Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GAS: and the cost to heat your home

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
We've got a 2 bed house with central heating. We're on a pay as you go card meter.
I put £40 last Friday . We've had the heating on every evening and twice during the day as well last week.
Checked it yesterday and £36 has been used.
They're taking the bloody piss if they think I'm gonna pay £40 a week to keep warm !!!

macky

Dec 28, 2004
guess you will be vety cold thiswinter then But yes it's shameful that the enrgy companies can get away with over pricing the way they are

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
When I lived with my ex and our son....it was hell, we had a 1 bedroom flat and I was using £15 a week on gas and another £15 a week for electric, struggled so badly, it's disgusting nothing gets done

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Fracking. We're apparently sitting on enough shale gas to get us through the next century which should bring energy prices down. It certainly has in America, but we do have more of a rip-off culture here.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I now only have heating on for 1hour in the morning before I go to work and 3 hrs in the evening from 6-9pm and this costs me about £50 a month which I don't feel is too bad. Granted I have reduced the hours of heating this year but I reckon most of us could reduce the number of hours we use and save a fair bit of money. Also turn your thermostat down to say 16 degrees and that saves a fair bit as well.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
yes it's shameful that the enrgy companies can get away with over pricing the way they are

More shameful that loads of us have such energy inefficient homes and waste loads of energy by leaving doors open, not sealing floors, not insulating etc.

But it's a disgrace that energy companies put you on a more expensive tariff if you are on a pre-pay.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Is there a reason you're on a pre pay card? So much more expensive that way

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Is there a reason you're on a pre pay card? So much more expensive that way

Yes, the reason is 2 years ago I was paying by debit an agreed amount EDF had said we need to pay, around £50 per month
Then we get a letter saying we've underpaid and owed them £300 !
Basically I said get stuffed which led to us going on a meter on which they're supposed to take £10 a month to pay off this debt.
As it happens , I've not paid a single Penney towards it as they've given me the wrong plastic card. They did send another card thru the post but I e never used it . Stuff em I say

Yes, the reason is 2 years ago I was paying by debit an agreed amount EDF had said we need to pay, around £50 per month
Basically I said get stuffed which led to us going on a meter on which they're supposed to take £10 a month to pay off this debt.
As it happens , I've not paid a single Penney towards it as they've given me the wrong plastic card. They did send another card thru the post but I e never used it . Stuff em I say

Sounds like they're stuffing you mate, good and proper.

I pay £65 a month for everything on DD and my 2 bed is in need badly of insulation, the f***ing heating is on all day, every day and every bill that comes in we are in credit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
remember global warming? remember how we're supposed to cut back on energy use? remember how the governments have been putting on taxes for this end and also to subsidise wind and solar? remember how we all* said this was important and we'd accept the higher cost for the greater good?

* you didnt? well someone did on your behalf, you know it makes sense.

i suppose they also have to recover non-payments somehow... though tbf i reckon you must either have the thermostat up high, have a fault or window open.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Also depends on what temperature that you have it set on ( 20 degrees should be plenty enough ). We have a one bed flat, heating is on for two hours in the morning and five hours at night. Costs us about forty quid a month with the hot water and cooker.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It sounds as though they've set the prepay meter to collect the debt at a higher rate than £10 a week. Ring them and ask them to check the settings on the meter.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Fracking. We're apparently sitting on enough shale gas to get us through the next century which should bring energy prices down. It certainly has in America, but we do have more of a rip-off culture here.

Never going to happen though its a well known fact that should anything go down in price in this country the Uk will instantly crumble into the Atlantic never to be seen again. Rip off Britain capitalism without competion.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
last year in our own home 5 beds state of the art boiler and double glazing £55 per month by d/d and when we left we got a £478 rebate for over payment(and this when the previous winter we were once at 17 below)
this year rented bungalow 2 beds shit boiler and double glazing you could drive a fecking bus through £136 month by d/d and if we had not got a grant to insulate the roofspace and cavity walls we would have been even more in debt.

I suspect the landlords and landladies of this world all have shares in electricity and gas companies

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here