Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gareth Barry drinking in Hurstpierpoint

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
A good friend of mine used to run the New Inn during the 90s or at least his family did. Haven't been back to Hurst since my grandparents both died.

As for Barry, it seems the best way to force a transfer through is to have a breakdown of communication with the club and criticise them in the press. I don't know the ins and outs of the whole saga, but Martion O'Neill and Villa deserve a bit more respect from him. I love the way 'Champions League football' is always mooted as the only reason for wanting to leave.

It's a shit hole Paul.All the pubs are in Hurst

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I didn't think it was that bad. It had a nice beer garden and it seemed to be very popular at the time.

I grew up in Hurst and went to school there.It's a dump.Beer garden is not all that.But there again good company makes a pub and the New Inn lacks that as well.Much rather drink in the Thatch In Hassocks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As for Barry, it seems the best way to force a transfer through is to have a breakdown of communication with the club and criticise them in the press. I don't know the ins and outs of the whole saga, but Martion O'Neill and Villa deserve a bit more respect from him.

i think Barry has been quite good about it all, he could have left a couple of times in the past and has stayed on to see if things were turning around. its becoming apparent that Villa are not going to get anywhere, happy to settle for 5/6th underdogs who cant break into the top 4. he wants a change and step up after 10 years (not many players are due a testimonial at 27) and i cant really fault him for wanting to push it along.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I didn't think it was that bad. It had a nice beer garden and it seemed to be very popular at the time.

I guess Mr Bignall's has closed as I imagine he died years ago. :down:

Mr Bignalls! Now that takes me back. I'd forgotten it ever existed.

Don't worry though, the Mint House is still there, and it hasn't changed a bit: still has the same crappy selection of books, mostly by Alan Titchmarsh, alongside a range of post-it notes and fountain pens
:thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Mr Bignalls! Now that takes me back. I'd forgotten it ever existed.

Don't worry though, the Mint House is still there, and it hasn't changed a bit: still has the same crappy selection of books, mostly by Alan Titchmarsh, alongside a range of post-it notes and fountain pens
:thumbsup:

Mr Bignalls was fantastic, I remember going there as a small child, a far better shop than Co-op.

The New Inn got refurbished about 18 months ago, it's not quite as dingy as it used to be. Apparently the garden has just been done up but I haven't visited it yet.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Mr Bignall was a legend! Ah, The Mint House, Fads, Tiffany's, Mr Legg's paper shop, Swan dry cleaners, Hilton's electronics....it all takes me back!

Not forgetting Rideaway Cylces, my first Bike came from there

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
you take that back!
no seriously, they did up the new inn about a year and a half ago, and now it resembles a trendy wine bar.. i much prefered it as a dump..

Sounds like it has improved there.Prefer the Poachers purely because it shows skysports even though thats a dump as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here