Gary Barlow - Order of the British Empire

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
At least it was only an OBE.

Kenneth Branagh got a knighthood, presumably for services to luvvie-dom.

Good actor & all that, but I'm not convinced that alone merits us having to call him Sir. What is it about those of the thespian persuasion that seems to put them on the fast track to knighthoods?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Good actor & all that, but I'm not convinced that alone merits us having to call him Sir. What is it about those of the thespian persuasion that seems to put them on the fast track to knighthoods?

Luvviedom *and* "services to the community in Northern Ireland" where I don't think he even lives anymore. That might be the service.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Luvviedom *and* "services to the community in Northern Ireland" where I don't think he even lives anymore. That might be the service.

Yeah. He's served Northern Ireland so well he moved away years ago and has completely erased all trace of a local accent...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yeah. He's served Northern Ireland so well he moved away years ago and has completely erased all trace of a local accent...

I seem to remember reading that he left Northern Ireland for England at quite a young age and developed an English accent to stop being bullied at school.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... What is it about those of the thespian persuasion that seems to put them on the fast track to knighthoods?

i think theatre is seen as a higher art form, and probably those making the nominations and decisions go to theatre. i recall untill relativly recently "popstars" didnt get awards for their profession but for charity. wasnt Cliff the first to be awarded for services to pop music or somthing?

Cameron does not decide them the Queen does.

You're wrong their mate.

The list is presented by Downing Street and the Queen in her ceremonial role just signs it off.

Barlow is a massive bell end in my eyes.
And how does Downing Street compile the list?

They invite nominations from organisations like councils. I remember my then boss at East Sussex County Council trying to get an MBE for someone in Bexhill who had helped the Highways and Transportation Department with a project that we were pushing, only to discover that the guy already had an OBE.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Barlow writes a song for the Queen. 2 weeks later gets an OBE. Bullshit doesn't the Monarchy have a say. :facepalm:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think I'm right in saying that it seems to be a regular event.....

You could say the same about Sir Alex of Ferguson though.

Good Premiership manager, but two CL wins in 25 years, whilst managing the richest club in the world for a significant portion of that time, is hardly an amazing return.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Whether you like their music or not, he's NOT a nobody and it isn't a 'minor' gong.

Is there any HINEY ART of someone receiving a gong?

I do recall one where I think you were delivering a DONG to another NSC'er, but suspect that it is no longer available to view!

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Didn't everyone else see the pre-Jubilee Concert coverage and think, "that Tory lickspittle Barlow is a shoe-in for a gong in the next honours list"? In our household, this was the least surprising news since they announced that the Pope was Catholic.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003

Remember seeing Dennis Pennis catch him coming out of one of his premieres and asking if it's worth going to see the film in the cinema or should he wait 2 weeks and rent the video.

I've no objection to people receiving awards for doing something extra, something special. I object to the 'services to music', 'services to football' b***cks that is spouted. 'Services to the bank balance' closer to the truth. Anyone who's ever been a tax exile can f**k right off when it comes to getting gongs ... imho ... and breathe.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Is there any HINEY ART of someone receiving a gong?

I do recall one where I think you were delivering a DONG to another NSC'er, but suspect that it is no longer available to view!
:D:p

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-06-17 at 16.23.35.png
    Screen shot 2012-06-17 at 16.23.35.png
    181.4 KB · Views: 17

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here