Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gary Lineker, Micah Richards, Roy Keane, Alan Shearer and Eni Aluko

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Rio is really dull, Micah is trying to be the new Ian Wright but it doesn’t work. Shearer is dull. They need to mix it up a bit but a good grasp of English is important, I remember when they went through the stage of having players who struggled with basic English on. Williams on ITV should not be on TV he’s a thug. I would like to see Ruud Gulit, some of the older faces more ex managers. Sam Allahdyce would be funny.

dippy2449

May 24, 2004
Norfolk
Whatsamatter with SamMatterface?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'll put it out there.... I like Joe Cole.....

Worse is the ex women's footballer who says Ingerland all the time, I have to keep throwable items away when she is on.

Richards is an unfunny buffoon and v annoying. Used to love Wrighty but unfortunatley he seems to have become a bit of parody nowadays and seems to want to out-irritate Richards.

The people and format they use on Amazon often preferable to the Beeb and ITV.

edit - I forgot Henry, he's tres annoying. Sadly, the list of pundits I can listen to seems a short one! (McCoist in small doses is good, like Patrice Evra, Keane is good for panto).

de la zouch

Jul 12, 2007
Fair enough and glad to hear it.
but I generally also agree with the stuff that Lineker expounds about, which I guess is why we see it differently.
I think he declared himself as politically a centrist, which I generally take as economically a capitalist but a belief in a strong and well funded state. It’s when he tweets on geo political issues he’s oft been found to be out of his depth

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
Isn’t that like asking why does TB need to earn more money?
I'm not sure it is entirely, as Mr Bloom wants to run/fund a premier league club, are you suggesting lineker might buy out Leicester! With the wealth of Mr Bloom has he can only be a Tory... can't he?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I try to catch Dutch broadcasts of the Euros lol. The Swedish pundits are too technical and try hard-nerdy, the English ones are too "maybe this will be a good meme/reel" oriented. The Dutch ones are the real deal, I only understand half but they actually say something with some sort of value/interest.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I try to catch Dutch broadcasts of the Euros lol. The Swedish pundits are too technical and try hard-nerdy, the English ones are too "maybe this will be a good meme/reel" oriented. The Dutch ones are the real deal, I only understand half but they actually say something with some sort of value/interest.
You have never heard of Double Dutch then!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Lineker has been in the position too long. About time the Beeb got someone in less Grey and dull.

I get what you’re saying but if it’s not Lineker then right now it’d probably be Alex Scott or Jermaine Jenas. So definitely a case of be careful what you wish for. Much prefer Mark Chapman, who shows there’s still some merit in the host being a good journalist rather than a former player - and asking decent questions.

In all cases though, I think punditry’s become far too chummy. Too many in-jokes which exclude the viewer. And where’s the insight nowadays? In 1998 for instance, ITV had Bobby Robson, Terry Venables and Kevin Keegan… two former and one future England manager. They could tell you what was really going on with the players and in the dressing room. Been there, done it all.

Jul 20, 2003
Chapman wins the 'have a pint with' test for me.

Rather bland and personable.

On the whole it's just flim-flam, hype and f***ing 'bantz'.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
That’s really odd. I find them absolutely awful and they give no real insight whatsoever. Don’t get me started on the people they bring on. NOS is crap, don’t get me started with the nonsense they have on Ziggo either.

I don’t think the Swedish ones are much better but at least they bother to actually talk about football and what’s happening rather than Van der Vaart telling how he could’ve done better whilst he wolfs down his 5th beer of the night.

The only ones with real credit in my experience are their Germans.

Definitely not about the language as I’m fluent in all 3, the Dutch have the worst football coverage outside of Oranje and don’t get me started on the snooze fest which is the commentary.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Rio is really dull, Micah is trying to be the new Ian Wright but it doesn’t work. Shearer is dull. They need to mix it up a bit but a good grasp of English is important, I remember when they went through the stage of having players who struggled with basic English on. Williams on ITV should not be on TV he’s a thug. I would like to see Ruud Gulit, some of the older faces more ex managers. Sam Allahdyce would be funny.
I'll have to get a bigger TV if it's Sam 😬

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
That’s really odd. I find them absolutely awful and they give no real insight whatsoever. Don’t get me started on the people they bring on. NOS is crap, don’t get me started with the nonsense they have on Ziggo either.

I don’t think the Swedish ones are much better but at least they bother to actually talk about football and what’s happening rather than Van der Vaart telling how he could’ve done better whilst he wolfs down his 5th beer of the night.

Definitely not about the language as I’m fluent in all 3, the Dutch have the worst football coverage outside of Oranje and don’t get me started on the snooze fest which is the commentary.

You've warned about it so much there that I'm interested to see what happens if we DO get you started 😃

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Exactly, and thats the good stuff.

In club football I want more analytics and deeper discussions. Club football is for football people.

International football - not the same thing. Its either boring or entertaining. The English lads looking to create a viral video and the Swedish ones dissecting the birth conditions of Cristiano Ronaldo while fearing to have any even remotely controversial opinions both fall into my definition of "boring".

VdV, PvH etc at least express (seemingly) honest opinions. Its certainly not my favorite gang of Dutch footy pundits but I take it (when I can't be arsed to turn the stream off..). Rafael van der Vaart after 5 beers is still less brain damaged than Roy Keane and Alan Shearer.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I would like to see a shift towards having a distinguished journalist on the panel- so many ex pro's have little to no insight, or at least can't communicate that they do (I can't believe that Rio Ferdinand knows as little about football as he portrays) whereas a lot of football writers know loads about tactics and players and are used to presenting that information.
I agree.

James Richardson / AC Jimbo is my favourite football broadcaster. He's very knowledgeable, though doesn't make it about what he thinks, he seems genuinely warm, he's funny (loves a pun).
What's not to like?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here