Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Hart in Today's Argus - Albion needs BANTER.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/albion/albionnews/4580382.Hart_vows_to_bring_back_the_Albion_banter/

Gary Hart has vowed to bring the banter back to Albion's tight-lipped dressing room.

The long-serving striker reckons the current crop of players are too quiet and has called for a return to the days when the likes of Charlie Oatway galvanised his team-mates.

Hart made his comeback from toe surgery as a substitute in last Friday’s 1-1 draw at Millwall.

He followed that up with two goals in the reserves at Leyton Orient in midweek and the 32-year-old will be having his say now that he is back in contention.

“A little bit of banter cheers someone up in the morning,” he said. “They might not like it but it makes them smile.

“You have just got to have voices around the camp, because a lot of people are a little bit quiet.

“We have got a lot of youngsters, a lot of newcomers that don’t want to talk yet because they are a little bit unsure about what they can say. It’s coming along, so it’s up to us older lads to try and keep it going.”

Albion chase an elusive first win of the season against Peter Taylor’s Wycombe Wanderers at Withdean tomorrow.

Hart was a regular in the charismatic Seagulls team Taylor guided to the League One title in 2001-2002.

“I was the quiet one then,” he said. “We had a lot of characters and strong voices in those days. The banter was there constantly and that is what you need at a football club.

“When I leave football that is what I am going to miss the most. Not playing in front of crowds so much as the every day banter with the lads.

“We haven’t got that at the moment. Sometimes a few people are bickering but we need to get back those strong voices.

“It’s a young squad, so it’s bound to be like that, but we need a few Charlie Oatways.

“Charlie is helping out a little bit. He was at the reserve game the other day and it was like the old days, sitting in the changing room while he was given us a team talk.

“He was giving us banter and slagging me off, calling me ‘cod eyes’ and stuff like that.

“I don’t mind that, because it perks me up and gets me wound up, then I am ready for the game.”

Cod eyes :lolol::lolol:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I have thought this for a while. The old seige mentality and gnarled old pros served us so well back then.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think banter will naturally come as results come and the players relax into their roles.

A lot of the new lads who are still settling are probably less in the mood for "banter" pre and during games, as the fact we still haven't won in 6 games will be playing on their minds.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Did Easy 10 make up that bit about cod eyes? :lol:

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
We lack strong voices on the pitch I think.
exactly , at some point Tommy Elphick has the "model" to be the aggressive captain - but still not quite yet

no voice is leading to no responsibility - ok Michels probably the closest to being the vocal man but by the time the ball gets his way we're f**ked quite frankly

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Not sure I'd miss playing infront of the Withdean crowd (moan, winge etc)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
exactly , at some point Tommy Elphick has the "model" to be the aggressive captain - but still not quite yet

no voice is leading to no responsibility - ok Michels probably the closest to being the vocal man but by the time the ball gets his way we're f**ked quite frankly

Virgo should shout a bit more seeing as he is the captain.

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
“We haven’t got that at the moment. Sometimes a few people are bickering but we need to get back those strong voices."

Bickering - no wonder they can't pass to each other!

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
“They might not like it but it makes them smile."

don't really understand that one but, get in there Gary

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Well im sure on saturday we can all do our bit and if on the bench start chanting for old cod eyes to come on for 20 mins

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sadly I cannot claim credit for the GENIUS nickname "cod eyes". :lolol:

Nice one Charlie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here