Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gap in National Insurance Contributions

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It's 30 years for men and women. You have 4 years to catch up on.

Driver8 -- any significance to your username? I've seen it before on another forum.

No significance, just my favourite REM track and I drive 30,000 plus miles a year so always seem to be in my car!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My wife got a letter last week advising her that there is a gap in her NICs for the 2010-11 tax year.

Now, she already has 26 qualifying years of NICs towards her state pension. They have said she can pay £614.55 to make up the gap. This seems a staggering amount.

I know she doesn't have to pay it but my question is, if she doesn't pay it or doesn't work another four years before she retires, will she simply get 26/30 (87%) of the state pension or is there some other calculation that I don't know about?

I paid 2 years catch up contributions when the qualifying years for men was set at 44 to get a full pension. When it was equalised with women I already had 30 qualifying years :rant:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My wife got a letter last week advising her that there is a gap in her NICs for the 2010-11 tax year.

Now, she already has 26 qualifying years of NICs towards her state pension. They have said she can pay £614.55 to make up the gap. This seems a staggering amount.

I know she doesn't have to pay it but my question is, if she doesn't pay it or doesn't work another four years before she retires, will she simply get 26/30 (87%) of the state pension or is there some other calculation that I don't know about?

If your missus is going to work at least another 4 years and pay enough NICs there is no need to cough up. If she still falls short of qualifying years the pension will be pro rata , in most cases this is made up with pension credit unless she has been foolish and set aside savings which are above the threshold limit.

Last edited:

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
I paid 2 years catch up contributions when the qualifying years for men was set at 44 to get a full pension. When it was equalised with women I already had 30 qualifying years :rant:
I was in the same position, but didn't pay because I thought 40 years was full contributions and I could still make that through employment. This was shortly before the announcement of that concession, which was designed to benefit women.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here