Gb, Uk, Bi...?

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Great Britain
United Kingdom
British Isles

So in my Canada 20th Century History class last night we were discussing some sort of foreign policy issue I can't really remember, but then everyone started using Great Britain, the United Kingdom, and the British Isles synonimously. This has always really annoyed me but when should each one be used properly? How can I explain the differences to these people? Thanks

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
We are the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, so when they say Great Britain instead of the UK they are ignoring the norn iron.

Calling us the British Isles is like us referring to them as North Americans.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Great Britain - England, Scotland, Wales.

United Kingdom (Full Name: The United Kingdom Of Great Britain And Northern Ireland) - England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland.

:thumbsup:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
British Isles usually refers to the whole group of islands (including Ireland but don't tell the Irish).

The United Kingdom is England, Scotland, Wales, Croydon and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain doesn't include N. Ireland (the 'Great' is often dropped these days). Hence the United Kingdom is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Go online and try and buy something off a webite and up comes this list as long as your arm of every country in the world, including many that may or mat not actually exist outside of the script of Dynasty. And everytime you have to scroll down the entire damn list to see whether the site wants England, Great Britain or the United Kingdom. One of life's small irritations for sure.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Greetings, algie you disgusting accident. Out on remission?

I am rapdily approaching one whole year since my beard went west. A YEAR.

After 4 months i'm finally back on the net after moving home.Got a new pc to match as well.You can trust an old friend like me to liven up this board again.I can't wait for our ding dongs again :clap2::clap2:

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I don't like how they refer to all of us as "British". It's ENGLISH:thumbsup:

(Well for me anyway!)

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
642px-British_Isles_Euler_diagram.svg.png

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
How about Sark, Herm, Alderney and the Scillies?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Great Britain was so used to distinguish us from Brittania Minor, or Brittany, in France.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The Isle Of Man is NOT part of the United Kingdom OR European Union!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here