Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Dicker - Most Underrated Albion Player ?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Right.... Dicker, Barnes...?!.... where do I start?.... second thoughts, I can't be bothered.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think it has to be Barnes, 41 goals in 117 games for us, including being our top scorer last season, at the age of 22, and yet he is continually slated on here, albeit by 'people who don't understand football' (copyright Gus Poyet).

Dicker is our longest serving player bar El-Abd and a key part of our promotion 2 seasons back, so I am very much a fan of his and he rarely lets us down. I think there's better in the squad than him but that's no reason to be abusive at him (I can't see the post above mine as the guy is on my ignore list, but I can imagine what it says).

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
Best passer of the ball at the club,when you play with 2 wingers you must have someone in the side who can pass like him. It was a shame he did not start last night ahead of Hammond ???

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Don't post then.
Dont worry matey, I wont go away, I shall remain as I see it, one of the voices of reason on this subject,...... I continue to say it how I and many others, see it.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Well he replaced the so called MOM and filled the gap in midfield that had been there all game.

This. It was obvious how much Dicker was missed in the first half. As soon as he came on the ball moved a lot quicker and accurately in the middle.

Hammond has had 2 terrible games, I'm surprised he started. He looks so anxious on the ball and rushes with it.

Another thing he did twice last night and a few times on Saturday is run the ball to the right wing completely square and with his back to the game then turn and find himself boxed in. Weird.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
No he's not. He's either brilliant like tonight, or a liabilty. Never just average. Unfortunately he's not brilliant very often.

Alas, so, so true.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The good thing about Dicker is he is one of the few non-Spanish players who has a quick brain and often knows the pass he is going to play before the ball has arrived at his feet. Not the quickest player in the world, I grant you, but like Bill Shankly said, the first five yards are in your head.

An obvious asset to the team.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Scholes obviously was world-class but that's because he was a big goalscorer too, which Dicker has never had in his game. What you can definitely say in Dicker's favour is that he fits our style well and Gus has said he's a player he can rely on to carry out his instructions. As I said though, pace is such a big part of modern football and you have to be VERY good to succeed without it.

True.
I don't think he'd be the player he is if he did have that pace though. He wouldn't have spent his upbringing and slightly unspectacular football career being an intelligent, ball-stroking and poking player if he had the power to charge and burst with pace in his heels. I agree that he should look a little more to blast a few shots home from distance, and i like to think that can be programmed into him. But i suppose in essence his job is to accurately pass it to those who can do certain things better than him and that in itself is a blessing.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
But you said nothing, sums up what you were thinking I suppose.
Last time then,... Barnes and Dicker offer nothing more than squad 2nd line capabilities. They are both slow of thought and foot. They are good club men, but add nothing much of value if you aspire to the upper reaches of the Championship,... which we do..... ok for you TITus?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Last time then,... Barnes and Dicker offer nothing more than squad 2nd line capabilities. They are both slow of thought and foot. They are good club men, but add nothing much of value if you aspire to the upper reaches of the Championship,... which we do..... ok for you TITus?

I look at the table, I see the personnel playing, and I consider how the former has been attained by the latter, all of which undermine your point.

Is it sustainable? Who knows? No-one is in a position to say definitively one way or the other right now.

As said earlier, Dicker is one of the few non-Spanish players capable of seeing a pass before the ball arrives at his feet. Slow of thought is one thing he is not.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I look at the table, I see the personnel playing, and I consider how the former has been attained by the latter, all of which undermine your point.

Is it sustainable? Who knows? No-one is in a position to say definitively one way or the other right now.

As said earlier, Dicker is one of the few non-Spanish players capable of seeing a pass before the ball arrives at his feet. Slow of thought is one thing he is not.

Agreed. If Dicker could move a little quicker (which is never going to happen folks), he would be a wonderful player.

Yoda

English & European

Really? If Dicker is slow of thought, what about Bridcutt? GD played a lovely lay off for Bridcutt to run on to and shoot from the edge of the D towards the end. The trouble was, Bridcutt didn't read it and the defence picked it off.

Oh, and who got the moans aimed at them? You guess it. Gary Dicker :nono:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
True.
I don't think he'd be the player he is if he did have that pace though. He wouldn't have spent his upbringing and slightly unspectacular football career being an intelligent, ball-stroking and poking player if he had the power to charge and burst with pace in his heels. I agree that he should look a little more to blast a few shots home from distance, and i like to think that can be programmed into him. But i suppose in essence his job is to accurately pass it to those who can do certain things better than him and that in itself is a blessing.

Good points well made, MB.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
True.

Good points well made, MB.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Ive never been a huge fan of Dickers to be honest, too slow, gives the ball away too easily in dangerous positions etc - but I'll admit I think he's been one of our best players the last few games. His passing has been superb on the whole & I actually found myself saying we should bring him on for Hammond at halftime last night. Really didnt think Id ever hear myself say that & even the missus did a double take.....If he keeps it up this season it can only be good for the team I reckon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here