Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

garage conversion help needed

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
i hope there is someone who can help with some advice.

We have a open flue boiler in the garage and want to convert the garage to a bedroom. other than moving the boiler is there anything else that can be done to make this safe?

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
i hope there is someone who can help with some advice.

We have a open flue boiler in the garage and want to convert the garage to a bedroom. other than moving the boiler is there anything else that can be done to make this safe?

As long as you put the correct flue conversion on and enough ventilation (airbrick outside hit and miss vent inside) then it will be fine

You will HAVE to get a conversion certificate from a corgi registered installer pm me if you want a contact

gasgull

Nov 14, 2003
Newick
sorry different advice.
you cant convert any open flue boiler!!!!and you certainly cannot have an open flue in a bedroom.
Against all corgi and SAFETY regs..
The only thing you can do is relplace it with a room sealed appliance or move it to a new position..

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
sorry different advice.
you cant convert any open flue boiler!!!!and you certainly cannot have an open flue in a bedroom.
The only thing you can do is relplace it with a room sealed appliance or move it to a new position..

Can you not get a sealed flue conversion??

If your above advice is true then a certain local council is issuing illegal certificates

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
sorry different advice.

thanks i have now found out that the boiler is a fan flue boiler can you have this type of boiler in a bedroom if not can the garage be used as any other room.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
thanks i have now found out that the boiler is a fan flue boiler can you have this type of boiler in a bedroom if not can the garage be used as any other room.
A fanned flue boiler is fine in a bedroom but i would still concider moving it, perhaps to the loft, as fanned flue boilers can get a bit noisy with age.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
sorry different advice.

Thats what I was thinking. An open flue boiler in a bedroom has been a big no no for years. In fact any space that may be used as a bedroom whether it is a designated bedroom or not.

I believe that you can have an open flue gas fire in a bedroom though as long as it is less than 7KW and the relevant pilot cutout. Although this may have changed since I last read the regs.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
I believe that you can have an open flue gas fire in a bedroom though as long as it is less than 7KW and the relevant pilot cutout. Although this may have changed since I last read the regs.

Although I know nothing about boilers I run a shop that sells gas fires and yes, you can still have a modern gas fire in a bedroom so long as it is under 7kw

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think if you left it in the room in time you would regret not moving it to the loft.
Be well worth the extra money in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here