Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Southgate

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Actually bloody good as a pundit isn't he.

Certainly a massive improvement on his penalty and managerial skills

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Anyone who spunks millions of pounds on players like Afonso Alves is clearly in the wrong job, I think he's more at home in the studio.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
The way he talks about what a manger should do when got sacked by Middlesbrough does my head in. When he keeps it general does a say a lot of sense though

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Just caught the end of the Ivory Coast and Portugal game on the radio, they had Robbie Savage as a pundit, have to say he was bloody hilarious. At half time he said that he wouldn't take his match fee because there hadn't been any football to pass comment on, at full-time he announced that he would donate it to charity. He also took the mickey, in a gentle way, out of his fellow commentator...a breath of fresh air, long may he continue!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
The way he talks about what a manger should do when got sacked by Middlesbrough does my head in. When he keeps it general does a say a lot of sense though

Yes, but the reason he got sacked by Middlesbrough was utterly ridiculous.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Yes, but the reason he got sacked by Middlesbrough was utterly ridiculous.

Not really got them relegated which should have been enough.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Wasn't he a candidate for our previous vacancy? I like him, he is articulate & knowledgable & a definate improvement on Andy bloody Townsend. The quality of pundits this tournament seems pretty shite overall with some requiring subtitles.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Ferguson bought berbatov or 3 times as
much as alvez, does that make him a bad manager? The guy had scored about 35 goals in holland. It wasn't a silly signing, so to say that's a sign of bad managemet is mad. He developed Adam Johnson but let's ignore that.

He had boro in second in the champ and was sacked. Strachan has spent millions and got them nowhere.

I think he will still succeed in management and is itvs best (of a bad bunch, mind)

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Ferguson bought berbatov or 3 times as
much as alvez, does that make him a bad manager? The guy had scored about 35 goals in holland. It wasn't a silly signing, so to say that's a sign of bad managemet is mad. He developed Adam Johnson but let's ignore that.

He had boro in second in the champ and was sacked. Strachan has spent millions and got them nowhere.

I think he will still succeed in management and is itvs best (of a bad bunch, mind)

Agree with every last word.
Alves was signed with a prolific record in Holland, better than that of Huntelaar (wanted by United, Arsenal, Spurs etc) and Kuyt, Babel etc. He has also played for Brazil 8 times, so was well worth a punt, and teams like Middlesborough are hardly capable of picking and choosing when it comes to top strikers. Was harshly dismissed at Middlesborough, and as you say, Strachan has spunked money and got them nowhere.

SeagullSi

Jan 10, 2010
Not really got them relegated which should have been enough.

Would have been a fair time to sack him after the relegation season but having kept him on it was a crazy decision to sack him during a strong showing in the championship

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
My wife knows his mum! :laugh:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Anyone who spunks millions of pounds on players like Afonso Alves is clearly in the wrong job, I think he's more at home in the studio.

Actually, their chairman (Steve Gibson isn't it?), admitted that he was the main instigator in the signing of Alves, not Southgate.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I find him knowledgeable and entertaining. He also gives the impression that he is really at home and enjoying it.

I would guess that he would want far more to manage us than we would pay. Our job is a nice little number at the moment though, money to spend and several previous years of mediocrity. Let us see what Gus can put together for this coming season.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Agree with every last word.
Alves was signed with a prolific record in Holland, better than that of Huntelaar (wanted by United, Arsenal, Spurs etc) and Kuyt, Babel etc. He has also played for Brazil 8 times, so was well worth a punt, and teams like Middlesborough are hardly capable of picking and choosing when it comes to top strikers. Was harshly dismissed at Middlesborough, and as you say, Strachan has spunked money and got them nowhere.

Thing is though, scoring a lot of goals in the Dutch league often doesn't mean much. As Man City found when they bought Samaras. And that bloke Suarez of Uruguay who scored 48 or something ridiculous for Ajax this year - total crap the other night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here