Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Doherty

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Dont think he will be top of our shopping list. Those wanting to sign him ask yourself the question if he is so good why have Norwich released him.

Thats what the Norwich fans are saying, none of them understand why he's been released as they rate him, hence voting him 3rd best player of the season. Most of them think he'll find a championship club anyway.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I think he would be a great signing, for the reasons others have articulated. Experienced and whenever I have seen him play he's looked a good centre-half. We could do a lot worse.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well I will go on record and put myself up to be slated but I hope that Gus doesnt even give him a 2nd thought. He is a slow. cumbersome, hoof it type central defender the like of which we do not need. We have moved on from those type players hopefully.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Well I will go on record and put myself up to be slated but I hope that Gus doesnt even give him a 2nd thought. He is a slow. cumbersome, hoof it type central defender the like of which we do not need. We have moved on from those type players hopefully.

I prefer 'solid' to 'hoof it'! I think in principle you are right, but in central defence we first of all need a good defender rather than a ball player. If we can get someone who does both then happy days!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I prefer 'solid' to 'hoof it'! I think in principle you are right, but in central defence we first of all need a good defender rather than a ball player. If we can get someone who does both then happy days!

If we are to sign Doherty we might just as well have kept Virgo unless of course his wage demands are less but I doubt that. Given the choice I would sooner that we signed the one from Leeds, whose name alludes me at the moment.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
If we are to sign Doherty we might just as well have kept Virgo unless of course his wage demands are less but I doubt that. Given the choice I would sooner that we signed the one from Leeds, whose name alludes me at the moment.

Fair point, although Doherty is proven at a higher level than Virgo.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Presume you mean Michalik? But someone stated he's desperate to move abroad, but i see where your coming from. These "ball playing" centre halves often have weaknesses, and will at this level, because otherwise they'd be playing in the Premier league. If a defender is quick footed, good on the ball etc, its unlikely he'll be a big lump who can do the dirty work and win 90% of headers.
All the teams in the play-offs and automatic, well, possibly bar Milwall, have a big "old fashioned" center half. Naylor, Clarke, Doherty, Greer, Dailly.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Elphick is a hoof it player. Maybe not slow though. Seems to be the only player in the squad who still doesnt quite get the passing that Poyet wants

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Elphick is a hoof it player. Maybe not slow though. Seems to be the only player in the squad who still doesnt quite get the passing that Poyet wants

Couldn't disagree more. Under Poyet he is clearly under instructions not to hoof it. Now when he get's possesion he's always looking for - and usually
finding - players in space. Some of his long passes to the wings have been a revelation. OK he doesn't get it right every time, but there has been a significant improvement in this aspect of his game.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Elphick is developing into more of ball player but I would like to see an out and out ball player alongside of him and for him to dominate the high balls in the Foster / Lawrenson or Stevens mould with his parttner covering him more on the ground.

I dont think that either him or El Abd are good enough on the ground to sign Doherty to take over the Foster role.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Imo Doherty would be a great signing and not just in Div 1 for a season. Soild centre half who could easily play in the championship. Would also be good for Elphick, they could make quite a formidable pairing for at least a few seasons.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Couldn't disagree more. Under Poyet he is clearly under instructions not to hoof it. Now when he get's possesion he's always looking for - and usually
finding - players in space. Some of his long passes to the wings have been a revelation. OK he doesn't get it right every time, but there has been a significant improvement in this aspect of his game.

I agree....have also noticed his long range passing improve greatly and his general play HAS improved significantly under GP's management.

Imo Doherty would be a great signing and not just in Div 1 for a season. Soild centre half who could easily play in the championship. Would also be good for Elphick, they could make quite a formidable pairing for at least a few seasons.

Yes, agree.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
We can't go on a title-run with those two tender souls at the back. I'd have the Doh there. Not perfect, but incredibly strong and should have enough experience to not be caught out of position very often, as the current two can sometimes be. With a sure-footed back 4, then we wouldn't have to play a 4-5-1 and could even launch a Barca or Arsenal 4-3-3 attack-minded formation to maraud the division with.

I concur, well said MB!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
With Virgo gone I am pretty confident a centre half is on the shopping list, and it will be a starting 11 centre back so either Elphick or El Abd will be under immense threat for there positions.

Docherty would be perfect, anyone who thinks that he isnt a considerable improvement on what we have really isnt thinking straight, sure we want a ball playing centre half if we can get one, bet lets have a rock solid centre half who is going to win those big aerial battles you get in League 1, hes vastly experienced, still only 30 and has played at a higher level than Lg1 his whole career bar last season.

On saying all that, there is no way we can afford him and he will go to a championship side for sure.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here