it to be mind-numbinly dull), therefore never felt the inclination to work too hard at it.

Sod taking it early, I'd rather not have had to do it at all.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Doesn't that also suggest that English is not a compulsory subect (seeing as not as many people took it as took Maths)?

Something wrong there, surely?

Not exactly because some people retook maths papers or even retook the whole course while at college and i suppose that is why more people took maths than english.

Is that English Lit or English Lang they are talking about? cos I got a B for Lang (dunno how) and C for Lit

R.E was pointless, I got an E and wouldnt have cared less if i failed altogether. I went to the biggest Catholic school in Brighton (newman) and
the quality of the teaching was, to put it bluntly, f***ing disgraceful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here