Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gaming Laptop

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
i bought a gaming laptop a few weeks ago from novatech. it's the x80, the one with the orange trim around the edge, over your budget though if you could be tempted it's a fantastic laptop. but my son has the x60 from them and plays football manager live on it just fine. it cost about £600 i think. i am not a techy geek but he plays fm live on that as well as things like half life, bioshock, portal with no problems.

this is his one
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/range.html?t=nb&c=gaming&r=X60

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
i bought a gaming laptop a few weeks ago from novatech. it's the x80, the one with the orange trim around the edge, over your budget though if you could be tempted it's a fantastic laptop. but my son has the x60 from them and plays football manager live on it just fine. it cost about £600 i think. i am not a techy geek but he plays fm live on that as well as things like half life, bioshock, portal with no problems.

this is his one
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/range.html?t=nb&c=gaming&r=X60

Thanks a lot. Will look into this.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Will FML not run on a mac?

It runs on newer Macs (ie Intel ones - MacBooks and MacBook pros)

not PowerPC (older Mac laptops such as PowerBook and iBook.)

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
As some of you may know, I am a committed Appleophile and have numerous iGadgets.

However, I am looking to get a Windows (shudder) laptop specifically for gaming. (Even more specifically for Football Manager Live gaming).

I know Dell do good deals, and have looked at other high end gaming laptops, but I want people's suggestions for good performance laptops at reasonable prices. (Under £800 if possible.)

Why buy a Windows laptop? Get a 15" or 17" MacBook Pro, a copy of Windows XP, and either Parallels or VMware Fusion virtualisation software.

That way once Windows is installed, take a back up of the Windows partition so that when viruses, malware, spyware, etc, etc screw up Windows, all you have to do is delete and restore your back up. Simple.

Ah, I've just seen your budget, so what I've just typed may not be applicable any more. I still think it's a worthy alternative if you can stretch your budget.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why buy a Windows laptop? Get a 15" or 17" MacBook Pro, a copy of Windows XP, and either Parallels or VMware Fusion virtualisation software.

That way once Windows is installed, take a back up of the Windows partition so that when viruses, malware, spyware, etc, etc screw up Windows, all you have to do is delete and restore your back up. Simple.

Ah, I've just seen your budget, so what I've just typed may not be applicable any more. I still think it's a worthy alternative if you can stretch your budget.

Have considered such things, but unfortunately budget is a big issue at the moment.

How much do you think it would cost to do all that?

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Have considered such things, but unfortunately budget is a big issue at the moment.

How much do you think it would cost to do all that?

I couldn't tell you off the top of my head, but I look at it a different way. Having had a PowerBook for four and a half years, the amount of time and effort saved in not having to deal with all the crap that comes with Windows is worth the extra expense up front.

And you'll be learning how to use virtualisation tools, which will probably be a handy skill to have in the future (if you're in IT, that is)

coleman.will

Feb 14, 2008
you'd have to remortgage your house to get a halfway decent macbook pro or watever the equivalent apple laptop is nowadays, so overpriced for wat you get.
same goes for alienware.
get either acer or sony vaio

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I don't know what a shit60 is, but yes I had a PS2.

Xbox is owning PS3 is almost every way. Graphics are just as good, far better price, better online facilities, better games line up. Not fussed about Blu Ray as have perfectly good DVD collection.

The only reason you would want a PS3 for gaming is for Gran Turismo....when that comes out is anybody's guess however.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The only reason you would want a PS3 for gaming is for Gran Turismo....when that comes out is anybody's guess however.

I would bet my house that wouldn't be Sony exclusive for more than another 1-2 years.

Reasons for buying a PS3:

Console Exclusive Final Fantasy....oh.
Console Exclusive Tekken...oh.

robbyford182

Dec 19, 2008
Reasons for buying a PS3:

Also better control pads.
Blu Ray, which is tons better than normal DVD.
Wireless included as standard.
Free online facilities (no subscription necessary).

Other than that they are pretty comparable machines, except with Sony you're not giving your money to B.Gates!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here